Black Swan Green by David Mitchell

Black Swan Green (original 2006; edition 2007)

by David Mitchell (Author)

4,9262051,708 (3.99)425
A novel of boyhood on the cusp of adulthood and the old on the cusp of the new, tracking a single year of 13-year-old Jason Taylor's life in Worcestershire in a dying Cold War England, 1982.
Member:KateFinney
Title:Black Swan Green
Authors:David Mitchell (Author)
Info:Random House Trade Paperbacks (2007), Edition: Reprint, 304 pages

Work Information

Black Swan Green by David Mitchell (2006)

A Fraction of the Whole by Steve Toltz (pebbleyed)
    The Bone Clocks by David Mitchell (sturlington)
    sturlington: Recurring characters.
    Finn's Going by Tom Kelly (sirfurboy)
    sirfurboy: Finn's going is written from the viewpoint of a 10 year old, and extremely well done. It is also well written, has hidden depths and deals with issues of grief. An excellent work that deserves more attention.
    Cloud Atlas by David Mitchell (PghDragonMan)
    The Rotters' Club by Jonathan Coe (Milesc)
    My Struggle: Book 3 by Karl Ove Knausgård (julienne_preacher)
    Slam by Nick Hornby (SimoneA)
    SimoneA: These are both books about a teenage boy growing up with lots of problems, written with a lot of wit.
    Kompani Orheim : roman by Tore Renberg (petterw)
    petterw: To veldig forskjellige oppvekstromaner, men som står godt til hverandre.
    The Likeness by Tana French (lyzadanger)
    lyzadanger: Some similarity of tone; intense coming-of-age in Ireland, with murder mystery.
    The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky (PghDragonMan)
    The Casual Vacancy by J. K. Rowling (jll1976)

English (195)  Dutch (4)  German (3)  Danish (2)  Finnish (1)  All languages (205)
Ordered for the lovely cover and title, the first chapter was promising,
but plot and character development slow moving and not enthralling as anticipated.

No dead horse or dog in this one, simply a way-un-needed dead kitten...and more sad miseries. ( )
  m.belljackson | Oct 30, 2021 |
Mensmerizing, nuanced & poignant coming of age story about a young boy with a stuttering problem growing up in 1980's England. The book takes place during his 13th year and it is awe-inspiring how Mitchell, telling the story in first person, subtly and gradually matures his character's way of thinking about and relating to the world. Mitchell is a mster. Black Swan Green has entered my personal pantheon of favorite books. ( )
  usuallee | Oct 7, 2021 |
i was a little unsure of how I felt about this at first, but this really comes into its own by the end. A solid coming-of-age tale that's beautifully written. ( )
  skolastic | Feb 2, 2021 |
I liked this one a lot. A fun voice, a neat sense of nostalgia, and bits here and there that invite rumination. It's not a hard book by any stretch of the imagination, or a formally tricky one (a la Cloud Atlas), but neither is it exactly light-weight. It's one I'd read again, possibly on a single tear with the other Mitchell I've read. Now I'm off to get his two earliest novels and will wait with bated breath for the next. ( )
  dllh | Jan 6, 2021 |
This book is reportedly "semi autobiographical" so it is hard to know which bits are real life, and which fictional, but the searing nature of the trials of life as a 13 year-old seemed extremely real to me.
Beautiful writing, as I have come to expect from David Mitchell, but I found the contents of this book harrowing.
I wonder how much has changed in terms of the bullying and aggressive social ranking among adolescents since the 1980s. I can only guess that the advent of social media has supercharged the process. ( )
  mbmackay | Dec 23, 2020 |
Fleshing out such elementary wisdom is what coming-of-age novels are about. No doubt, that label will make some grimace and others wax nostalgic, but this novel is OK with caressing its traditional parameters. It settles for the sparks of verisimilitude instead of the fireworks of reinvention, while transmitting the uncomfortably comfortable sensation of smacking into the participants in one’s young life.

Mitchell is so good at inhabiting other voices that halfway through his ambitious "Cloud Atlas" (2004) — the characters include a 19th-century traveler in the Chatham Islands and a genetically engineered slave in a futuristic Korean dystopia — I began to suspect that Mitchell himself might actually be a noncorpum, a spirit who has commandeered the body of a young Englishman to type out its books.

Anxious, perhaps, about being mistaken for a supernatural being, Mitchell set himself a different sort of challenge in his brilliant new novel, "Black Swan Green." The book, set almost exclusively in a village of that name in quiet, provincial Worcestershire, follows 13-year-old Jason Taylor through 13 months, each folded into a storylike chapter.

. . . In Jason, Mitchell creates an evocative yet authentically adolescent voice, an achievement even more impressive than the ventriloquism of his earlier books.

Mitchell, Davidprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Heyborne, KirbyNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Smet, Arthur deTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Do not set foot in my office.
"The world never stops unmaking what the world never stops making. But who says the world has to make sense?"

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 164,436,134 books! | Top bar: Always visible