Red, White & Royal Blue: A Novel by Casey…

Red, White & Royal Blue: A Novel (edition 2019)

by Casey McQuiston (Autor)

What happens when America's First Son falls in love with the Prince of Wales? When his mother became President, Alex Claremont-Diaz was promptly cast as the American equivalent of a young royal. Handsome, charismatic, genius?his image is pure millennial-marketing gold for the White House. There's only one problem: Alex has a beef with the actual prince, Henry, across the pond. And when the tabloids get hold of a photo involving an Alex-Henry altercation, U.S./British relations take a turn for the worse. Heads of family, state, and other handlers devise a plan for damage control: staging a truce between the two rivals. What at first begins as a fake, Instragramable friendship grows deeper, and more dangerous, than either Alex or Henry could have imagined. Soon Alex finds himself hurtling into a secret romance with a surprisingly unstuffy Henry that could derail the campaign and upend two nations and begs the question: Can love save the world after all? Where do we find the courage, and the power, to be the people we are meant to be? And how can we learn to let our true colors shine through? Casey McQuiston's Red, White & Royal Blue proves: true love isn't always diplomatic. Praise for Red, White & Royal Blue: "Effervescent and empowering on all levels, Red, White & Royal Blue is both a well-written love story and a celebration of identity." ? NPR "I took this with me wherever I went and stole every second I had to read! Absorbing, hilarious, tender, sexy?this book had everything I crave. I'm jealous of all the readers out there who still get to experience Red, White & Royal Blue for the first time!" - Christina Lauren, New York Times bestselling author of Love and Other Words and Roomies " Red, White & Royal Blue is outrageously fun. It is romantic, sexy, witty, and thrilling. I loved every second." - Taylor Jenkins Reid, author of The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo and Maybe in Another Life… (more)
Member:zorak_1996
Title:Red, White & Royal Blue: A Novel
Authors:Casey McQuiston (Autor)
Info:Macmillan USA (2019), 448 pages

Red, White & Royal Blue by Casey McQuiston

The Spare by Miranda Dubner (Sam_Ash)
    Sam_Ash: Family dynamics of world leaders, family bonds, bisexual/gay princes and the ramifications of coming out when you are royalty
    Carry On by Rainbow Rowell (Anonymous user)
    Project Hero by Briar Prescott (Jenson_AKA_DL)
    Jenson_AKA_DL: Both "Project Hero" and "Red, White & Royal Blue" are fun coming of age stories involving young college age men entering their first serious relationships.
    A Royal Shade of Blue by Aven Ellis (Anonymous user)

Alex Claremont-Diaz is the son of the first female president and because of this, he has become the equivalent of young American royalty. With his love of politics, he is pure millennial-marketing gold for the White House. The only problem: Alex can't stand England's actual prince, Henry. When the tabloids get hold of a photo involving an Alex and Henry altercation, heads of family and other handlers devise a plan for damage control...

What begins as a fake, photographic friendship, grows much deeper. Soon, Alex and Henry are doing everything they can to get moments together without those in their immediate circle knowing. If the secret gets out, it could derail the Claremont re-election campaign and upend the two nations. Where does one find courage, and the power, to be the person you're meant to be? How can we let our true colors shine through? Because, love isn't always diplomatic.

The only reason this book took me as long as it did to read was because I would purposely not read it unless I knew I wasn't going to be interrupted. This book was just so cute and adorable and I loved it so much. Even though it would have crazy moments happening, Alex and Henry were so cute, I would get sucked into their world.

This story did read a little "Fanfictiony" but I think that's honestly what I enjoyed the most about it. For the longest time, I grew up reading only fanfiction. Enemies to lovers but still torn apart by opposing sides? Make it gay? Sign me up! It was a great escape. Especially since work had become slightly more hectic again.

