My Love Story

by Tina Turner, Deborah Davis (Author), Dominik Wichmann (Author)

Biography & Autobiography. Nonfiction. HTML:In this New York Times bestseller, Tina Turnerâ??the long-reigning queen of rock & roll and living legendâ??reveals personal stories she's never told before in print or film, about her complicated relationship with her mother, the tragic death of her son, and finally finding true love with Erwin, setting the record straight about her illustrious career in this eye-opening and compelling memoir.

My Love Story is an explosive and inspiring story of a woman who dared to break any barriers put in her way. Emphatically showcasing Tina's signature blend of strength, energy, heart, and soul, this is a gorgeously wrought memoir as enthralling and moving as any of her greatest
… (more)

English (5)  Italian (1)  All languages (6)
Tina Turner is an amazing woman. My Love Story chronicles the numerous hardships she endured and the amazing triumphs she achieved. Even during the darkest sections of her life, she rebounded and faced life with enthusiasm, energy, drive and purpose. An inspirational read, uplifting and fulfilling. I particularly enjoyed the sections wherein she met and performed with some of her musical heroes. ( )
  LordSlaw | Feb 24, 2024 |
Growing up in a home filled with music it’s no surprise that I grew up with Tina Turner. With her strong voice and vivacious attitude I always admired her talent, her style, that amazing smile, and those amazing legs! I fell in love with her and her music first but when I saw What’s Love Got To Do With It that admiration went through the roof. What she endured at the hands of Ike was beyond horrifying and I am so thankful that she was able to escape, and just down the street from where I grew up too!

Though I felt like I knew Tina after listening to her music and watching a movie based on her life, it wasn’t until I was able to listen to My Love Story on audiobook that I truly feel that connection on a deep, visceral level. I loved that this was Tina telling her story. There is no better authority of a tale than ones own voice and though I know the narrator’s voice did not sound like Tina’s I still felt like it was her speaking much of the time. The narrator’s inflection and overall vibe while telling Tina’s story was spot on, so I must give a huge shoutout to the narrator.

When I pressed play I pretty much didn’t stop until I had listened to the entire story in one day. I felt a sense of nostalgia when Tina talked about her various collaborations with 80’s rockers as the music landscape during that time was a huge part of my childhood. In many ways I feel like I grew up with Tina Turner and her going back in time also sent me back in time. I am thankful that she didn’t overly embellish when she was talking about her years with Ike, but listening to what she went through was still so incredibly hard to hear. She was such a strong and loving woman and it hurt so much to hear about everything she had to endure.

I wish Tina didn’t have to have such a hard life but I am so grateful that her last years were filled with love and everything her heart desired. I cried when I heard that she had passed away like I had lost a dear friend. She will be forever missed as I don’t think there will ever be another like her. I am thankful that she poured her heart out on these pages and I am glad I finally got a chance to hear it. ( )
  cflores0420 | Nov 23, 2023 |
From her early years in Nutbush, Tennessee to her rise to fame alongside Ike Turner to her phenomenal success in the 1980s and beyond, Tina candidly examines her personal history, from her darkest hours to her happiest moments and everything in between. My Love Story is an explosive and inspiring story.

Tina Turner, the long-reigning queen of rock n' roll and living legend, sets the record straight about her illustrious career and complicated personal life in this eye-opening and compelling memoir. From her early years in Nutbush, Tennessee to her rise to fame alongside Ike Turner to her phenomenal success in the 1980s and beyond, Tina candidly examines her personal history, from her darkest hours to her happiest moments and everything in between. “My Love Story” is an explosive and inspiring story.

Even though the chapters were read by Heather Alicia Simms. I could hear Turners voice and her honest thoughts, emotions, feelings in her own words. Singing was both a form of expression and a source of comfort for Mrs. Turner, which exemplifies why she was so good at her craft. Ike Turner nicknamed “Pistol Whippin’” was an angry and unpredictable man with an infamous dark side. Like Tina, many of Ike’s struggles began at birth. When he was a boy, he watched his father die a slow, painful death. When he was older, he had a hard time at school. he was embarrassed about his lack of education and his poor manners. Success would be his revenge. Ike Turner was verbally abusive, then became physically abusive and controlling. Their relationship was defined by abuse and fear, no love or affection, and stifling of her creativity. She described sex with Ike had become an expression of hostility. Eventually, Ike turned to drugs and alcohol and formed an addiction, habit.

Often times while on the road touring in the southern states, the revue had to deal with racial tensions, and blatant discrimination. In the music industry there was rejection from the US when their music was widely accepted in the UK, such as “River Deep-Mountain High” written by Phil Spector in 1966. Which ultimately led to Tina’s love for the UK, and an intro into psychics, readers, and later turning to Buddhism, meditation prayer, and cleaning was a form of therapy. Later as Ms. Turner resided in Europe, and had homes in England, Germany, France, and Switzerland.

