The Yellow Wallpaper by Charlotte Perkins…

The Yellow Wallpaper (edition 2018)

by Charlotte Perkins Gilman (Author)

1,744457,405 (3.98)None
Enjoy 7 thought-provoking stories that employ charm and humor to examine relations between the sexes from a feminist perspective. In addition to the title story, an 1892 classic that recounts a woman's descent into madness, this collection includes such masterful stories as "Cottagette," "Turned," "Mr. Peebles' Heart," and more.… (more)
Member:jennamozingo
Title:The Yellow Wallpaper
Authors:Charlotte Perkins Gilman (Author)
Info:Martino Fine Books (2018), 24 pages
Collections:Favorites
Rating:****1/2

The Yellow Wallpaper and Other Stories (Dover Thrift Editions) by Charlotte Perkins Gilman

English (44)  Dutch (1)  All languages (45)
Incredibly Short. I'm not sure I really understood the premise, may require a re-read. It was disturbing, but in a strange long-forgotten sense (Eg. 1890). There's really no harm in reading this since its so short, but I was expecting more from the story somehow. Feels slightly unfinished, but as a short story (Eg. Bradberry Collection) it stands on its own just fine especially considering how old the writing is. ( )
  bhiggs | Jul 26, 2021 |
Series Info/Source: This is a stand alone short story that I bought for Kindle.

Story (4/5): This is a rather short story about a young woman suffering from postpartum depression who is told to take rest in a room with yellow wallpaper in a house that her husband rents for the summer for her recovery. It was well written and stands the test of time well, I enjoyed the tone to it but it is sad as well.

This poor young woman who is in deep depression is left to her own mind and not supposed to do anything to help her recovery, which she knows is the wrong thing to do given her mental state. However, her husband and other male doctors know better. Her seclusion and isolation leads to her obsession with the wallpaper and eventual mental collapse.

Characters (4/5): I enjoyed the main character a lot and really felt for her. Someone else is taking care of her baby (as was common for the time) and her friends and family are asked not to visit because it is too stimulating. She tries to follow the advice of her husband (who is also a doctor) but feels like if only she could do something, anything it would help her pull out of her depression.

Even writing in a journal is considered too stressful for her. I can’t even imagine going through postpartum depression and having no one to talk to and nothing to do but sit in your own mind day after day, hour after hour. The surrounding characters aren’t outwardly cruel, they are just ignorant and following the advice of the times. However, their ignorance made me cringe and it was even worse because a lot of women’s issues are still brushed under the rug even today.

Setting (4/5): The whole story takes place at a rural country estate. Most of the story focuses on the bedroom the young woman and her husband stay in and the ugly dilapidated wallpaper that the room is covered in.

Writing Style (4/5): I actually liked this a lot. The writing style was easy to read, had a very light ironic tone to it that I enjoyed. This does seem very ahead of its time and is a good addition to classic literature that talks about women’s rights and health. I have read a number of books about how women of this time were treated when they showed “mental instability” and it’s absolutely fascinating, upsetting and atrocious. I am so glad that some of Gilman’s works are gaining more notoriary.

My Summary (4/5): Overall this is a very well done short story and has a big impact for the small page space it takes up. I found it to be an entertaining, fascinating, and sad read about the state of women’s health in the late 1800’s, early 1900’s. Sadly a lot of these issues around things like postpartum depression are still not taken seriously by many people even today. Would recommend this, it’s an easy and quick read and is well done. I also really enjoyed the short preface that gives an overview of Gilman’s life and her written works. ( )
  krau0098 | Jan 18, 2021 |
I remember reading this in my Women in Fiction class in my sophomore year and loving it. The final line of the book has always stuck with me as being one of the creepiest final sentences ever written. I re-read it this October to kick of the Halloween season and was not at all disappointed - the story held the same power and that final sentence - pure shivers. ( )
  tattooedreader13 | Aug 27, 2020 |
This book was written by a woman who was depressed and sent to the country to rest. The woman wants to be a writer, but her husband and doctor feel that she just needs to rest and relax so that she can get back home to her children. But instead of resting, she is confined to a room in a house with "hideous" yellow wallpaper where she descends into madness.

This is a very short book that was originally written in 1892. It captivates a "rest cure" that doctors used to prescribed to women who seemed to be depressed after childbirth. This woman sinks to insanity and blames most of it one the yellow wallpaper in her room. She starts to hallucinate that there are people in the wallpaper that are trying to get her.

This book is a good depiction of depression and how it can be misdiagnosed and mismanaged. It was a quick read, and an interesting one at that, so check it out. ( )
  JenMat | Jan 10, 2019 |
I originally read this story back in high school. I had this uber feminist English teacher who had us reading everything from The Awakening to The Handmaid's Tale. I was way more closed minded and stubborn back then (ok, I'm still really stubborn) and definitely did not share in her feministic views. However, somehow, this short story always stayed with me.

So imagine my surprise when I am reading this book and I come across the backstory as to why Gilman wrote The Yellow Wallpaper. A Civil War doctor use to prescribe what he called "rest cure" for different ailments (mainly mental health related, although they certainly didn't categorize it as such back then). For men, he sent them out West, to be outdoors with other people, hunting, being active, relaxing. But for women, he sentenced them to confinement. Told them they needed to be in an isolated, dark room with no visitors and no stimulation. And people actually accepted this!

Well, most did. Gillman, one of his patients, rejected the idea so soundly that she produced The Yellow Wallpaper as a result. (Apparently Virginia Woolf also met with the doctor and had a similar response). This fact made me think I misjudged this short story all those years ago. So I took to rereading it. With this new knowledge of how it came about (and I am sure a more mature and open mindset), I was able to see just how inspired, angry, and good Gilman's story really is. ( )
1 vote Kristymk18 | Feb 8, 2016 |

Charlotte Perkins Gilmanprimary authorall editionscalculated
Potter, KirstenNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
This is a collection of 7 stories. For exact titles, see description.

Contents: The yellow wallpaper --
Three Thanksgivings --
The cottagette --
Turned --
Making a change --
If I were a man --
Mr. Peebles' heart.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 160,496,464 books! | Top bar: Always visible