The banter between Alex and Henry had me ugly snort laughing! Especially the emails at the beginning:

First Son of Your Former Colony
Alex, First Son of Off-Brand England
Horrible Revolting Heir

I would aim this book more towards the New Adult genre (18-25) as both main boys are in their early twenties as well as some of the context - both mentally and sexually. But anyone that wants enemies to lovers romance, this is the book for you! ( )
  oldandnewbooksmell | Sep 24, 2021 |
A very satisfying read. Lots of humour and a lot of heart.

Bonus point: I actually didn't want to stop reading! Which makes this the second book this week after a very long. Weird how that sometimes goes. ( )
  Jonesy_now | Sep 24, 2021 |
An entertaining book but the political terminology and plot made it a bit boring and difficult to understand at times. ( )
  _Marcia_94_ | Sep 21, 2021 |
A cute romance story between the prince of England and the son of the USA? Uhm yeah count me in. Seeing as I want to read more queer books this was right up my alley.

The book is about Alex, the son of the president of the US. As the first family is always in the public eye no one can find a flaw about him. Only problem is that Alex hates the royal prince of Wales, Henry. After a picture get’s taken where it looks like the two are having a fight serious damage control need to be done.
Both the PR of the Royals and the White House come up with the perfect plan to make it look like the two are best friends. The only problem is that they can’t stand each other and they have to put their differences aside to make this plan work. What follows is something both guys never thought would happen.

To say I liked this book is an understatement. I absolutely loved it. I read this on my vacation in Greece and I could not have picked a better place to read it. I have to start by saying I’m very picky when it comes to romance books. I usually never like them, that’s because when there is only one element that I do not like the whole book is ruined and I can’t overlook it. With this book I didn’t have any problems. The characters were amazing, Alex was super flawed and it was handled beautifully. Henry was also flawed and in such a realistic way. It felt like I was really reading about real people instead of fiction characters. I really got so much more than I expected going into this. The whole situation with the politics was new for me as I’m neither from the United States or the United Kingdom but it was explained in such a way it was easy to follow. The group of friends were great fun and although you don’t really get to see Henry’s group that much it felt okay and not lacking something. The only thing I did not really care for was one little subplot which involved some politics. It as one thing I didn’t love but it was not as prominent so I still give this a 5-star review.

If you’re up for a cute romance between two guys who actually hate each other look no further and read this book!
  luclicious | Sep 20, 2021 |
This book was ALL OVER my social media, so finally I gave in and bought myself a copy. And I was so happy that I did, because when I finally picked it up it was EXACTLY the warm fuzzy blanket that I needed for my early-pandemic exhausted brain.

Don't get me wrong, I know this book has its criticisms and reading it, I could see where they were coming from. But at the same time, I was close enough to this book's target audience and I appreciated all the things this book was trying to do and I just really needed to shut that critical part of my brain off for a bit and snuggle into the dream of an America not governed by a narcissistic garbage fire, not experiencing a pandemic and recession, in an America where we can elect women, be cool with queerness in the first family, respect Latinx politicians, etc., etc.

I just loved it. It was the right book in the right moment for me. ( )
  greeniezona | Sep 19, 2021 |

Casey McQuistonprimary authorall editionscalculated
de Ocampo, RamonNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
for the weirdos & the dreamers
On the White House roof, tucked into a corner of the Promenade, there’s a bit of loose paneling right on the edge of the Solarium.
History, huh?

First Son Alex Claremont-Diaz is the closest thing to a prince this side of the Atlantic. With his intrepid sister and the Veep’s genius granddaughter, they’re the White House Trio, a beautiful millennial marketing strategy for his mother, President Ellen Claremont. International socialite duties do have downsides—namely, when photos of a confrontation with his longtime nemesis Prince Henry at a royal wedding leak to the tabloids and threaten American/British relations. The plan for damage control: staging a fake friendship between the First Son and the Prince.

As President Claremont kicks off her reelection bid, Alex finds himself hurtling into a secret relationship with Henry that could derail the campaign and upend two nations. What is worth the sacrifice? How do you do all the good you can do? And, most importantly, how will history remember you?

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 162,471,360 books! | Top bar: Always visible