Under My Hijab

by Hena Khan

1208175,212 (4.3)None
As a young girl observes that each of six women in her life wears her hijab and hair in a different way, she considers how to express her own style one day.

This book invites readers to understand and appreciate the hijab and the Muslim women who decide to wear it. This book follows the different women that wear hijab and how it is part of their life and culture. ( )
  virreyes7 | Mar 19, 2021 |
This book was very good. I don't think this book is geared to necessarily only one subject, it could be used in an English or History class. This book talks about the women in a family who wear hijabs. This book's message I believe was to show that hijabs are a normal thing for many people, and that people wear them by choice. ( )
  kianak98 | Nov 19, 2020 |
This book is about a little girl who is explaining the people in her life that wear a hijab and what their hair is like at home without the hijab.
  abeckley | Oct 4, 2020 |
A girl observes the women in her life as they go about their days in a hijab (in public) and with their hair down (at home). I was nervous I was not going to like this book considering I had such high expectations for it and to simply put it... I TOTALLY loved it. "Under My Hijab" is effortlessly informational while gently squashing stereotypes of women who decide to wear a hijab. This is a beautiful picture book for people who would like to learn more about the hijab or people considering wearing one. ( )
  D.Chokr | Apr 2, 2020 |
I loved every page of this book! The main reason being that is was very informative, but in a way where you do not necessarily feel as if you are learning. I especially liked the back of the book, where author Hena Khan wrote an informative section discussing why women wear hijab's and why some do not. In the information section the author also discusses when women wear the hijab and when they take them off. Throughout the book, a young girl sees many strong women in her life all wearing their Hijab differently. I really enjoyed this perspective of a young girl seeing these women daily. The young girls point of view displayed how she was proud to know all of these women and proud to wear a Hijab. Another reason why I loved this book was the illustrations. They paired beautifully with the authors writing and were soft pastel colors. I wanted to look at them forever. The illustrations also create this wonderful light hearted mood all throughout the story. Lastly, I enjoyed this book for simple what it was; a children’s book that gives a beautiful inside look into a Muslim culture. ( )
  ksteir1 | Mar 2, 2020 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 157,685,710 books! | Top bar: Always visible