Check out the Pride Celebration Treasure Hunt!

Beezus and Ramona by Beverly Cleary

Beezus and Ramona (1955)

by Beverly Cleary

Series: Ramona Quimby (1)

The reader's sympathies may lie with four-year-old Ramona (there's usually a method to her madness, or at least an underlying logic - the first bite of the apple does taste the best) or with nine-year-old Beezus, who tends toward peace and quiet and often finds Ramona exasperating, but then feels guilty because sisters are supposed to love each other.

As good as I remembered, and nearly timeless (although, why are they washing their hair at the kitchen sink instead of the bath or shower?).

Bunny ears at the library; imagination and art class; interrupted checkers with Henry and Ribsy; an unplanned party; and Beezus' birthday. ( )
  JennyArch | May 16, 2019 |
So much fun; I know lots of kids can relate to these two! ( )
  cougargirl1967 | Mar 16, 2019 |
The moral of Beezus and Ramona is that it's okay not to love your sister ~all~ the time. And that's a good thing, because Ramona is quite the little brat. My sympathies were all with Beezus, almost 10, and having to care for her frequently horrible 4 year old sister so much of the time. But of course, they both love each other, and that's plain throughout the book. But they are almost 6 years apart in age, and have wildly different personalities.
Each chapter is pretty much its own little short story. Other than having the same characters and themes there isn't much linking one chapter to the next. In each story, Ramona finds a new way to behave dreadfully and Beezus has to figure out how to deal with it.
I got the impression that when Beverly Cleary wrote this first book in the series, way back in 1955, she had Beezus in mind as the main character, but judging from the titles, the other books in the series evidently follow Ramona more closely. Hopefully she's not quite as horrid as she grows older in later books. Since two of the latter ones won Newbery Honor awards, I assume the series improves. (Not that this is a bad book, but it's not a great one either.) ( )
  fingerpost | Sep 21, 2018 |
I read this with my daughter - we're ready for the movie.
She's anxious to read more Ramona! YEA! ( )
  cubsfan3410 | Sep 1, 2018 |
I'm the younger sister of two brothers and I'm sure I could have been annoying. Parents always seem to baby the younger sibling which I think is the worst thing you can do. There were a lot of times where I felt exactly the same way Beezus did when Ramona was acting like a brat, but I also remembered like Beezus figured out that one day they would both grow up and Ramona would grow out of her everything is about me stage. ( )
  AdrianaGarcia | Jul 10, 2018 |

Cleary, Beverlyprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Channing, StockardNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Darling, LouisIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Dockray, TracyIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Lambert, ThelmaIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Beatrice Quimby's biggest problem was her little sister Ramona.
"Ramona's pictures, in fact, were so full of imagination that it took even more imagination to tell what they were."

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 038070918X, Paperback)

Nine-year-old Beezus Quimby has her hands full with her little sister, Ramona. Sure, other people have little sisters that bother them sometimes, but is there anyone in the world like Ramona? Whether she's taking one bite out of every apple in a box or secretly inviting 15 other 4-year-olds to the house for a party, Ramona is always making trouble--and getting all the attention. Every big sister can relate to the trials and tribulations Beezus must endure. Old enough to be expected to take responsibility for her little sister, yet young enough to be mortified by every embarrassing plight the precocious preschooler gets them into, Beezus is constantly struggling with her mixed-up feelings about the exasperating Ramona.

There's no one in the world like Beverly Cleary, either. This terrifically popular author of over two dozen children's books has withstood the test of time for generations, as her many awards, including the Newbery Medal, attest. Two books in the Ramona series, Ramona and Her Father and Ramona Quimby, Age 8, were also named Newbery Honor Books. Louis Darling's wonderful ink illustrations are the kind that will stay with a reader for a lifetime. (Ages 8 to 12) --Emilie Coulter

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:17:13 -0400)

Beezus' biggest problem is her 4-year-old sister Ramona. Even though Beezus knows sisters are supposed to love each other, with a sister like Ramona, it seems impossible.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,484,637 books! | Top bar: Always visible