Timid

by Devney Perry

Series: Lark Cove (2)

Willa Doon has always been shy. Her quiet demeanor was something she's always embraced. That is, until Jackson Page moves to town. The one man she desperately wants to take notice struggles to remember her name.Year after year, Willa stands by, watching as the bartender slash playboy drowns his demons in beer and sex. Then one night, he shows up at her door, suddenly aware that the girl he's seen around Lark Cove is now a beautiful woman.Except what he doesn't remember is that this visit isn't his first. They spent a night together once before. A night he's forgotten, thanks to a bottle of tequila.A night that crushed a timid girl's heart, and set a broken man on the path to heal them both.… (more)

Jackson and Willa.

When I read this book I wasn't sure I would be able to read this book without my heart breaking.
The premise to me seemed a forlorn heroine watching the so called 'Hero' man-whore himself around town without being noticed herself.

But it wasn't about that, those events are in the past and we start the story with Jackson noticing Willa, well kind of. He notices her then doesn't remember noticing her then realizes there is something about her in the back of his memory.
To be fair to Jackson there is an age difference between them, not huge but enough that when you are younger you know people who are a bit older than you but the older person may not particularly noticed the younger generation, esp as she is educated and he struggled to finish High school and his focus is on surviving, different circles and she is really shy.

There was no ex drama, no cheating, no intimate scenes with another man/woman. There are only very miniscule references to his past, certainly no detail and no face to put to his past exploits.

I enjoyed the start but for me it lagged a bit in the middle.

I wasn't 100% sure why Willa had such a crush on Jackson other than him being handsome, she doesn't really know him, certainly not to have crushed on him for so long. She even says that at one point, though she does have dealings with him via, the pub and Thea from the previous book.
There are a lot of references to the previous book, they run concurrently so if you haven't read it then there may be spoilers in this book for that one.

There are excellent secondary characters, lots of humour with some very funny lines.
Willa had a close group of friends and she was closer to one in particular and there was one who was bitchy, it was realistic, typical group dynamic you sometimes see.
It is dual POV. HEA.

Lots of material there for more books to the series. ( )
  izzied | Oct 29, 2020 |
4.4 stars

I enjoyed watching Willa and Jackson get their happily ever after. The deserved it. Again, the author wrote a heartwarming story about real characters. Nothing crazy. Just the relationship in true form with the ups and downs and obstacles that occur in new love.

It is refreshing and poignant. I look forward to the next book. ( )
  MagicalRi | Dec 22, 2019 |
Timid is book two in the Lark Cove series. This is a delightful series by Devney Perry and I love the small town settings that she builds in her books. The Lark Cove series is set in a mountaineous lake town, and our couple for “Timid” is Willa and Jackson. Now we saw hints for this couple in the previous book. And I have to say first off how much I loved this book so much, even more so than even book one!! I stayed up late so I could read this book, I was so addicted to this couple and their romance.

Our story begins with our heroine, Willa Doon, who is very shy and reserved. She runs the children’s summer camp and she has been in love with Jackson Page ever since he arrived in town when she was seventeen. But she has never had the courage to stand out so that he would notice her. But then one night, while she is out in the park, Jackson comes to her and they share a beautiful swoon worthy kiss and so Willa is hopeful that their encounter will begin something new for the both of them. But when she goes to see him at his bar the next day, he has forgotten the whole night and she is furious.

She can’t believe he has forgotten and so she is endeavoring to forget him completely. But Jackson knows that there is more going on than Willa is willing to share with him and he is determined to find out why he is so fascinated with Willa and why she is resisting him so much. Once Willa and Jackson find their balance and begin anew with each other in their relationship, there is something more that will put their relationship to a test.

I adored Timid and I really found it so easy to relate with Willa. She was such a feisty character especially when you least expect it to happen. I really admired her strength and tenacity and going after what she wanted but also willing to fight for herself and what she deserved. And boy I loved seeing the wild cat come out of such a reserved heroine and boy I was cheering her on. Now for our hero, he was fun and sexy and Ireally like how he has to learn to fight for Willa and she definitely doesn’t make it easy for him and making him grovel for how he hurt her in the beginning of the story.

Jackson and Will made for a wonderful couple that we meet up with here. I was really impressed with both of them here and boy I had a blast with their interactions. The relationship that builds between them is sweet and endearing and I was smiling all the way through. They charmed me completely and I didn’t want to put their book down and this author really worked her magical in “Timid” and very impressed with how she captives you instantly in this book.

We do have a side plot of a murder mystery and I actually liked how this section of the story was implemented because it really adds depth to Willa and Jackson’s relationship and love how they overcome the challenge together and it really adds more intimacy to their bond that I really became hooked on.

Overall I found Timid to be a stunning romance with a gorgeous setting, a unrequited love tale to delight you and guaranteed to make you fall in love like it was for the first time! TRULY DIVINE!! ( )
  addictofromance | Mar 28, 2019 |

Belongs to Series

She was my courageous champion. My warrior. My lover. My friend. My everything.
Do you have any idea how long I’d been waiting for you to notice me? How many times I’d walked into the bar and wished you’d finally just see me? Then you did and I was so happy. And then you forgot

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 160,564,659 books! | Top bar: Always visible