The Rigel Affair by L M Hedrick

The Rigel Affair

by L M Hedrick

No tags.

This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
As a fan of historical fiction, I did want to like this book. The WWII setting is an interesting time period, and the fact that it is based on reminiscences from the author's family is intriguing.

However, I had two difficulties with it. The writing style lacks polish and can be stilted. This is understandable in a first-time author and is not enough of an issue to ruin the book. Certainly it is well edited and did not have the glaring grammar and spelling issues that are often seen in e-books.

What prevented me from enjoying the book was the graphic nature of the story. When the heroine Mattie is introduced, within several pages we read of a her rape with a somewhat vivid description and foul language. This may be authentic, but it doesn't make for an engaging story. However, if you like your stories with a more hard boiled edge, this may be a book to enjoy. I believe I am just too squeamish to appreciate it.

I was given a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review. ( )
  tealadytoo | Jan 15, 2019 |
Dedicated to my dear mother Mattie

LibraryThing Early Reviewers

L M Hedrick's book The Rigel Affair is currently available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 131,655,317 books! | Top bar: Always visible