Tina was amongst celebrities, such as Jaqueline Onassis Kennedy, her idol, Sammy Davis Jr, whom bought her first Jaguar,
Ann-Margret Olsson, a fan of Tina Turner, Cher after she divorced Sonny and appeared on her show as a solo artist, Bob Mackie, the fashion designer who designed her costumes.

Her meeting with Erwin Bach, her future husband was magical, love-at-first-sight. She was free to love and love she did, with Erwin.

Turner was a caring, nurturing, and optimistic woman who created lifetime friendships while endured the worst of times and found a love story all her own, by
enjoying artistic freedom and commercial success. I saw her as a beautiful woman, young and aged, who radiated beauty, class, talent, and happiness while gracing the cover of magazines, such as Vogue. She will always be my idol!

I thought the co-authors and Tina Turner did a wonderful job with the writing of this book, I was very surprised to see all the pictures from within the book also at the end of the ebook with explanations and index references that you can click on to take you back to those subjects within the book. I bounced back and forth between audio (which was well done by the narrator) and the ebook. ( )
  DonnasBookAddiction | Jul 7, 2023 |
This is the story of Tina Turner's life and her second chance at love. An interesting story and sad to read about her health issues. ( )
  CrystalToller | Mar 5, 2019 |
I dare you to read My Love Story and not admire this woman. Talent, heart, perseverance -- she has true grit and the character many of us lack nowadays. Constantly tested throughout her life, she never gave up her dreams and she never surrendered her Self.

If asked to think about the music from my youth* (ages 9-12), three artists immediately come to mind: Whitney. Janet. Tina. All three women differ greatly from each other in just about every way -- from their upbringing to their voice, their sound, their lyrics, their public image. Yet all had a powerful impact on my young mind. These 3 women are quintessential 80s to me. And I also credit all 3 for flaming my young rebel spark.

However, I was unfamiliar with the women behind the artists. That is, until I watched the movie**, What's Love Got to Do With It. I didn't know at the time it was based on Tina Turner's own book, I, Tina. So, I had an idea about her early life, tribulations and triumphs. After reading, My Love Story, it's apparent the movie took creative liberties in delivering their story of Tina Turner.

What you'll read about in My Love Story is Tina's drive to achieve all that she dreamed she can be. She doesn't shy away from her mistakes. She doesn't gloss over her struggles. And she's not afraid to share her deepest vulnerabilities.

Structured around her relationship with Erwin Bach, their wedding, which Tina describes as the happiest day of her life, and the subsequent deterioration of her health. The narrative is pretty much chronological from her childhood to her early romances to meeting Ike Turner to leaving him to having to battle to reclaim her career to the hard work she put in to be the artist she always wanted to be.

She shares the stories behind her so-called comeback (though, she reminds the reader, she was never actually away) to the boosts she received from other artists like Cher and David Bowie.

She also mentions Beyoncé as a young artist much like herself. (I can totally see it!) And I respect Tina's view of her image, one she was quite deliberate about creating, one of being sexy without being threatening to other women. She said she's sexy without being sexual.

And, evidenced in her relationships with people like David Bowie and Oprah, Tina embodies the most valuable aspect of networking: true connection. So much of social media, online communities, and even in-person events are saturated by a gimme, gimme mindset. I really enjoyed reading about a legendary rock star who first and foremost creates relationships based on genuine interest and reciprocity rather than from a "What can this person do for me or my career" place.

Re-reading this "review" I realize I'm gushing, but this is a woman who deserves to be gushed over. I truly regret never getting to see her perform, but I'm thankful for her willingness to share of her personal life, to let us see the woman behind the star. As usual, Tina did not disappoint.

One disclaimer: The final chapter, about her son, is devastating. Be warned. I was a sobbing fool when I closed the book.

5 stars

*Naturally, if given a few more minutes to reminisce, other names also come to mind: Joan Jett, Taylor Dayne, Lisa Lisa and the Cult Jam, Gloria Estefan, Bonnie Tyler, Heart, Pat Benatar. (This does not include my late 80s obsession with a little group known as NKOTB, but that's a whole other thing. lol)

**Or decades later, in 2018, when I watched the documentary Whitney about Whitney Houston's life and death. ( )
  flying_monkeys | Jan 7, 2019 |

Tina Turnerprimary authorall editionscalculated
Davis, DeborahAuthormain authorall editionsconfirmed
Wichmann, DominikAuthormain authorall editionsconfirmed
Schuhmacher, NaemiTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Steckhan, BarbaraTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
"There's always been an emotion in my voice because it reached back to the life I was living. When there were tears onstage, it wasn't Hollywood, it was real."
When I was a little girl, I loved taking chances.

Current Discussions

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 207,084,079 books! | Top bar: Always visible