The Duke I Once Knew (2018)

by Olivia Drake

Series: Unlikely Duchesses (1)

When two childhood sweethearts find themselves together after years apart, does their romance have a chance to be rekindled now that he's a duke and she's a governess? Olivia Drake's new Unlikely Duchesses series begins with The Duke I Once Knew, where first love is always the sweetest... For years, Abigail Linton devoted herself to caring for her parents and her siblings' children. Now, eager to create a life of her own, Abby seizes upon a position as a governess on a neighboring estate. Unfortunately, her absentee employer is Maxwell Bryce, the Duke of Rothwell, the notorious rake who once broke her youthful heart. But since he hasn't set foot on his estate for fifteen years, Abby assumes she'll never have to lay eyes on him ever again. Then, from out of nowhere, Maxappears. He is stunned to come face to face with the girl next door he fell for years ago--before he went away, and she stopped writing to him. . .even though Abby swears thathe is the one who left her without a word. Could it be that this spirited, witty spinster has won Max's heart all over again--and that they may have a second chance at love? Olivia Drake's novels are: "Lush."--Fresh Fiction "Compelling...filled with intrigue."--Affaire de Coeur "Skillful...readers will rejoice."--RT Book Reviews… (more)

I found this diverting. It's a nice second chance love story, and I think it was handled well. I enjoyed each of them thinking that *they* were the wronged party, =D but the misunderstanding didn't drag on and on either. This is my first by this author and I plan to read the next two in the series, and am feeling decently hopeful that they'll be good as well. ( )
  JorgeousJotts | Dec 3, 2021 |
Olivia Drake is a new to me author and I have to say I will be going to find more of her books to read. I really enjoyed reading this book, so much so that I read it in one day. Abby is at a crossroads when her parents die since she’s cared for them for so long. All her older siblings want her to help take care of their children, but she wants more from life. After making a stand and going after a job she wants (which in that timeframe was a little unheard of), she reconnects with the boy next door who is also her new employer and her long lost love. I can’t wait to see where the next book in this new series takes us.

This review is based on an ARC from NetGalley, courtesy of the publisher. All opinions are my own. ( )
  Caelijean | Apr 21, 2020 |
3.25*
I’ve received an eARC in exchange for an honest review.

So… I’m not the biggest fan of the second chance trope, but this book handled it well. I really enjoyed how the author turned it around, maybe because the thing that had separated the couple the first was handled… well, not right away, but almost. Which meant they didn’t really had much stopping them from getting back together.
Abigail reminded me of… me, in a way. And I liked how she finally took the reins of her life and started making her own decisions. Go Abby! You can’t let your family make all the decisions – especially if they’re bad for you.

Max, on the other hand, is our typical moody, secret-y hero. Because talking never helped anyone, right? Abigail is good for him. She tries to keep her distance, but she really likes her new job as Max’s sister’s governess, so it’s hard to be away from him for a long time.

The love they once shared is still there, even if different, since they are now changed people.

I just didn’t like that Max didn’t really consider his sister – he always says he’s worried about her, and cares for her, but he rarely sees her, and then takes a group of strangers – with bad reputations – to his house, where his sister lives. The excuse he uses is okay in the beginning, but… it wasn’t credible enough for me.

Apart from that, I enjoyed this book, it was romantic and sweet, I just wished it had a more developed plot. ( )
  Joana_v_v | Apr 6, 2020 |
This is my first Olivia Drake book but won't be my last. The characters are more complex that they seem on paper. Max is a rougish Duke who comes home to his estate after 15 years bringing a woman that he woud like to make his mistress. Abby is a tight laced spinster who has spent the majority of her life as an unpaid servant for her family. These 2 once had feelings for each other as teens but when Max was taken away from the estate by his father - their feelings were unkowingly (to them) destroyed when his father confiscated letters that they promised to send to each other.
Meeting again for the first time in 15 years is akward and Abby is now the governess for Max's 15 year old sister.
You can't help but root for these two as they understand how they were deceived and wonder if they can renew the feelings that have never really left.
When they get to the Happily Ever After the reader is cheered but I would have liked to see an Epilogue with a final happy note. ( )
  ddeluna1 | Mar 19, 2020 |
3.5 stars.

