What a Widow Wants (The Widow's Club) by…

What a Widow Wants (The Widow's Club)

by Jenna Jaxon

532,432,982 (2.17)None

I received an ARC of this book to read through NetGalley in exchange for a fair review. What A Widow Wants is the 3rd book in Jenna Jaxon’s The Widows’ Club Series. I have to admit I spent the first half of the book strongly disliking the heroine Lady Stephen Tarkington (Frances) or Fanny to her friends. She was flighty, self absorbed, an absent parent and appeared to be quite shallow. Her period of mourning has ended and she wants to go out a have fun and flirt with lots of men. The last thing she is looking for is a new husband. Matthew, Lord Lathbury has always loved Fanny, he’s waited for her for 10 years and is dejected when she turns him down flat when he proposes once again and suggests maybe they could just be lovers instead.
Fanny ended up growing on me and the story twisted and turned with danger and melodrama.
Medium Steam. Publishing Date December 18, 2018. #NetGalley #WhatAWidowWants #JennaJaxon #KensingtonBooks #LyricalPress ( )
  nmgski | Dec 18, 2018 |
What a Widow Wants by Jenna Jaxon
The Widows’ Club #3

Frances, Lady Stephen Tarkington was widowed after her husband died at Waterloo. She has a six year old daughter and was not happily married. She had heard, and believed, that a reformed rake made the best husband only to find out that her husband had no plans to reform at all. There was another man that offered to marry her but she had set her sights on Stephen even though Matthew, Lord Lathbury had a title and proved to be the better man. Matthew saw Fanny and knew he had to have her. He declared his love and his offer of marriage was turned down. When Fanny came to him to seek revenge (and wanted comfort) he was there for her only to be spurned again after four enjoyable months together.

This should be the perfect second chance at love setting BUT...well...I wrote as I read: Fanny is petulant, selfish, immature, a bad mother, dramatic, stupid… and she didn’t wise up till it was nearly too late. I didn’t get her and didn’t warm to her. As for Matthew...he was a nice enough guy but a bit of a wimp to sit on his hands for ten years or even seven years waiting for a woman who continued to turn him down. I didn’t see the attraction between them and though they achieved their HEA eventually I never really invested in them or their story.

Did I enjoy this book? Not so much
Would I read more in this series? Maybe

Thank you to NetGalley and Kensington-Lyrical Press for the ARC – This is my honest review.

2-3 Stars ( )
  CathyGeha | Dec 11, 2018 |
Rcvd an ARC at no cost to author..(netgalley) Yeah I so did not like this book, and regretted giving my time to it. So we meet Fanny and I get that her husband was unfaithful to her so now that she is free she wants to go all wild and is not ready to make another commitment when she feels that she has to get to know Mathew for real, since she apparently did not take as much time with her husband and he ended up being horrid. That is the beginning of this book not making sense. She apparently knew Matthew for along a time, he was one of her suitors when she had her coming out season. And even though she did like him she went after the man she married, and when she found out her husband was cheating on her she did the same and for a good while. The stopped their affair seven years ago when Mathew wanted her to leave her husband and she didn't want that. So now her husband is dead and she passed her mourning period and wants to sleep with others, Matthew has proposed repeatedly and while she may be attracted to him she is thinking of it but wants time to as I mentioned go wild. Come to find out her daughter is also Matthew's and she kept it from him..Hated her and story. ( )
  Pelusa41 | Nov 6, 2018 |

"The widowed Lady Stephen Tarkington, Fanny to her friends, has finished mourning her cad of a husband and is ready to enjoy her freedom. The kind of freedom neither a gently bred miss nor a close-watched wife is permitted: dressing up as Aphrodite for a masquerade, drawing gentlemen away from the party, and hinting at late-night assignations with her dance partners. All is going pleasurably according to plan--until the Roman god Fanny kisses during a masquerade turns out to be Matthew, Lord Lathbury, whose proposal she refused years ago. Lathbury is charming, passionate, inventive, everything Fanny wants in a lover--but unfortunately, he's on the hunt for a wife. He's more than willing to use all his wicked skills to persuade her back to the altar, but he can't wait forever. And now Fanny's position is more precarious than she once thought. If the tongues of the ton set to wagging, it's possible no offer in the world will save her from ruin. But does she want to be saved?"--… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,629,731 books! | Top bar: Always visible