The Stone Monkey (2002)

by Jeffery Deaver

Series: Lincoln Rhyme (4)

Lincoln and Amelia are recruited to track down a cargo ship carrying two dozen illegal Chinese immigrants, as well as the notorious human smuggler and killer known as the Ghost. But when the capture goes disastrously wrong, Lincoln and Amelia find themselves in a race to stop the Ghost before he can track down and murder the two surviving families who have vanished deep into the labyrinthine world of New York City's Chinese community. Over the next forty-eight hours the Ghost ruthlessly hunts for the families while Rhyme, aided by a policeman from mainland China, struggles to find them before they die and Sachs pursues a very different kind of policework - forming a connection with one of the immigrants that may have consequences going to the core of her relationship with her partner and lover, Lincoln Rhyme.… (more)

English (27)  Spanish (1)  German (1)  All languages (29)
This was an okay book.
A Rhyme-Sachs thriller again, that had been sitting on my shelf for quite some time.

I was caught by the topic: smuggle of people, the triades and all tangles, complications that come with that. But all in all I didn't find this particular book not as gripping as other books in the Rhyme-series. Can't really determine why. Maybe lack of concentration, maybe just the book itself, or a combination of the two. ( )
  BoekenTrol71 | Jul 19, 2021 |
Book #4 in the Lincoln Rhyme series and it just did not resonate. After about 45 minutes of listening, I decided that I'd rather go to the dentist than read this book. So, DNF--and further; after a string of 2 and 3 ratings, I give up on the series and will spend my time doing anything else but read more Lincoln Rhyme. ( )
  buffalogr | Apr 5, 2021 |
“Po fu chen zhou.... Break the cauldrons and sink the boats.”

My second human trafficking book in past two weeks! This time, it's Chinese immigrants being smuggled by ship, much like the movie “Lethal Weapon 4”, which was released four years before this book. The ‘snakehead’ doing the smuggling, nicknamed The Ghost, is Lincoln Rhyme’s adversary in this one.
The book also has a lot of references to the game of wei-chi, which really reminded me of another book, “Shibumi”, a novel published in 1979, written by Trevanian.
Still, similarities to other works aside, this is a good read, interesting and entertaining. Definitely follows the pattern of the other Lincoln Rhyme books I've read, which is good, as I've enjoyed those as well! And that being said, I'm on to #5! ( )
  Stahl-Ricco | Feb 9, 2021 |

Well I honestly don't know what to say about this book besides it was a step up from the mess that was book #3. I think I am annoyed though that none of that is brought up at all while reading this book. And there's a stupid tease of something involving Amelia the entire book that may have readers thinking she is looking to get away from Rhymes. Instead it's a tired misdirect that I was just rolling my eyes at. And we get the final reveal by Rhymes to what the bad guy was really doing and man oh man I just needed him to start talking about his little grey cells to make me hate him a bit more (seriously he and Poirot could out-talk each other). I love that Deaver got back to forensics more in this one. However, the characters didn't feel real to me at all, and he left some loose threads with some of them (one of the characters was a teenager and a jerk) and I am just going to assume he's eventually going to come to a bad end.

Rhymes and Sachs are asked to help by both the FBI and INS in tracking down a cargo ship containing about 12 illegal Chinese. The FBI and INS are interested in arresting the human trafficker called "The Ghost" since he is responsible for a lot of deaths in China. However, something goes wrong and somehow The Ghost finds out that he is being tracked, he blows up the ship and attempts to kill everyone on board. When some of the passengers escape, Rhymes, Sachs, and company do their best to track down the witnesses/illegals before "The Ghost" finds them.

Sachs worked my nerves this one. She is apparently always going to be gullible as hell. I don't see her as tough or anything else just because she can shoot and sometimes her eyes get steely. Also Deaver turning her into a Clarice Starling stand-in with her walking the grid of a scene and imagining herself as the perp is just dumb. I hope that doesn't continue for other books in the series.

