Things You Save in a Fire: A Novel by…

Things You Save in a Fire: A Novel (edition 2019)

by Katherine Center (Author)

From the New York Times bestselling author of How to Walk Away comes a stunning new novel about courage, hope, and learning to love against all odds. Cassie Hanwell was born for emergencies. As one of the only female firefighters in her Texas firehouse, she's seen her fair share of them, and she's a total pro at other people's tragedies. But when her estranged and ailing mother asks her to give up her whole life and move to Boston, Cassie suddenly has an emergency of her own. The tough, old-school Boston firehouse is as different from Cassie's old job as it could possibly be. Hazing, a lack of funding, and poor facilities mean that the firemen aren't exactly thrilled to have a "lady" on the crew--even one as competent and smart as Cassie. Except for the infatuation-inspiring rookie, who doesn't seem to mind having Cassie around. But she can't think about that. Because love is girly, and it's not her thing. And don't forget the advice her old captain gave her: Never date firefighters. Cassie can feel her resolve slipping...and it means risking it all--the only job she's ever loved, and the hero she's worked like hell to become. Katherine Center's Things You Save in a Fire is a heartfelt and healing tour-de-force about the strength of vulnerability, the nourishing magic of forgiveness, and the life-changing power of defining courage, at last, for yourself.… (more)
Member:kageeh
Title:Things You Save in a Fire: A Novel
Authors:Katherine Center (Author)
Info:St. Martin's Press (2019), 320 pages
Collections:Washington-Centerville Public Library
Rating:**1/2

Things You Save in a Fire by Katherine Center

Although parts of this novel were a bit sappy, the story was heartfelt and endearing. ( )
  SallyElizabethMurphy | May 20, 2021 |
Excellent. I couldn't put this book down once I started it. It was touching and had a lot of wisdom in explaining how and why forgiveness is important. It helped me to understand why people forgive and why I should be more forgiving even if the person would never know I forgave. Also, the details about firefighting in the book were so well-researched and that made the story feel more authentic. ( )
  phyllis2779 | May 10, 2021 |
I was at a book signing this weekend and someone I was talking with recommended Katherine Center. Her eyes lit up when talking about her and she gushed about this story and one other one. I remembered that, thanks to NetGalley and the book’s publisher, I had an advance copy of this book on my Kindle. Of course the book’s been out for three months but better late than never, right?

Things You Save in a Fire tells the story of Cassie Hanwell, a firefighter in Austin, Texas who has worked hard to get to the top of her field. The book opens on a night that should be one of Cassie’s best. Instead, it’s a catalyst for a huge life change that Cassie wasn’t expecting or wanting. Cassie ends up in Massachusetts living with a mother she has zero relationship with and very little desire to change that situation.

Cassie is the only female at her firehouse and despite years of experience, gets treated as a rookie. Hazing of course ensues and while most of it is harmless, the pranks take a darker turn, giving the book a slight mystery tinge but not overwhelmingly so. As the story progresses, Cassie starts to let down her walls and open up to the people around her. I liked Cassie. I understand her walls and her pride and how hard she fought to be accepted and respected for her work.

I had a hard time with her love interest at first but over time, I had an easier time picturing it. I liked how Cassie stayed true to who she was but also showed how much she had changed since starting this new journey she most certainly did not want.

It was a good book and I will definitely check out more by this author but I can’t say I gushed like the woman I met this weekend. (For me to gush, the book has to be a solid 4.5 to 5 stars). I would rate Things You Save in a Fire a solid 3.5, maybe 4 stars. I liked Cassie a lot and loved seeing her resolve her issues with her estranged mother. I did not care for the resolution of Cassie’s work issue (either of them) and I think the scenes with Amy were unnecessary.

If you like “chick lit”, strong women and happily ever afters and can put up with what I think are a couple of annoying things, this book is for you.

As always, I try not to give spoilers as to allow people to determine for themselves what they want to know so if some of my comments sound vague, that’s why.

Thanks for reading! ( )
  Stacie-C | May 8, 2021 |
Another very good book from Katherine Center. I have never read a novel about a firefighter and especially a female one, so it was very interesting and kept me moving along through the book. The author does a good job of engaging the reader and getting them interested in the characters and their lives. The mystery was an added touch I always enjoy. I would recommend this one to friends.
  SharleneMartinMoore | Apr 24, 2021 |
This book, without a doubt, is one of the best romance book I have read. Now that is just my personal opinion of course, some may think its not that great while others may agree with me. I am speaking from a point of view of someone who does not normally enjoy romance books. This one was wonderfully written, it had a fantastic story line, and it honestly put me in mind of a movie. I love the way she put Cassie in a role that is not very common, and made it work! I found myself wanting to be just like her, and then when she introduced the rookie! I knew right then, that this was going to be a fantastic read! I love that this book was not to mushy, but there was still a happy ending, and love still conquered all. There is your sad parts, and when I said I mean they made me bawl like a little baby! ( )
  DaniellesBooks | Apr 21, 2021 |
For every woman who has ever had to be brave.
And for the folks in the world who make a choice to be helpers.
And for my hilarious and good-hearted volunteer firefighter husband, Gordon. This book would be about ten pages long without his help. He told me a hundred hilarious and heartbreaking firefighting stories, walked me through all his EMS skills, read draft after draft for accuracy, and fielded countless questions like,"What is firefighter slang for 'vomit'."
The night I became the youngest person---and the only female ever---to win the Austin Fire Department's valor award, I got propositioned by my partner.
As if you don't always lose by definition when you push the people who love you away.
"There's all this toughness about you---but the most impressive thing about that toughness, I think, is that you built it to protect the tenderness."
Maybe all happiness could ever hope to be was a tiny interruption from sorrow.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 158,963,086 books! | Top bar: Always visible