Singapore Boxer by Murray Bailey

by Murray Bailey

532,045,044 (4)None

No tags.

This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Synopsis:Ash Carter is tricked into hunting for a thief who actually doesn't exist. However, he does find that two people have been murdered and that water in the river has been terribly polluted.
Review: Set in the Kuala Lampur tin mine area, this novel has plenty of mystery, adventure, and sex. The story is very well written, keeping the reader engaged throughout the entire book. Ash Carter is a believable hero with just enough tarnish to make him likable. ( )
  DrLed | Jan 6, 2019 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I wouldn't say this is a page-turning thriller. I wouldn't even say it's a thriller. More like a detective story. Reading it, I was reminded a lot of the novels that Ross Thomas wrote. I've not read any of the other Ash Carter stories, but I might if they come around on some of the sites that offer ebooks free or at a discount. I have other things to read that I find more interesting, so I wouldn't pay full price for another installment. A lot of stories like this, with a detective as a main character, seem to have a final solution that is filling in clues that might not have been presented. Intuitive leaps by the detective. Not that this is a bad thing, and in this case, not off-putting for me. An interesting read, and easy to read.
  tatumjt | Dec 29, 2018 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
From shiny Singapore to muddy Malay, this is very like a Graham-Greene B&W film of the noir side of the city and the dark and sinister jungles upcountry where rubber plantations and tin mines are the stage for violence, treachery, murder mystery, bullying, poisoning, and pretty women. Yet, as exciting as that all sounds, the story is low-key and as winding and surprising as the off-track trails the security force, aka soldier-of-fortune force, patrols. I liked the immediacy of it all, I felt I was there, and the intrigue kept me turning the pages. Involving a motley and riveting cast of characters from 1950s Singapore and Malay, this story also showed me an era I had not known about and I was fascinated. Very well written on top of it, with some delightful snippets of dry wit. Awfully good read. ( )
  KayVreeland | Dec 7, 2018 |

LibraryThing Early Reviewers

Murray Bailey's book Singapore Boxer is currently available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

Murray Bailey is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 131,575,038 books! | Top bar: Always visible