Things You Save in a Fire by Katherine…

Things You Save in a Fire (edition 2019)

by Katherine Center (Author)

Fiction. Literature. Romance. HTML:

"In this charming listen, narrator Therese Plummer portrays Cassie Hanwellâ??a confident, talented firefighter whose solitary life is upended when her estranged mother asks her to relocate to Boston...A wonderful story of forgiveness, friendship, love, and hope." â?? AudioFile

From the New York Times bestselling author of How to Walk Away comes a stunning new audiobook about courage, hope, and learning to love against all odds.

Cassie Hanwell was born for emergencies. As one of the only female firefighters in her Texas firehouse, she's seen her fair share of them, and she's a total pro at other people's tragedies. But when her estranged and ailing mother asks her to give up her whole life and move to Boston, Cassie suddenly has an emergency of her own.
The tough, old-school Boston firehouse is as different from Cassie's old job as it could possibly be. Hazing, a lack of funding, and poor facilities mean that the firemen aren't exactly thrilled to have a "lady" on the crewâ??even one as competent and smart as Cassie. Except for the infatuation-inspiring rookie, who doesn't seem to mind having Cassie around. But she can't think about that. Because love is girly, and it's not her thing. And don't forget the advice her old captain gave her: Never date firefighters. Cassie can feel her resolve slipping...and it means risking it allâ??the only job she's ever loved, and the hero she's worked like hell to become.
Katherine Center's Things You Save in a Fire is a heartfelt and healing tour-de-force about the strength of vulnerability, the nourishing magic of forgiveness, and the life-changing power of defining courage, at last, for yourself.
Praise for Things You Save in a Fire:
"Oh, how I love Katherine Center's writing...and her newest novel is a gem...a story that reminds us that the word emergency has, at its heart, a new beginning. Just read it, and thank me later." - Jodi Picoult, New York Times bestselling author
"...a sharp and witty exploration of love and forgiveness that is at once insightful, entertaining, and thoroughly addictive." - Kirkus, starred
… (more)

Member:kayceel
Title:Things You Save in a Fire
Authors:Katherine Center (Author)
Info:Macmillan Audio (2019)
Collections:Adult, Your library
Rating:***
Tags:2023, love, romance, firefighters, fiction, life-changing events, mothers and daughters

Work Information

Things You Save in a Fire by Katherine Center

Lots of truths in this one, well done and was interesting to visit the culture of the firehouse ( )
  hellokirsti | Jan 3, 2024 |
I wasn't expecting a Romance, but all the typical elements are there. It was a good story, anyway.

Audibook, borrowed from my public library via Audible. Therese Plummer's performance added a bit to the story. ( )
  Doodlebug34 | Jan 1, 2024 |
Thank you to NetGalley and the publisher for providing me a copy of this fun and heartfelt book.

In the beginning, this book may seem like a lighthearted, fun read. It is that, but it's so much more. It's about preconceived ideas about people, about our views of things that happened versus what really happened, about how we are all human and make mistakes, about how life can (and does) throw you a curveball at any time, about how we perceive ourselves, and...about what is really important in life.

Cassie is a loveable, young, determined woman who has built a shell around herself thanks to two things that happened on her sixteenth birthday. And this story takes Cassie on a journey of self-discovery and truth. It's a great book that will have you cheering for everyone in the story! ( )
  JillHannah | Nov 20, 2023 |
I liked this book about a female firefighter and the firefighting community much more than I expected. It has some problems, but it definitely kept my interest. The protagonist processed every move she made and learned how to love both herself and those around her. The misogyny of the fire station was upsetting, but important to know. And many of us just try to live as good a life as we can and also to help as many as we can. The selflessness of many first line workers is important to remember. ( )
  suesbooks | Oct 15, 2023 |
Multiple events conspire together to cause Cassie Hanwell to move away from the city in which she's just received an award for her service as a firefighter to a new city where, she's told, they don't even think women should be firefighters. But Cassie has taught herself how to overcome almost anything--but keeping emotions and feelings at bay and always following a schedule and a plan. This method serves her well, but also poorly, in her new life. A very strained relationship with her sick mother and a crush on the rookie at her new fire station both lead to changes she could never have expected.

This book was a fun read for me, and I think it is interesting that it isn't quite as much of a pure romance as I thought it would be. The romance is a key factor, but it's not the only factor. Other important elements include recovering from past trauma (or lack thereof), mother-daughter relationship (focusing on abandonment of the daughter), surviving in a not-entirely-friendly workplace, and most of all, forgiveness.

I really liked the fact that the book had that last angle in it, because I think it's something that many people don't really take the time and effort to try to do. The book may have taken a fairly simplistic approach, but for what it was, I appreciated it.

There are a lot of tropes wrapped up in Cassie, but at the same time, she had some traits that I really connected with. For example, I watched as she pushed another character away, and then was truly disappointed that the other character left. She wanted this person to push harder to reach her, help her, get her to open up, whatever, even while at the same time knowing that she would never let that person in. I am like that as well, especially with my husband, though with his help, I've identified it and am working on it.

One thing that bugged me throughout the book was Cassie's mother. I had a really hard time sympathizing with her, for reasons that I won't explain, because it would broach spoiler territory. But in the end, I decided that I didn't have to agree with Cassie's assessment of her mother or the situation. It wasn't my mother, so I just let it be.

The ending had a few wrap-ups that were a little strange to me, but I enjoyed the book overall. I recommend it to fans of romance, especially those where the romance isn't quite so in-your-face.

Thank you so much to Netgalley and St. Martin's Press for providing me a copy of this book to review! ( )
  Kristi_D | Sep 22, 2023 |
For every woman who has ever had to be brave.
And for the folks in the world who make a choice to be helpers.
And for my hilarious and good-hearted volunteer firefighter husband, Gordon. This book would be about ten pages long without his help. He told me a hundred hilarious and heartbreaking firefighting stories, walked me through all his EMS skills, read draft after draft for accuracy, and fielded countless questions like,"What is firefighter slang for 'vomit'."
The night I became the youngest person—and the only female ever—to win the Austin Fire Department's valor award, I got propositioned by my partner.
As if you don't always lose by definition when you push the people who love you away.
"There's all this toughness about you—but the most impressive thing about that toughness, I think, is that you built it to protect the tenderness."
Maybe all happiness could ever hope to be was a tiny interruption from sorrow.

Fiction. Literature. Romance. HTML:

Praise for Things You Save in a Fire:

Current Discussions

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 201,796,078 books! | Top bar: Always visible