dismiss

The Outlaw's Mail Order Bride (Outlaw Mail Order Brides)

by Linda Broday

1331,155,132 (3.6)None
When the West was wild and man's law favored the few, these extraordinary women could be found...in the heart of an outlaw. Former outlaw Clay Colby is abuzz with his mail order bride's expected arrival. He's fought long and hard to drag Devil's Crossing out of lawlessness...so when his homestead is set ablaze by a bitter rival, he's heartbroken. There's no woman in the world who'd stand by him now. But Tally Shannon is no ordinary woman. After escaping the psychiatric hospital in which she was wrongfully detained, Tally only wants someone to protect her and the little girl under her care. She doesn't mind that Clay's home is dang near burned to the ground-not when he makes her feel so safe. So cherished. But it's only a matter of time before the ghosts of her past come calling...and her loving cowboy must defend his new bride-and the family they built together-to his very last breath.… (more)

The Outlaw’s Mail Order Bride, by Linda Broday is a 2019 Sourcebooks Casablanca publication.

Fast-paced adventure with strong, well-drawn characters!

Clay Colby is a former outlaw trying to live his life on the up and up. He’s worked tirelessly to bring law and order to Devil’s Crossing. But just when his new bride is set to arrive, his homestead is set ablaze by a bitter enemy. Now, he’s sure his future wife will decide he’s not worth sticking around for.

Talley Shannon’s life has been very hard. She’s just made a daring escape from a psychiatric hospital, from which she was wrongfully detained, and is trying to build a new life for herself and the little girl she has taken charge of.

Despite the scene she observes upon her arrival, she feels safe with Clay and is determined to go through with the marriage. However, she and Clay both have demons from the past nipping at their heels, and despite the increasingly passionate feelings developing between them, those demons are bound to catch up to them sooner or later-

To be honest, this is the first western historical romance I’ve read in ages and ages. I read my fair share of them back in the eighties and nineties when the genre was super popular- albeit politically incorrect, a lot of the time. (They aren't now, of course!) The genre didn’t entirely disappear, but Regency period romances rose in popularity to the point of pulling off what basically amounted to a coup d'état on the entire genre. All other historical time periods fell from favor after that. Oh, sure, there are still authors out there who stayed with the genre, and newer authors who carved out a niche for themselves writing about the western frontier, but they aren’t nearly as plentiful as they used to be.

While I am a big fan of Sourcebooks Casablanca publishing, and their contemporary writers, by the time I realized they published a few western historical romance series, I was pretty burned out and frustrated with the entire historical romance genre in general- with a few notable exceptions for favorite authors.

But, when I was offered a chance to promote this book on my blog by the publisher and by Lone Star Book Blog Tours, I decided to take a leap of faith- and I am so glad I did!

I loved this story!! The characters are bold and brave, the pacing is brisk, with smoldering sensuality and lots of action and adventure. There is a plot I can sink my teeth into, but it is also a heartwarming and inspirational story.

This book was a very welcome change of pace for me and reminded me of how good these western romances can be, and how much I miss reading them. I also loved the colorful and vibrant cover of this book which is in keeping with the sweet romantic dances the main characters enjoyed in the story.

Overall, the authenticity and the excellent storytelling, makes this one a five -star read!! I’m really looking forward to the next book in this series. ( )
  gpangel | Feb 17, 2019 |
Another good book of Broday's to escape into. One of the things I love about her writing is how she makes the West come to life. I could really picture in my mind the town Clay and the other outlaws were building.

Although I didn't like Tally as much as I have Broday's other heroines, her story was still tragic. This seems to be a prevalent theme in Broday's books and it works well in tandem with the harshness of the West. I liked that female friendship played a small role in her evolution and the town's. What could have become a catty, angst-filled story-line (a woman, Rebel, from Clay's past reappearing), ended up being a sweet friendship between Tally and Rebel.

There was plenty of Western action, romance, and sweet family/friend moments that I've come to expect and enjoy of Broday's novels. I think the next one in this series is about Jack, the ex-lawman outlaw and for that I am excited. ( )
  Kristymk18 | Jan 9, 2019 |
Rcvd an ARC at no cost to author..(netgalley) It was ok, that can pass the time. So we are in the past in the west and we meet Cole who is an outlaw and trying to get a better life for himself and starting a town filled with other outlaws who are trying to better themselves. He sends for a mail order bride hence the name and meet Tally who her story was pretty heartbreaking actually the majority of them were heartbreaking. So Tally is wary of marrying Cole because she fears men and it is hard for her to trust others and when you read the story you totally understand. This thoughts went thru that and what these places that existed because these woman and children weren't wanted broke my heart..Cole and the others showed humanity and totally proved there worth. ( )
  NelisPelusa | Oct 27, 2018 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 148,913,656 books! | Top bar: Always visible