The Moment of Lift: How Empowering Women…

The Moment of Lift: How Empowering Women Changes the World (edition 2019)

by Melinda Gates (Author)

**One of AudioFile Magazine's Best Audiobooks of 2019**NEW YORK TIMES BESTSELLER"The Moment of Lift is an urgent call to courage. It changed how I think about myself, my family, my work, and what's possible in the world. Melinda weaves together vulnerable, brave storytelling and compelling data to make this one of those rare books that you carry in your heart and mind long after the last page." -- Bren Brown, Ph.D., author of the New York Times #1 bestseller Dare to Lead"Melinda Gates has spent many years working with women around the world. This book is an urgent manifesto for an equal society where women are valued and recognized in all spheres of life. Most of all, it is a call for unity, inclusion and connection. We need this message more than ever."-- Malala Yousafzai"Melinda Gates's book is a lesson in listening. A powerful, poignant, and ultimately humble call to arms." -- Tara Westover, author of the New York Times #1 bestseller EDUCATEDA debut from Melinda Gates, a timely and necessary call to action for women's empowerment."How can we summon a moment of lift for human beings - and especially for women? Because when you lift up women, you lift up humanity."For the last twenty years, Melinda Gates has been on a mission to find solutions for people with the most urgent needs, wherever they live. Throughout this journey, one thing has become increasingly clear to her: If you want to lift a society up, you need to stop keeping women down.In this moving and compelling book, Melinda shares lessons she's learned from the inspiring people she's met during her work and travels around the world. As she writes in the introduction, "That is why I had to write this book--to share the stories of people who have given focus and urgency to my life. I want all of us to see ways we can lift women up where we live."Melinda's unforgettable narrative is backed by startling data as she presents the issues that most need our attention--from child marriage to lack of access to contraceptives to gender inequity in the workplace. And, for the first time, she writes about her personal life and the road to equality in her own marriage. Throughout, she shows how there has never been more opportunity to change the world--and ourselves.Writing with emotion, candor, and grace, she introduces us to remarkable women and shows the power of connecting with one another.When we lift others up, they lift us up, too.… (more)
Member:pqfuller
Title:The Moment of Lift: How Empowering Women Changes the World
Authors:Melinda Gates (Author)
Info:Flatiron Books (2019), 288 pages
Collections:To read

The Moment of Lift: How Empowering Women Changes the World by Melinda Gates

For a long time, I didn't read this book thinking it was just about their charity work. But I heard Melinda Gates interviewed by David Letterman on Netflix and was intrigued. It was an amazing, inspirational nonfiction about her personal life and how she has worked to bring women's rights to the forefront. It tugs you at your heart and I only wish all women were as equal as men in not only this country but all places around the world. ( )
  Jacsun | Oct 5, 2021 |
Gates writes a stirring book filled with personal experiences and observations of poverty, inequality, and change. She's accumulated a vast and worthy net of professional colleagues that do great things in countries and cultures that oppress women. And your heart will, and should, break as you hear these stories of cultural norms.

This reads like a memoir more than a research book (which is fine) and I admire her open honesty, her ability to reason, her willingness to make changes herself, her thoughtfulness, and her vision of herself. * I agreed (and other stats agree) with her points about

-- women needing (being more powerful when allied with) other women
--cultures that empower, respect, and give women equal opportunities are better and stronger cultures than those who don't
--empathy is crucial in these conversations
--billionaires often do more harm than good with their donations (be educated on where you donate)
--the margins of society are where the greatest suffering occurs
--changes from within the culture are more effective than changes imposed from without (e.g. child brides in India)
--women, wherever they come from or are in their lives, have similar, deep' and worthwhile desires.

Women aside, as a background bonus, it also illustrates the brilliance of early Microsoft culture and the business ---as well as some of the few downsides. Another thing that I appreciated was her honest grappling with the Catholic doctrine with which she was raised. It was refreshing to read.

One of the few downsides, and I emphasize few, is that, in spite of her hyper-awareness of her privilege, she overlooks her own country in some areas (except for the birth control question---which I think she handled tactfully compared to some potentially politically inflammatory topics). For example, she talks about the need for paid maternity and paternity leave and says that women need to demand it. But how can you demand it if you're an illegal immigrant working at a factory and could easily get fired? Or a mother at McDonalds with a highschool education? She gives a brief nod to these in her "Me Too" chapter but demanding a benefit when you're desperately dependant on your paycheck is borderline impossible. It's easy if you're top of the line at Apple or a similar company.

My other issues were, 1) a couple of oversights in her chapter on birth control. If infiltrating the culture is more effective than changing the culture, why isn't there a greater stress on the changing of the male entitlement culture in third world countries? Being beaten by your husband for requesting a condom is a MALE issue and should be addressed. As she says later on, male allies are essential. And this is visible in multiple areas afterwards. I believe that there are better, cheaper ways to solve this issue. ** 2) I think it would have been worth looking into, and getting more personal about, microlending. But that is because I've heard some inspiring stories about that.

But, despite this, it was worthy piece of work that she should be proud of and I remain incredibly impressed with her and her husband (and think that Amazon could use some tips from them) and their valuable efforts.

Pro Tip: Don't read while pregnant. :)

*Meaning that she gets, unlike some other writers, that she has access to some privileges that others don't, as a white, female, married-to-Bill-Gates, educated American.
** See [b:The Heavens Are Open|50977612|The Heavens Are Open|Wendy Watson Nelson|https://i.gr-assets.com/images/S/compressed.photo.goodreads.com/books/1568949811l/50977612._SX50_SY75_.jpg|73452732] ( )
  OutOfTheBestBooks | Sep 24, 2021 |
Every female over the age of 10 should read this book and most males (some there's no hope for). "Read" audio book as part of a book club promotion. The book gave me goosebumps, made me sad, made me angry - it's nothing we didn't know or talk about in the 60's but to our shame, the problem was/has not been addressed, just continues and continues. Gates' reading adds to the book; her vulnerability and compassion do the same. I would give the book 10 stars if the rating went that high. Her idea on inclusion is interesting. Certainly most people feel like little islands. ( )
  SusanWallace | Jul 10, 2021 |
Melinda French Gates strongly makes the case that women who are treated equally and have access to equal opportunities, not only uplifts the women but society as a whole. Thanks to the the work and research of the Gates Foundation in places such as Africa and India, Melinda addresses the main topics of inequality and provides examples of how they can be addressed: family planning, work inequality, child marriage, access to contraceptives, and more. It's a compelling argument all around and an inspirational call to action. ( )
  Salsabrarian | Jun 1, 2021 |
I appreciate the work that the Gate's Foundation does for the world and enjoyed the opportunity to read more about Melinda Gate's role in the organisation and view of the world. ( )
  brakketh | Apr 21, 2021 |
For Jenn, Rory, and Phoebe

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 163,319,795 books! | Top bar: Always visible