Feminine Gospels by Carol Ann Duffy

Feminine Gospels

by Carol Ann Duffy

It's going to be difficult for me to rate this book.

Initially, I wasn't sold on Carol Ann Duffy, but eventually she grew on me, like when you're waiting for the sun to come up. At first, it's cold and dark and there isn't much to do except stand around, but then the sunset happens and you're grateful you woke up to see it.

Some of Duffy's poems really didn't resonate with me, but as a whole it's a really cohesive collection and I am very grateful that I read it. I am also grateful that I read poetry by a queer woman, who wrote queer women into some of her poems. I also identify as queer and often write queer women into my poetry so it was great to read something I could relate to.

I liked some of her more narrative-style poems and I loved her poems based on myths and legends.

I never would have picked this up if it weren't for the Feminist Orchestra Book Club and for that, I am eternally grateful. ( )
  lydia1879 | Aug 31, 2016 |
This collection doesn't contain any of my favourite poems, but it's good nonetheless. I like the first poem, "The Long Queen", and one of the later ones, "The Light Gatherer". I always love Duffy's use of imagery. I like the way she themes her poetry collections -- this one is all about women, Rapture was all about love, The World's Wife is all about the women who married/lived with famous men... ( )
  shanaqui | Apr 9, 2013 |
Scottish poet Carol Ann Duffy is one of the best of the "modern"poets writing in the United Kingdom ( )
  Dakoty | Mar 22, 2009 |

In Feminine Gospels, Carol Ann Duffy draws on the historical, the archetypal, the biblical and the fantastical to create various visions -- and revisions -- of female identity. Simultaneously stripping women bare and revealing them in all their guises and disguises, these poems tell tall stories as though they were true confessions, and spin modern myths from real women seen in every aspect -- as bodies and corpses, writers and workers, shoppers and slimmers, fairytale royals or girls-next-door. 'Part of Duffy's talent -- besides her ear for ordinary eloquence, her gorgeous, powerful, throwaway lines, her subtlety -- is her ventriloquism ...From verbal nuances to mind-expanding imaginative leaps, her words seem freshly plucked from the minds of non-poets -- that is, she makes it look easy' Charlotte Mendelson, Observer 'Nobody is ever going to need to be told how to enjoy a Carol Ann Duffy poem ...She is an inspired reinterpreter of myth and a fertile creator of fables of her own' Evening Standard 'Carol Ann Duffy is arguably the nation's favourite living poet' Jeanette Winterson

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:15:06 -0400)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 126,403,678 books! | Top bar: Always visible