Replay Earth by Mark Schlack

Replay Earth

by Mark Schlack

422,411,105 (3.5)None
Recently added byRCrisp, dadalo, mschlack, EarlyReviewers

This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Replay of Earth By Mark Schlack

You will find an intriguing story of the not-so distant future of the Earth. A series of earthquakes, severe storms including Tsunami flooding, weather changes and polar ice caps melting led to the downfall of life, as we knew it. Human beings displaced by these tragedies and struggled to survive. A bright light of hope was due to the Guardians, aliens from other worlds who watched over the Earth, tried to intervene on the behalf of Mankind. They believed that it would eventually result in our complete annihilation because of our desire for power and money. With the assistance of several of the Guardians who found hope for our world, helped to plant the seed of empathy and connected our minds through a support system to change the way we thought of life. Large corporations tried to take over the world and the battle begins.
  RCrisp | Dec 4, 2018 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
This is the story of Raefe and Lina, who are living on the east coast of the US amongst millions of refugees due to horrendous floods. Raefe, Lina (and their children later to come) are watched by aliens known as the Guardians who work to introduce intelligent life into the galaxy.

At some point early in the story Raefe and Lina are separated and Raefe starts on a quest to be reunited. The Guardians discover that Raefe has powers to lead. At the time, dissension grows among the Guardians, a rogue seizes control, putting plans for earth in question. The story line continues with Raefe and Lina leading a billion refugees and the Guardians facing their own internal conflicts.

When I took creative writing courses, the first maxim we learned, which was continually pounded into our heads was "show, don't tell." My experience of reading Replay Earth was that Schlack spent too much time telling us, rather than showing us. There is a particularly long passage around page 200 where he espouses his opinion of how his SF world illustrates the point he is trying to make about climate change and the economy today. It would have been a more enjoyable read had he been able to weave that into the text more than he did. On the other hand, All I really needed to read was page 200.

One gnawing problem for me was the mixture of scientific units of measurement of distance. For short distances, he used SI units (e.g, centimeters, meters) and for longer measurements he used the US system of miles. The authors seems to have a fondness for the term "billions" which repeats itself several times over in the book, in different contexts. It looses it's effect after a while.

I thought the book started off well, with a nice interaction between Raefe, Lina and the Guardians, but a significant transition (spoiler removed) The text went downhill for me, into less show, more tell, to an obvious conclusion.

Note to publisher: I am grateful to have had the opportunity to review "Replay Earth" but reading a pdf copy was very limiting. If it is techncally possible for you, distributing epub or mobi copies for ereaders would allow reviewers to resize text to make it more accessible to their particular reading situation. Calibre cannot convert pdf to mobi for Kindle devices. ( )
  dadalo | Dec 1, 2018 |

Raefe and Lina are two twenty-somethings trying to start a life in the mid-21st century. He’s beset by crippling migraines, she’s trying to outpace the horrors of the genocide she escaped as a child. Their lives are upended by floods that turn 10 million people on the East Coast into refugees.

But all is not lost. Twenty light years away, a group of ancient and advanced alien civilizations known as the Guardians works to nudge intelligent life in the galaxy past the point of self-destruction that humans are teetering on. They realize that Raefe’s headaches stem from his particularly strong empathic nature, a clue that can be the key to human survival. They make contact with Raefe and begin to show him how to use those powers for good.

But all is not well among the aliens either. A rogue Guardian seizes control of the group, perverting its aims and sabotaging their mission on Earth.

What follows is a 30-year adventure in which Raefe and Lina ultimately lead a billion refugees around the world to gradually become a new kind of nation, with new kinds of economic and social relationships. Inside the Guardians, Diver and her allies lead a guerrilla campaign to restore the group to its mission and continue to mentor Earth. It all comes to a head in 2082 in an inspiring showdown that changes history forever.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers

Mark Schlack's book Replay Earth is currently available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,240,808 books! | Top bar: Always visible