Beyond the Point: A Novel by Claire Gibson

Beyond the Point: A Novel

by Claire Gibson

No tags.

This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I really enjoyed the story of Dani, Hannah and Avery...how they came to choose West Point for college, how they came together, what adventures they had and challenges they faced, how they grew individually and as friends, how life changes and strengthens relationships with time...it was heartbreaking at times and heartwarming at others. I couldn’t put it down tonight, although I did not enjoy how heavily the Christian influence was in parts of the book. I still highly recommend because of the great writing style and ability of the author to paint a vivid picture in your mind! ( )
  kstadt929 | Feb 3, 2019 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
If I had not known in advance this was a debut novel I would have said, “No way.” The prose is as polished as any seasoned writer. Beyond the Point, by Claire Gibson, takes the reader into the world of West Point where we meet three young women athletes, Hannah, Dani and Avery, recruited to play basketball.

When they first meet they do not become friends immediately. Avery and Dani develop a fierce rivalry on the basketball court. Dani is an incredibly gifted player and is given a place on the varsity team as a freshman. Avery finds this hard to handle and it fuels her own personal insecurities. Over time Hannah the shy and faith driven women, who tends to be the anchor of the group, brings them all together and slowly a fierce friendship is formed.

You might think this book is about how women endure the rigors of a male dominated school like West Point. It is that and so much more. It is ultimately about how three strong women forge a long lasting friendship and face the hardships of West Point together. The friendship they have not only makes them stronger; they draw upon this strength to negative the world after West Point when tragedy strikes.

This book is strongly character driven. Dani, Avery and Hannah are all portrayed very realistically and are fully developed. I especially loved that the author gave me both their strengths and their weaknesses.
The story is told form all three points of view. So we get a window into the interworkings of each of the main characters. The plot is not slow or fast. It does meander some as the author, especially later in the book, keeps flashing back to things that happened at West Point that sheds light on to a current situation or event.

I am really excited to see what else this author has in store for the future and expect that this is just the being of things to come. I highly recommend this book to readers who like a character driven story especially those with strong female characters.

Disclaimer: I received an ARC from the publisher in exchange for my honest review. For more of my reviews, and author interviews, see my blog at www.thespineview.com ( )
  purpledog | Jan 27, 2019 |
This is a fantastic debut novel about women and their friendships. It has three realistically written women as main characters who become friends and maintain that friendship during trying times. It's amazing that this is a debut novel and I can't wait to see what this author writes in the future.

Dani, Hannah and Avery meet when they start college at West Point. They all play on the basketball team and become good friends as they struggle with the workloads at West Point. All three of them are faced with discrimination against women at West Point as well as in their lives when they leave college and go out into the world. Their friendship is what helps them all through their bad times.

This is a wonderful novel about friendship and love and courage. I loved the three main characters and admired what they went through at West Point as well as in their lives in the military. I also like that the author wrote them so realistically and we see their flaws as well as their good points. I highly recommend this novel.

Thanks to goodreads for a copy to read and review. All opinions are my own. ( )
  susan0316 | Jan 6, 2019 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Beyond the Point is a good enough piece of chick lit with a military setting. Three girls bond on the women's basketball team their plebe year at West Point and grow up through graduation and into young adulthood. The insider's look at West Point (Ms. Gibson grew up there) was interesting and entertaining. On the other hand, I found it hard to take classroom discussions or religious insights very seriously. Nevertheless, I kept reading to a satisfactory conclusion. ( )
  LizzieD | Dec 30, 2018 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Thanks to LibraryThing and Wm. Morrow for this ARC.

I wouldn't say this is woman's fiction at it's best but it's good fiction.

I give a lot of credit to women who go into the military. It shows how hard the training is, especially for women.

Avery, Hannah and Dani are not only in it together at West Point, their friendship holds the strength of time over the few years this takes place through good times and bad. Their personalities and ethnics and race and religion are all different but it shows how much they admire and love each other.

I would love to see what happens next with these three women in the future since they were only 23 years old.

I would give it 3 and 1/2 stars. ( )
  sweetbabyjane58 | Dec 23, 2018 |

LibraryThing Early Reviewers

Claire Gibson's book Beyond the Point is currently available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 132,526,114 books! | Top bar: Always visible