Beezus and Ramona (1955)

by Beverly Cleary

Series: Ramona Quimby (1)

Beezus' biggest problem is her 4-year-old sister Ramona. Even though Beezus knows sisters are supposed to love each other, with a sister like Ramona, it seems impossible.

At the age of 9, Beatrice Quimby - known as Beezus to everyone, because that's how her 4-year-old sister Ramona pronounced her name - has to deal with all the trials of having an annoying younger sister.

I LOVED the Ramona books as a kid, though the ones that stick out for me most are the later ones. I'd forgotten what a pest toddler Ramona was and how exasperating she was to both her sister and her parents. This one is really told more from Beezus's point of view, and you sympathize with the older sister for sure (though a lot of the trouble Ramona gets into is hilarious to read about, if not actually experience). This book was first published in 1955, and it definitely shows its age in some ways - Mother goes "marketing" not (grocery) shopping, and there's a radio and phonograph store, and Beezus plays Sacajawea for the PTA. But it also nails family dynamics and complex emotions between siblings, and so much of it is very funny. ( )
  bell7 | Mar 27, 2024 |
Recently I was reminiscing about certain books from my childhood and decided to do a full reread of the Ramona series! I still know them all pretty well (from Picky-Picky to “which witch?”, the toothpaste tube to the cold crockpot argument) but just remember being SO delighted by all the antics Ramona got into that rereading them was too enticing to pass up.

My only real comment is that I think this first book is the weakest in the series simply because the reader doesn’t get to be directly in Ramona’s mind, BUT it does set up her world and introduce us to the Quimby family dynamics very well, so I’m not gonna fault it for that. Also, Aunt Beatrice DEFINITELY reads as queer in this! New 2021 head cannon for her. ( )
  deborahee | Feb 23, 2024 |
One of my absolute favorites from when I was a kid. Ramona is everyone's annoying but warm-hearted little sister. After all these years, Cleary's stories still ring true and are just as relevant. There may be some references that modern kids won't get (crocheting?) but the story and characters are still as relate-able as ever. ( )
  littoface | Feb 2, 2024 |
Independent Reading Level: (3-5)
  LaurenGilliard | Dec 6, 2023 |
ramona is such a jerk! ( )
  alison-rose | May 22, 2023 |

Belongs to Series

Belongs to Publisher Series

Is contained in

Has the adaptation

Has as a teacher's guide

Beatrice Quimby's biggest problem was her little sister Ramona.
"Ramona's pictures, in fact, were so full of imagination that it took even more imagination to tell what they were."

Current Discussions

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 205,944,405 books! | Top bar: Always visible