HomeGroupsTalkExplore

Crochet and Cauldrons

by Nancy Warren

My Grandmother, Agnes Bartlett, used to own Cardinal Woolsey's knitting shop then died and left her shop to me, without informing me that she wasn't actually dead. She's a vampire and part of the world's strangest craft circle-the Vampire Knitting Club.As you might imagine, this means she's free to interfere in how I run the business that used to be hers. She's trying to teach me to knit and it's not going well. She's also trying to teach me how to be a witch, since it turns out I'm from a long line of witches. Another tiny detail about my family that no one ever told me, along with the long-lost witch cousins I recently discovered. But I'm learning. I've got my family spell book, my black cat familiar, some powers that sometimes scare me, and an interesting new group of friends. My archaeologist parents are coming to visit and bringing me a gift I could do without. So, to recap, I run a knitting shop and I can't knit. I'm a beginning witch who can't always control her cat, never mind her magic, and my love life is as tangled as the last sock I tried to knit. Oh, and for some reason, I keep getting involved in murder investigations. Good thing I have my vampire knitters to help sniff out clues. At least I've finally hired the perfect assistant, a real demon with the crochet hook. Or is she too perfect?… (more)

Vampire Knitting Club Book 3
  SueJBeard | Jan 8, 2023 |
I try to express only my most honest opinion in a spoiler-free way. If you feel anything in my review is a spoiler and is not already hidden in spoiler brackets please let me know. Thank you.

This one was a little hard to rate. While it was good. I just wasn't into it. Not the book's fault though, I'm going through a bit of a reading slump. So I'm judging it on other things, and so far this is my favorite book of the series. It had more magic and wonder than even the first book did.

The murder that cozy mysteries usually focus on though didn't happen to over half the book, but that doesn't mean this book was idle the whole time. It seemed to choose to focus on a curse this time versus the murder.

Looks like there might be 2 or 3 new characters coming into the series, which should add some interesting new elements next book. I do have to say though that I knew who the bad guy was almost instantly. I don't know if the author did a bad job hiding it or if she never might to really try this time, but I wasn't even wondering. I knew. ( )
  starslight86 | Jul 20, 2021 |
The Vampire Knitting Club series is quickly becoming one of my favorite cozy mystery series. A young witch (who isn't terribly good at spells) inherits a wool shop (and she cannot knit worth a flip) from her grandmother (who isn't exactly dead) in Oxford, England (and folks just keep dying).

In this book, Lucy is facing a real threat to her life in addition to having someone murdered. The only thing going right for her is her new shop assistant who is perfect for the job. Lucy's parents make an appearance and they are delightful in their focus on archaeology.

For once, I guessed right about the plot, but I was so caught up in the story and the side characters that I wasn't disappointed. The end of the book did surprise me, and I have already bought the sequel.

While the book can be read as a standalone, as with most cozy mysteries, the reader gains more if it is read in order. Anyone who likes cozy mysteries with a touch of the paranormal (witches and vampires, oh my!) should enjoy this book. ( )
  Jean_Sexton | Jul 25, 2020 |

Book source ~ Kindle Lending Library

Lucy Swift inherited her grandmother’s wool shop in Oxford and even though she can’t knit worth a damn she decides to give running it a try since it means a lot to her grandmother. Yes, I said “means” and not “meant.” You see, her grandmother is now a vampire and even though she’s still adjusting to her new way of life and can’t be seen by anyone she knew before, she still is attached to the shop and her granddaughter. Plus, she needs to teach Lucy how to be a witch. Because that’s also something Lucy didn’t know about before her grandmother died. Let’s not forget the vampire knitting circle and the fact that murders keep happening around Lucy and she feels a need to solve them.

In this installment, Lucy’s parents make an unexpected visit even though they’re right in the middle of an exciting find in their Egyptian archaeological dig. Things are weird though and Lucy is trying to figure out how an Egyptian artifact fits into her life and whether it’s tied to the murder of a graduate student.

I love this cozy mystery series. It has humor, paranormal aspects, great characters, and quirky situations for Lucy to deal with. The vampire knitting circle is just too awesome. I love them! There’s even a possibility of some romance coming up in the future. Exciting! I’m going to continue on with this series in the hopes that Lucy will get better at magic. Because heaven knows she sucks at knitting. LOL ( )
  AVoraciousReader | Jun 11, 2019 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 182,958,088 books! | Top bar: Always visible