Fallen Mountains by Kimi Cunningham Grant

Fallen Mountains

by Kimi Cunningham Grant

1321,047,422 (4.75)None

Fallen Mountains by Kimi Cunningham Grant is a very highly recommended novel of mystery and suspense.

Sheriff John "Red" Redifer is the only law enforcement official in the small town of Fallen Mountains, Pennsylvania. He is planning to turn in his letter of resignation the next day, but when Transom Shultz is reported to be missing, he knows that there may be many more complications beyond the obvious. Small towns are full of secrets that are always waiting to be exposed and Fallen Mountains has its share of them.

Sheriff Red is haunted by a case and cover-up from seventeen years ago and involved Transom. "Possum" was a victim at the hands of Transom at that time and may have sought revenge. Or could Chase, whose family land Transom bought to help Chase financially after his grandfather died, have taken matters into his own hand due to Transom's underhanded selling of timber and mineral rights. Or is Laney involved, the long-time friend of both Chase and Transom, who has her own reasons for not trusting Transom.

The characters are all finely drawn and portrayed as realistic, flawed people. They all have connections to each other and share a history. Loyalty comes into play for all the characters. Do you keep the secrets of the past or let them out, causing untold hurt and personal devastation? Some of these secrets could destroy individuals and others could devastate many people. The small town setting plays a huge role in the novel, because everyone knows everyone else and their background and history in the community.

This is a very well-written character driven atmospheric novel where the denouement is not obvious because of the tangled history of all the characters and the many secrets they are all harboring. The even pace of the revelations about the characters in the presentation allows the suspense to build incrementally and will keep you glued to the pages. The narrative covers the present investigation and incidents from the past. The final ending is intense and haunting.
Disclosure: My review copy was courtesy of Amberjack Publishing.
http://www.shetreadssoftly.com/2019/03/fallen-mountains.html ( )
  SheTreadsSoftly | Mar 6, 2019 |
Synopsis/blurb.....

"An intense and engaging portrait of characters driven by—and bound by—the secrets of their pasts . . . an absorbing mystery as well as a gracefully layered story of death and loss in a small town.” —Allen Eskens, USA Today bestselling author of The Life We Bury

When Transom Shultz goes missing shortly after returning to his tightly knit hometown of Fallen Mountains, Pennsylvania, his secrets are not the only ones that threaten to emerge.

Something terrible happened seventeen years ago. Red, the sheriff, is haunted by it. Possum, the victim of that crime, wants revenge. Chase, a former friend of Transom’s, is devastated by his treacherous land dealings. And Laney worries her one thoughtless mistake with Transom could shatter everything she’s built.

As the search for Transom heats up and the inhabitants’ dark and tangled histories unfold, each must decide whether to live under the brutal weight of the past or try to move beyond it. In Fallen Mountains, even loyalty, love, trust, and family can trap you on a path of tragedy.
-----------
My take...

Wow!

I was pretty much sucked into this small town mystery from the get-go. Gripping, intriguing, compelling and at the climax supremely satisfying. I was half-tempted to start reading it again immediately after.

A small cast of characters, each carrying their own secrets, each effected by events of the past, all of them good-hearted people, with maybe one exception - though even he has some admirable traits.

Regret, guilt, loyalty, family, history, conflict, secrets, disappointment, shame, embarrassment, anger, selfishness, love, grief, resentment and more in rural Pennsylvania.

I loved the characters, I loved the setting, I loved how the author made me care about the outcome and what would happen to all those involved. I enjoyed her writing and the past-present flip-flopping of the narrative added to my reading pleasure, more so than if the narrative had been more linear.

All in all a fantastic read and one I'd highly recommend to anyone. I've deliberately refrained from mentioning any events or detail of the characters. Read this book and discover them for yourself. My semi-coherent thoughts do not do this book justice!

5 from 5

Fallen Mountains is Kimi Cunningham Grant's fictional debut. She has an earlier book to her name, a family memoir - Silver Like Dust - which tells the tale of her Japanese-American grandparents interned in the aftermath of Pearl Harbour.

Read in January, 2019
Published - 2019 (out on the 5th March)
Page count - 196
Source - Net Galley
Format - ePub file read on laptop.

https://col2910.blogspot.com/2019/01/kimi-cunningham-grant-fallen-mountains.html ( )
  col2910 | Jan 20, 2019 |

LibraryThing Early Reviewers

Kimi Cunningham Grant's book Fallen Mountains is currently available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 133,515,866 books! | Top bar: Always visible