The Bridge Home by Padma Venkatraman

The Bridge Home (original 2019; edition 2020)

by Padma Venkatraman (Author)

"Readers will be captivated by this beautifully written novel about young people who must use their instincts and grit to survive. Padma shares with us an unflinching peek into the reality millions of homeless children live every day but also infuses her story with hope and bravery that will inspire readers and stay with them long after turning the final page."--Aisha Saeed, author of the New York Times Bestselling Amal Unbound Four determined homeless children make a life for themselves in Padma Venkatraman's stirring middle-grade debut. Life is harsh in Chennai's teeming streets, so when runaway sisters Viji and Rukku arrive, their prospects look grim. Very quickly, eleven-year-old Viji discovers how vulnerable they are in this uncaring, dangerous world. Fortunately, the girls find shelter--and friendship--on an abandoned bridge. With two homeless boys, Muthi and Arul, the group forms a family of sorts. And while making a living scavenging the city's trash heaps is the pits, the kids find plenty to laugh about and take pride in too. After all, they are now the bosses of themselves and no longer dependent on untrustworthy adults. But when illness strikes, Viji must decide whether to risk seeking help from strangers or to keep holding on to their fragile, hard-fought freedom.… (more)
Member:ayeria10
Title:The Bridge Home
Authors:Padma Venkatraman (Author)
Info:Puffin Books (2020), Edition: Reprint, 208 pages

Work Information

The Bridge Home by Padma Venkatraman (2019)

The story of two abused girls in India who find strength in each other's talents and figuring out ways to survive. The entire book takes place in a short amount of time (maybe 4 months). Excellent development of characters in such a short novel. Although not as face-paced as other YA novels, this one will pull at students' hearts as they grow to care about the young girls. Golden Sower nominee 2021-22. ( )
  Beth.Clarke | Oct 12, 2021 |
diverse middlegrade children's realistic fiction (homeless children in India)
sad story about a young girl and her little sister with autism/sensory processing disorder escaping from domestic violence and finding a new family. ( )
  reader1009 | Jul 3, 2021 |
This was a really, truly, thoroughly amazing book. The only reason I gave it four stars was because it was so short! The character development with the main character was OUTSTANDING. She went from a victim of abuse, to a protective older sister, and a strong woman, despite the hardships she lived through. Though the writing style wasn't my favorite, this book really hit home. It taught me to be so grateful for everything I have, to not ask for more, and to not look down on others. I 100% recommend this book for younger children, especially if you're trying to find a good role model for them. ( )
  Lulu0917 | May 19, 2021 |
I received this books as an advanced copy to review. I was very impressed with the writing and how well the characters were developed. What I enjoyed the most was how the author researched and interviewed individuals from different organizations to portray the characters, setting, and situations genuinely. ( )
  AR_bookbird | Dec 17, 2020 |
This book does a fantastic job of portraying what a life in poverty entails. I would have my students read this book when we are discussing different cultures. In a way that is appropriate for children, this book can introduce my students to some of the hardship and suffering that exists on earth. But what I love about this book is that it gives us hope for good, which is something I want my students to always have. ( )
  emwalker97 | Nov 21, 2020 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 165,957,615 books! | Top bar: Always visible