Chocolate Cream Pie Murder (A Hannah Swensen…

Chocolate Cream Pie Murder (A Hannah Swensen Mystery) (original 2019; edition 2020)

by Joanne Fluke (Author)

When The Cookie Jar becomes the setting of a star-studded TV special about movies filmed in Minnesota, Hannah hopes to shine the spotlight on her bakery-not the unsavory scandal swirling around her personal life. But that's practically impossible with a disturbing visit from the shifty character she once believed was her one and only love, a group of bodyguards following her every move, and a murder victim in her bedroom. Now, swapping the crime scene in her condo for her mother Delores's penthouse, Hannah and an old flame team up to solve a case that's messier than an upended chocolate cream pie. As suspects emerge and secrets hit close to home, Hannah must serve a hefty helping of justice to an unnamed killer prowling around Lake Eden . . . before someone takes a slice out of her!… (more)
Member:Anna214
Title:Chocolate Cream Pie Murder (A Hannah Swensen Mystery)
Authors:Joanne Fluke (Author)
Info:Kensington (2020), Edition: Reissue, 400 pages

Chocolate Cream Pie Murder by Joanne Fluke (2019)

Hannah Swensen hasn't seen or heard from her husband in over 3 months. Life continues on at her bakery, The Cookie Jar. Then one day she gets a call from Ross demanding that she immediately give him the $100,000 that is in the checking account. He isn't acting like the loving husband she just married. Hannah is scared. As usual, the family and her friends rally around her as she tries to figure out what is going on with Ross. Then a dead body is found in her bedroom on her bed. Everyone works to keep Hannah safe. It isn't helping that Hannah hasn't been feeling well.

A quick fun read that was a bit different from the last few books. The conversation is more flowing and feels real, unlike the past few books. I still do not care for Hannah's overbearing control freak Mother (yes, Hannah calls her Mother rather than Mom.) ( )
  Raspberrymocha | Jul 3, 2021 |
I had to laugh conspiratorially as I opened my review copy of this much awaited book and saw at the bottom of the the author's acknowledgements: You've been asking for this book and here it is!

Yes, I did. Yes, we did. Yes....we ALL did.

Thank you, Joanne.

I have been reading the Hannah Swensen series since book 1, Chocolate Chip Cookie Mystery, came out in 2001. Almost 19 years invested in these characters. Lots of recipes and baking. Lots of dead people....cozily murdered, of course. Culinary cozy mysteries are all over the place now....but Joanne Fluke's Hannah Swensen series is one of the first...if not THE first. Then there was......The Event. A misstep by a main character that threw all of us Hannah fans into chaos. What? She did WHAT? With Who? And then.....HE did WHAT???? Rabble rabble rabble! Get a rope! We all wanted to KILL he-who-shall-not-be-named. R. The great jerk. Every single one of us volunteered to pop in to do it, too. And not cozily.

I had to wait for a year to get my hands on this book. The minute my review copy downloaded to my IPad, I informed my family I was retreating in to my lair. I didn't wash the supper dishes....I didn't do any of my normal routine. I had to read this book! Immediately! I made hot tea, put on my PJs hours earlier than usual, and dived into this book. I binged the whole thing. Finished at 1 a.m. and was incredibly tired this morning when I got up at 5:30 (to a sink full of last night's dishes....), but completely happy in my choices.

I have a few mixed emotions about this newest book. On one hand, I am elated at some of the plot points, even though there was no murder or investigation until almost the very end of the book. On the other hand, I felt the story was very much padded by overly lengthy recipe sections and long discussions of food by the characters. BUT....after several books where the writing was (to be blunt) bad and the plots just not up to Hannah-standards.....this book was BETTER! No more klunky bad dialogue or extreme over-telling by characters. It seems Hannah is coming back to old times. I can handle some obvious padding (recipes are an intrinsic part of this series and always have been...so I'm ok with it. Plus YUM! -- there are some really good ones!) this time around because it is obvious that our reviews and constructive criticism were read and taken to heart. Editing much better this time!

I am chuffed!!

My biggest mixed emotion moment is about the end...... The last sentence is a bombshell. And, once again, Joanne Fluke has me waiting a year to find out what happens next.

Well played, Joanne. Well played.

Eagerly awaiting the next book!

Chocolate Cream Pie Murder is the 24th book in the Hannah Swensen series. Normally it isn't really necessary to read the series in order...but this time, it's probably a good idea to have read at least the last few books in the series to fully understand the plot. This series is a fun, light-hearted culinary cozy mystery series. The plots are light....and recipes are included at the end of most chapters. No spurting blood. No cursing. No graphic sex. Definitely cozy. After 19 years, I am committed to this series. I read each book as soon as it comes out....and I will until the very last one. :)

And....because this one was better and I feel that the opinions of reviewers and readers were heard and valued....I'm giving this full stars. Is it a literary masterpiece? No....it's a fun cozy mystery that I stayed up half the night reading. And, I feel this author connects with her readers. That deserves a perfect score from me.

And I'm happily waiting for the next Hannah book. :)

**I voluntarily read an advanced readers copy of this book from Kensington via NetGalley. All opinions expressed are entirely my own. ( )
  JuliW | Nov 22, 2020 |
I’ve stuck by this series even though it got painful at times. I live these characters and hate that Joanne doesn’t seem to want to push them to their limits. Any dunderhead can see that Hannah and Norman belong together.....please don’t turn them into a sadder version of Ross and Rachel. They were meant for each other and even the cats know it! I am glad Ross is out of the picture and hope JoAnne can now bring the books back around to what most of the fans seem to want....and then grow the stories and characters further. ( )
  BettinaMJohnson | Oct 11, 2020 |
This is #24 and it is more of the same. I think I quit reading this series at book 11 or 12, but was able to download this one for free, so thought I would give it a try. It is still a love triangle with Hannah, Mike and Norman, although Hannah is married, but she really isn't!
Story begins with Hannah apologizing to her friends that her so-called husband is already married to another woman when their ceremony took place (in a previous book). The murder in this book didn't take place until nearly the end of the story.
Even though I get tired of the love triangle, at least this series is still a cozy read. And I love the recipes scattered throughout. I have read reviews where some didn't like this. This is a culinary mystery series, so what else would one expect? ( )
  travelgal | Aug 1, 2020 |
Hannah has decided to bare all to her friends at church and informs them that Ross (her supposed husband) was already married and has left to return to his wife. Everyone is very supportive and tells Hannah that Ross had better watch out if he ever returns. Which is just what is going to happen when he calls and tells her that he needs the money that he left in their bank account. Hannah tells him that she put that money back into HIS account, she wanted nothing more to do with him. Ross turns ugly insisting that she get that money for him.

There really wasn't much of a Murder mystery since the dead body wasn't found until chapter 20 and everyone knew that he was going to die so really this was more a story to close out the Hannah/Ross romance rather than a murder mystery. Story was good, mystery not so much. ( )
  cyderry | Jul 10, 2019 |

Belongs to Series

This book is for Karen Auerbach. Team Swensen misses you!
It was a cold Sunday morning in February when Hannah Swensen left the warmth of her condo and drove to Lake Eden, Minnesota.

GenreThing

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 160,500,560 books! | Top bar: Always visible