The first installment in the Unlikely Duchesses series, The Duke I Once Knew by Olivia Drake is an engaging historical romance.

Abigail "Abby" Linton is the youngest of five children and the only one who is unmarried. Having taken care of her now deceased parents for many years, her siblings use her as unpaid help with their families. Without any input from Abby, they are making the decision for where she will live next. Fed up with being taken for granted, she makes an impetuous decision to become the governess for Lady Gwen.

Gwen is the teenage sister of Maxwell Bryce who just happens to be the man who broke Abby's heart fifteen years earlier. Since the Duke of Rothwell does not visit the estate where Gwen resides, Abby is certain she will not cross paths with her former love. Needless to say, she is rather dismayed when Max unexpectedly shows up with his mistress and three other friends in tow. The sparks soon fly between Abby and Max as they discover their simmering attraction burns hotter than ever. But with both of them hurt and angry over how their relationship ended, will this pair of star-crossed lovers find their way back to one another?

Abby is a kind-hearted and compassionate woman who has no regrets about the years she dedicated to caring for her parents. She is devoted to her nieces and nephews but with her thirtieth birthday fast approaching, she realizes it is time to forge her own path in life. She is even hopeful a romantic prospect will appear on her horizon. But not even in her wildest imaginings does Abby believe she will ever see Max again. The way he ended their romance broke her fragile heart and she is somewhat stunned by his reputation as an infamous rake.

Although he deeply cares for Gwen, Max lives a fairly carefree life. After circumstances beyond his control leave him and his group of friends without a place to say, he does not think twice about taking them to his country estate. Without giving much thought to his actions, Max carries out his plan to make the widowed Elise his mistress.

Needless to say, Abby is outraged at Max's behavior and the two are soon swapping pointed barbs. With her family, Abby is a doormat, but she does not hesitate to stand up to Max. Their unresolved past is huge source of conflict that could easily be solved if they would just talk to one another. Abby's irritating habit of jumping to conclusions leads to some very heated discussions as she confronts Max with her unwarranted accusations. Elise creates some very predictable drama as she stoops to underhanded behavior to rid herself of her rival for Max's affections.

The Duke I Once Knew is a sweet second chance at love historical romance. The novel is well-written, the dialogue is snappy and the setting is the perfect backdrop for the unfolding story. The characters are a little frustrating but they do learn from their mistakes and they are quick to admit when they are wrong. The pacing is a little slow and the plot is somewhat predictable. Rife with historical details, Olivia Drake brings the time period vibrantly to life. Despite some flaws, this first installment in the Unlikely Duchesses series is an enjoyable read that I recommend to fans of historical romances. ( )
  kbranfield | Feb 3, 2020 |

Belongs to Series

If they didn't stop rearranging her life, she would shriek at them —all of them.

First love is always the sweetest.

For years, Abigail Linton devoted herself to caring for her aging parents and the children of her siblings. Now, eager to make her own life, she takes a position as governess on the neighboring estate. It shouldn’t matter that her absentee employer is Maxwell Bryce, the Duke of Rothwell, the infamous rake who once broke her youthful heart. Surely he’s forgotten her, for he hasn’t set foot on his estate for fifteen years. At least, that is, until he arrives unexpectedly.

Max is incensed to meet his sister’s new governess. But why does Abby appear just as displeased to see him when it was she who’d rejected him all those years ago? Why is he so drawn to the independent spinster she has become? And why is there a sparkle in her beautiful blue eyes that suggests they might have a second chance at love?

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 166,168,456 books! | Top bar: Always visible