Spin by Lamar Giles
When DJ ParSec (Paris Secord), rising star of the local music scene, is found dead over her turntables, the two girls who found her, Kya (her pre-fame best friend) and Fuse (her current chief groupie) are torn between grief for Paris and hatred for each other--but when the lack of obvious suspects stalls the investigation, and the police seem to lose interest, despite pressure from social media and ParSec's loyal fans, the two girls unite, determined to find out who murdered their friend.… (more)

Spin, a 2020 Lone Star selection, involves discovering who murdered Pari, otherwise known as DJ ParSec.

The story is told by multiple points of view. Kya was Paris's best friend, helping her with all things technology. Something happened that caused a rift in their relationship. As the novel progresses, you do learn what happened. Fuse helped Paris with her social media, making sure her name and her talent spread in order to make her famous, which is just beginning to happen. She has a record deal and everything, but she's now dead. Kya and Fuse found the body, and the novel begins with them being questioned in the police station. Kya promptly hits Fuse because they really don't like each other. Paris also has a few chapters from her point of view so that you know what happened before she died.

DJ Parsec has a violent following. They are determined to find out who killed her and threaten Fuse and Kya. They won't be harmed if they can solve the mystery. If not, harm shall ensue. This novel is very modern--hip--young. Texting and hashtags abound, which sometimes slowed down my reading, as I'm not accustomed to reading social text.

The novel's pace will keep you engaged as you unravel who the real killer is and what really happened with Paris. ( )
  acargile | Jan 6, 2020 |
Who murdered DJ ParSec? Was it a best friend? Was it a crazed fan? Was it a member of her team? This story told in alternating voices seeks to solve this case.

Kya is a nerd. She likes apps, she likes computers, she likes coding. She is best friends with Paris Secord, who will become DJ ParSec by the time this book takes place.

Fuse is new to the group. She is in charge of marketing and graining fans for DJ ParSec. Yes she is a fan, but she is also a friend.

Paris Secord is a girl who likes to make music. It’s all she wants to do in life. And she is good. So good, that her career takes off and DJ ParSec and #ParSec nation is born. But fame is fast, and sometimes it’s hard to tell who your friends are, and who is just riding coat tails.

This story is told in alternating voices. Kya and Fuse are current, and Paris tells her story starting two year ago, up to her untimely demise. Kya and Fuse find the body. Slopped over her DJ equipment just before a pop up show. Neither trusts the other, as they both think that the other was part of the nails in the coffins of friendship with Paris.

However, the dark side of a fandom is going to rear its ugly head and make the two girls work together to do what the police can't, and wont do...find Paris’s killer.

I enjoyed this story but parts felt far fetched, such as #DarkNation, but then again when you have things like #Pizzagate, anything is possible. I liked this book for things and events it made me look up, where it was real historical events, or types of music and equipment, or even songs I know I heard in my teen years, but don’t remember.

I would consider this title an #ownvoices work. The author did help launch “We Need Diverse Books”. But would that still be true as a man writing a story about 3 girls? To be honest I don’t know where this line would fall. I mention this because of something I felt to be annoying. All three of the girls go to the same school. But only one talks in AACV, Paris. While the others seem to speak textbook english most of the time. The reason this bothers me is not the AACV as I expect to find it reading this type of book and enjoy it use. It’s that the only character to really use it is the character that drops out of school, that plays music, that doesn’t care about her education. The nerd and the girl from the rich family, while all POC, don’t appear to speak in the same vocal patterns. This probably shouldn’t bother me but it does. It almost seems like a “dumbing” down of a character. Wouldn’t kids from the same school have the same language patterns, mostly? Or is this code switching, and only the “proper english” side is seen. This is part of this reader not knowing and wanting to learn more about AACV, code switching, #Ownvoices, etc.

#KillYourTBR - Verb in the title
#LittleLoveBingo - picked by litten i admire (Bill Blume)
#Booked2019 - Social Media Focus
#NancyDrewChallenge - Less than 50 reviews ( )
  LibrarianRyan | Feb 20, 2019 |
Lamar Giles is a master of understanding teens, their problems, their struggles, and their bravery. In this YA novel, a promising young DJ is murdered, and her two best friends who don't like each other must get past their animosity and jealousy and catch her killer. But first they need to get by her crazed fan group. Great dialogue and impressive unwinding of a layered plot. I interviewed Lamar on my Book Stew show: http://wctv.org/book-stew/ ( )
  froxgirl | Jan 30, 2019 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 142,565,916 books! | Top bar: Always visible