dismiss

Hex Marks the Spot (Drop Dead Witchy Book 1)

by Ani Gonzalez

Series: Drop Dead Witchy (book 1)

422,637,002 (4.5)None

I had so much fun with this story! I just couldn't resist reading this book as soon as I saw it. I just loved the idea behind it but the hellhound chihuahua really sealed the deal. It is a rather short piece so it was a quick read and it really told a big story with a lot of excitement. I am so glad that this book made its way onto my radar because I thought it was really well done.

Claire is the star of a television show that features haunted places and she is a necromancer which works out well. She drives a purple hearse and her hellhound chihuahua, Pookie, is her constant companion. Buying her family home which happens to be possessed and moving back to her hometown shouldn't be a problem, right? Oh, there is also the little issue of her ghostly kind of boyfriend that seems to show up at just the right moments.

I really liked the characters in this book. Claire is tough, smart, and really quite easy to like. I loved the fact that she was able to communicate with her dog, Pookie, and often found myself grinning over their exchanges. Pookie was awesome! I always seem to think that the smallest dogs have the huge personalities and that is definitely the case with Pookie. Cole, the ghostly kind of boyfriend, seemed to fit in perfectly. This isn't a romance at all but it was obvious that Cole cared about Claire and wanted to make sure that she stayed safe.

I thought that the story was pretty entertaining. The same curse that is her home is showing up all over town and it is really dangerous. Getting caught up in what's happening could very easily lead to death so there was plenty of excitement to keep things interesting. A few ghosts that can offer some assistance along with a few other intriguing characters really add to the charm of the story.

I do recommend this story to others. I had a lot of fun with the book and found it to be a really easy read. I wouldn't hesitate to read more of Ani Gonzalez's work in the future especially if Pookie is involved!

I received a digital review copy of this book from the author via Lola's Blog Tours. ( )
  Carolesrandomlife | Nov 2, 2018 |
BansheeCreek, urban-fantasy, ghosts, snark-fest, paranormal

The necromancer with a TV show, the hellhound who looked like a chihuahua, the hunky ghost, the demon's house, the ritual sword, and the paranormal investigators get together and give the readers an enjoyable afternoon. If you haven't been to Banshee Creek before you'll still have a lot of laughs, but beware, because you'll definitely want to read more about its very unusual citizens! I'm so glad to have a new installment! ( )
  jetangen4571 | Oct 21, 2018 |

Belongs to Series

Ani Gonzalez is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 149,297,239 books! | Top bar: Always visible