kaddish.com: A novel by Nathan Englander

kaddish.com: A novel (edition 2019)

by Nathan Englander (Author)

"The Pulitzer finalist delivers his best work yet--a brilliant, streamlined comic novel, reminiscent of early Philip Roth and of his own most masterful stories, about a son's failure to say Kaddish for his father Larry is an atheist in a family of orthodox Memphis Jews. When his father dies, it is his responsibility as the surviving son to recite the Kaddish, the Jewish prayer for the dead, every day for eleven months. To the horror and dismay of his mother and sisters, Larry refuses--thus imperiling the fate of his father's soul. To appease them, and in penance for failing to mourn his father correctly, he hatches an ingenious if cynical plan, hiring a stranger through a website called Kaddish.com to recite the daily prayer and shepherd his father's soul safely to rest. This is Nathan Englander's freshest and funniest work to date--a satire that touches, lightly and with unforgettable humor, on the conflict between religious and secular worlds, and the hypocrisies that run through both. A novel about atonement; about spiritual redemption; and about the soul-sickening temptations of the internet, which, like God, is everywhere"--"The Pulitzer finalist delivers his best work yet--a brilliant, streamlined comic novel, reminiscent of early Philip Roth and of his own most masterful stories, about a son's failure to say Kaddish for his father"--… (more)
Member:jdoshna
Title:kaddish.com: A novel
Authors:Nathan Englander (Author)
Info:Knopf (2019), Edition: First Edition, 224 pages
Rating:***

Work Information

kaddish.com: A novel by Nathan Englander

Thank you to Lithub for this win.

It took me 2 years to get to this book and now I'm like what did I just read. I guess I didn't read the plot well enough since this is not what I expected that's for sure. A totally different type of read but held my interest enough to finish it in hours.

Even though I'm Jewish I learned a lot of new Hebrew words and I needed a glossary for a lot of them. ( )
  sweetbabyjane58 | Jul 14, 2021 |
See my review in Rain Taxi Review of Books: http://www.raintaxi.com/volume-24-number-4-winter-2019-96/ ( )
  chrisvia | Apr 29, 2021 |
Larry is having a difficult time sitting Shiva in his sister's Memphis home for their father. He grieves the loss of his father. And feels uncomfortable that the Shiva callers are looking at him judgmentally because he left the fold of orthodoxy. When his sister and her rabbi tell him he must say kaddish (the prayer for the dead) every day for a year, he refuses. But he suggests a religiously acceptable alternative plan.

And so begins a seriously humorous adventure into one man's efforts to make amends through repentance, spirituality, love and oh yeah, some technology.

I really couldn't stand the whining in the first chapter and was going to stop reading and move on. So glad I continued because it improved dramatically.

Kaddish.com is a smart, thoughtful, introspective, kind and loving book.
  Bookish59 | Aug 8, 2020 |
A good short story - - an easy long afternoon read - - but just a little too predictable. ( )
  jdoshna | Mar 29, 2020 |
Back in 1999, secular Jew Larry outsourced the saying of the Kaddish for his deceased father to an obscure online outfit in Israel. Now, twenty years later, he realizes the folly of this decision. Is it too late to get his birthright back and to honor his father’s memory? This slender novel delves deep into modern Orthodox traditions and practices. Well worth reading. ( )
  akblanchard | Mar 29, 2020 |
This period of your life—it feels like it’s forever, but if you’re lucky, life is long and each of these forevers will one day seem fleeting. (Larry’s father)
It was like a JDate for the dead. (kaddish.com)
My mother said that my father said that it was really important to him that it keep getting used every

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 164,567,474 books! | Top bar: Always visible