Mirador de la Memoria

Mirador de la Memoria

No tags.

This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I found this book somewhat difficult to follow. There were a few times I wasn't sure who was narrating. The plot was hard to follow and honestly I think this could have used further editing. But as a first effort it's readable and I would give Miendlarzewska's next book a try based on this one. ( )
  g33kgrrl | Jan 15, 2019 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Very dense, and I imagine, not to many readers taste, but those who persevere through the biology of memory transference will still find themselves without much in the way of plot, and certainly no action. However there is an underlying curiosity (as posited during the novel one of the driving forces of intelligence) to find out what it is all about, and how it resolves.

The story consists of a series of increasingly personal interviews between a younger author looking for material for a biography and a biological researcher currently suspended from work while the ethics committee study her latest and unauthorised experimentation into communal memory. At the same time she is cared for by a mobile AI robot who is seen as increasingly unique with special emphatic capabilities the provenance of which must be fully understood. But there's little desire from Paulina the biologist to do so.

The POV is mostly Paulina's internal monologues as she tries to come to grips with the various thought processes that drive her, and these speculations over the cause and function of memory and emotion (currently very hard and unsolved problems of biology and neuroscience) are technical and hard to read for anyone un-educated in the brain structures. I'm certainly not in a position to say how inaccurate they are. I'm always a little wary of books where the author needs to promote their pHd on the cover, although I do acknowledge the effort required to obtain one, but it's not a good start to a book. Likewise the character jumps to the reporter are infrequent enough to jar you out of Pauline's thoughts, but add little to the story. And ethics committees don't get to subvert their own guidelines in that manner.

It is curious and does raise some interesting questions and thoughts about how technology robotics AI and neuroscience will progress in the near future, but ultimately more depth is required. ( )
1 vote reading_fox | Jan 15, 2019 |

LibraryThing Early Reviewers

's book Mirador de la Memoria is currently available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 131,670,934 books! | Top bar: Always visible