The things I liked about these books was the character of Lincoln sciencing (that's not a word, don't care) the crap out of scenes and pulling random facts out of the air while explaining them. There is some of that here and there, but way too few and far between. This book seemed to be Deaver teasing that Rhymes and Sachs are headed for a breakup of their partnership because she still doesn't want him to get an experimental procedure that may improve his motor function or kill him.

Rhymes I liked a lot better in this book. I think his friendship with one of the Chinese policeman, Li, was well done. They both got the other one and unlike with most people, Rhymes actually listened to what Li was saying.

The book switches narratives between Sachs (way too much), Rhymes, Li, the Chinese illegals, and The Ghost. I wish honestly he would have just stuck with third person for Rhyme and Sachs. It was too much having so many voices fighting to be heard. Also the fact that Deaver chose to have every Chinese person except The Ghost "speaking" in broken English was a bit too much. I feel like there was a lot of Chinese culture thrown into this book, but I can't tell if it is all accurate or not. I have Chinese American friends and I don't think they sit around talking about fung shei, herbs, etc. with other people, it was just weird.

The flow was off until almost the end of the book. Getting to the end was a slow plod though. This book was 576 pages and at least 200 pages could have been cut from this thing.

The setting of New York unfortunately doesn't feel well utilized here, specifically Chinatown. Based on this, Chinatown is just a place to buy Chinese herbs, gamble, hire people to shoot other people, and illegals. There's a Chinatown in Washington D.C. and there's a ton of people walking around, restaurants, gyms, Starbucks, etc. Maybe the Chinatown in New York in 2002 looks like this, I don't know.

Also since this book came out after 9/11 I am surprised by the ending to this story. It makes absolutely no sense. But maybe Deaver is not going to include real life events in his series. I thought the ending was hilarious since we have Rhyme revealing all like a magician. I called foul though since none of what was revealed was even a little bit plausible as a reader. It felt like it got pulled out of thin air.

Still this was better than The Empty Chair. ( )
  ObsidianBlue | Jul 1, 2020 |
This latest Lincoln Rhyme's book is a real goodie. A snakehead has a boatload of soon to be illegals from China that he's bringing to the U.S. As the boat nears New York, it explodes. The creepy snakehead and a few of the passengers survive. Lincoln and Amelia are on the hunt to find the creep and bring him down. Deaver draws the most interesting characters and there are a couple of choice ones in here. ( )
  susandennis | Jun 5, 2020 |

Jeffery Deaverprimary authorall editionscalculated
Curtoni, MatteoTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Parolini, MauraTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
La parole Wei-chi è formata da due vocaboli cinesi:
Wei, che significa "circondare", e chi, che significa
"pezzo". Dal momento che il gioco rappresenta la
lotta per la sopravvivenza, potrebbe anche essere
definito il "gioco della guerra".

Danielle Pecorini e Tong Shu,
il gioco del wei-chi
The word Wei-Chi consists of two Chinese words - Wei, which means to "encircle," and Chi, which means "piece." As the game represents a struggle for life, it may be called the "war game."
-Danielle Pecorini and Tong Shu, The Game of Wei-Chi
To those we lost on September, 11, 2001--
whose only crime was their love of tolerance and
freedom and who will be in our hearts forever
They were the vanished, they were the unfortunate.

Recruited to help the FBI and the Immigration and Naturalization Service, Lincoln Rhyme and Amelia Sachs manage to track down a cargo ship headed for New York City carrying two dozen illegal Chinese immigrants, as well as the notorious human smuggler and killer known as “the Ghost.” But when the Ghost’s capture goes disastrously wrong, Lincoln and Amelia find themselves in a race to track him down before he can find and murder the two surviving families from the ship, who have vanished into the labyrinth of New York City’s Chinese community. As Rhyme struggles to locate the families, aided by a quirky policeman from mainland China, Sachs finds herself forming a connection with one of the immigrants that may affect her relationship with her partner and lover.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 164,429,185 books! | Top bar: Always visible