The Test by Sylvain Neuvel

The Test (edition 2019)

by Sylvain Neuvel (Author)

3142565,798 (4)11
Award-winning author Sylvain Neuvel explores an immigration dystopia in The TestBritain, the not-too-distant future.Idir is sitting the British Citizenship Test.He wants his family to belong.Twenty-five questions to determine their fate. Twenty-five chances to impress.When the test takes an unexpected and tragic turn, Idir is handed the power of life and death.How do you value a life when all you have is multiple choice?… (more)
Member:DuckOfDoom
Title:The Test
Authors:Sylvain Neuvel (Author)
Info:Tor.com (2019), 112 pages
Tags:to-read

Work Information

Test by Sylvain Neuvel

Some time in the future, Idir and his family had fled to Britain from Teheran to avoid the persecution of his journalist wife. Now, he is sitting for the citizenship test - just twenty-five questions and he and his family will become full ctizens of Britain. But, only minutes after starting the test, it is interrupted by a group of terrorists who break into the room and soon Idir is fighting, not only for his life but that of his family.

Wow! The Test by Sylvain Neuval packs one heck of a wallop in the very short space of a novella. I don’t want to give too much away about this story except to say it explores some difficult moral questions as Idir, a kind and caring man, is forced to make life-and-death choices not for himself but for others.

I listened to the audiobook version of The Test as narrated by Neil Shah who does a brilliant job adding to what is already a very tense and compelling storyline. ( )
  lostinalibrary | Nov 20, 2021 |
***WHO SUCKED ME IN***
Tori Morrow on YouTube in their Science Fiction in One Sitting | 8 Short Recommendations video published on 25 aug. 2020

Short stories I can read in one sitting but also science fiction that actually work in a short book?! How can I not get sucked in. Bit of a shame that I can't seem to get most of them in paperback. I actually like to buy novella's even though they are a bit pricey. I don't know I'm always a bit worried that if I don't buy them in physical form, they will somehow disappear from my memory even if I enjoyed them so much. Also novella's are perfect to recommend to non-readers!
  Jonesy_now | Sep 24, 2021 |
I’ve heard quite a bit about this author’s Themis Files series but as it’s sci-fi, I never planned to read it. I can’t even remember when this little novella came onto my radar, but I put it on my library hold and finally got it. And I frankly have no right words to describe this reading experience because my mind is totally blank right now.

As the summary is already present here on GR, I’m not gonna rehash it. The citizenship test here is just a plot device - what’s important is what the whole process symbolizes and the horde of existential questions it leaves us with. This book is about belonging - how far are you ready to go to belong to a place, especially if you are running from fearful circumstances and want to be a part of a much safer society. If you are made to choose between life and death for others, how will you decide who gets to live. This is a searing commentary on various biases and prejudices that exist, either subconsciously in us as an individual or pervasive in the society; and how much can we overcome them when faced with impossible choices. And finally it’s about choices - how each decision we make influences what happens to us next and how it changes us a person - and that’s why we should be very careful in every decision we make.

To conclude, this is probably the vaguest review I have ever written but I don’t know what else to say. This book a total mindfuck and just leaves you stunned and unsure of everything around you. So, I would definitely recommend this but be sure you are in the right mindset to be able to handle it. If you are someone who is going to be giving a citizenship test in the near future, this book might be very anxiety inducing, so please be prepared for that. And if you are someone who loves reading about dystopian worlds which feel too close to our reality (something like Internment by Samira Ahmed, or even the Handmaid’s Tale or 1984), then this book is perfect for you. ( )
  ksahitya1987 | Aug 20, 2021 |
I'm an unabashed fan of Sylvain Neuvel. I enjoy his clear, concise writing, I like reading dialogue, and I love this novella. It explores the inhuman treatment governments might conceivably inflict on 'others' (refugees, immigrants, asylum seekers) given the appropriate tools, and the devastating impact on those others. Although this test is unlike any existing citizenship test, you can't help but wonder if it isn't too far away, or whether our current treatment of those others isn't just as bad. ( )
  KarenBayly | Apr 10, 2021 |
2021 Popsugar reading challenge - shortest book on TBR
  NCDonnas | Jan 2, 2021 |

Sylvain Neuvelprimary authorall editionscalculated
Gray, JonathanCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
The Life in the United Kingdom Test

QUESTION 1: WHO IS THE PATRON SAINT OF WALES AND ON WHICH DATE IS HIS FEAST DAY?

I know the answer!

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 164,580,893 books! | Top bar: Always visible