The Moment of Lift: How Empowering Women…

The Moment of Lift: How Empowering Women Changes the World (edition 2019)

by Melinda Gates (Author)

3571952,367 (4.12)9
**One of AudioFile Magazine's Best Audiobooks of 2019**NEW YORK TIMES BESTSELLER"The Moment of Lift is an urgent call to courage. It changed how I think about myself, my family, my work, and what's possible in the world. Melinda weaves together vulnerable, brave storytelling and compelling data to make this one of those rare books that you carry in your heart and mind long after the last page." -- Bren Brown, Ph.D., author of the New York Times #1 bestseller Dare to Lead"Melinda Gates has spent many years working with women around the world. This book is an urgent manifesto for an equal society where women are valued and recognized in all spheres of life. Most of all, it is a call for unity, inclusion and connection. We need this message more than ever."-- Malala Yousafzai"Melinda Gates's book is a lesson in listening. A powerful, poignant, and ultimately humble call to arms." -- Tara Westover, author of the New York Times #1 bestseller EDUCATEDA debut from Melinda Gates, a timely and necessary call to action for women's empowerment."How can we summon a moment of lift for human beings - and especially for women? Because when you lift up women, you lift up humanity."For the last twenty years, Melinda Gates has been on a mission to find solutions for people with the most urgent needs, wherever they live. Throughout this journey, one thing has become increasingly clear to her: If you want to lift a society up, you need to stop keeping women down.In this moving and compelling book, Melinda shares lessons she's learned from the inspiring people she's met during her work and travels around the world. As she writes in the introduction, "That is why I had to write this book--to share the stories of people who have given focus and urgency to my life. I want all of us to see ways we can lift women up where we live."Melinda's unforgettable narrative is backed by startling data as she presents the issues that most need our attention--from child marriage to lack of access to contraceptives to gender inequity in the workplace. And, for the first time, she writes about her personal life and the road to equality in her own marriage. Throughout, she shows how there has never been more opportunity to change the world--and ourselves.Writing with emotion, candor, and grace, she introduces us to remarkable women and shows the power of connecting with one another.When we lift others up, they lift us up, too.… (more)
Member:pqfuller
Title:The Moment of Lift: How Empowering Women Changes the World
Authors:Melinda Gates (Author)
Info:Flatiron Books (2019), 288 pages
Collections:To read

The Moment of Lift: How Empowering Women Changes the World by Melinda Gates

Recently added bySmsw, MenloPark, private library, blueridge, Absolution13, EHOL21, TCK, Jennifer_Belmont, avk88, e-zReader

Remarkable. Highly recommended if you are, or know someone who is, a woman. ( )
  bennybillings | Sep 24, 2020 |
First, I give this a 4.5 instead of a 5 because her actions are not as stated in the book when she gave the leader of India an award recently.
Throughout the book she points at him and his party as promoting bias against women's rights, what she is fighting for.

Other than that, the book is a good and detailed description of how the Gates Foundation zeroed in on how best to help poor people globally.

Certain paragraphs are very uplifting and dramatic.An example is the "I want a teacher" episode from pages 89 to 92 in the hardbound version.
The conclusion is well written, however it extends through the epilogue, so might be partially missed by the reader not expecting this to dribble on into that part.

In summary this is a motivating detailed account of how to start and focus your priorities to have the most affect in a philanthropic effort. It is also interesting since it is true and includes many memorable individuals, striving for a better life and better world. ( )
  billsearth | Aug 26, 2020 |
Brilliant concept which should be applauded but the presentation was too preachy for my taste ( )
  dolly22 | Jul 9, 2020 |
Pretty good book about how empowering women can help in reducing poverty ( )
  cploonker | Mar 22, 2020 |
I'm so thankful for a friend recommending this book. I've heard of The Gates Foundation and of Melinda Gates, but I didn't have a great understanding about all the wonderful things they do. What really stuck out to me in this book is that Melinda is continually learning. Allowing people to tell them not just about their problems, but about the solutions they wanted and needed for these issues. The women she met in Malawi and India knew what could make their situations better, they often just needed support to put the solutions in to practice. Though it feels like an oxymoron, Melinda truly seems like a humble billionaire. I enjoyed hearing about her life before becoming Mrs. Bill Gates and about her father's job at NASA that inspired the title of the book. While listening to the book I realiezed my "world" view is more of a local view, but I realized I can do little things within my own community to help lift others up. ( )
  julesbailey9 | Feb 21, 2020 |
For Jenn, Rory, and Phoebe

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 151,451,734 books! | Top bar: Always visible