The Moment of Lift: How Empowering Women…

The Moment of Lift: How Empowering Women Changes the World (edition 2019)

by Melinda Gates (Author)

Member:pqfuller
Title:The Moment of Lift: How Empowering Women Changes the World
Authors:Melinda Gates (Author)
Info:Flatiron Books (2019), 288 pages
Collections:To read

The Moment of Lift: How Empowering Women Changes the World by Melinda Gates

Recently added byGHE9186, jkjt, lisaross, private library, prpresourceguide, Rosareads, sunshinetexan, JCPLIB, Smin, Dyrfinna

A eye opening and heartfelt look across the globe and the multitude of ways we can make this world a better place. ( )
  cougargirl1967 | Aug 8, 2019 |
An inspiring view of how Melinda Gates, head of the Gates Foundation, is managing to make a real difference in women's lives in poor countries. She did this, not just by throwing money at the problem, but by visiting the women in their homes and finding out what they really wanted and what was the best way to solve their problems. She used or set up local groups to carry out the programs, so that they were more likely to be successful. At the end, she talks about harassment and devaluation of women in this country too. An excellent, well-written book from someone who has lived and worked at all levels of society. Highly recommended! ( )
  krazy4katz | Jul 28, 2019 |
Thoughtful reflections by billionaire Melinda Gates about her recognition of the importance of supporting women in all walks of life especially those on the fringes. Interesting stories of her life and philanthropies all with the theme of the necessity of bring parity between men and women. ( )
  bblum | Jul 22, 2019 |

“How can we summon a moment of lift for human beings – and especially for women? Because when you lift up women, you lift up humanity.”

For the last twenty years, Melinda Gates has been on a mission to find solutions for people with the most urgent needs, wherever they live. Throughout this journey, one thing has become increasingly clear to her: If you want to lift a society up, you need to stop keeping women down.

In this moving and compelling book, Melinda shares lessons she’s learned from the inspiring people she’s met during her work and travels around the world. As she writes in the introduction, “That is why I had to write this book―to share the stories of people who have given focus and urgency to my life. I want all of us to see ways we can lift women up where we live.”

Melinda’s unforgettable narrative is backed by startling data as she presents the issues that most need our attention―from child marriage to lack of access to contraceptives to gender inequity in the workplace. And, for the first time, she writes about her personal life and the road to equality in her own marriage. Throughout, she shows how there has never been more opportunity to change the world―and ourselves.

Writing with emotion, candor, and grace, she introduces us to remarkable women and shows the power of connecting with one another.

When we lift others up, they lift us up, too. ( )
  jepeters333 | Jun 21, 2019 |
Melinda Gates writes with passion and empathy about her experiences with women around the world. ( )
  MarthaJeanne | Jun 3, 2019 |
For Jenn, Rory, and Phoebe

Publisher Annotation: A debut from Melinda Gates, a timely and necessary call to action for women's empowerment. A personal statement of passionate conviction, The Moment of Lift: How Empowering Women Changes the World tells of Gates? journey from a partner working behind the scenes to one of the world?s foremost advocates for women, driven by the belief that no one should be excluded, all lives have equal value, and gender equity is the lever that lifts everything. 288pp., 300K

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 137,368,578 books! | Top bar: Always visible