Red, White & Royal Blue: A Novel by Casey…

Red, White & Royal Blue: A Novel (edition 2019)

by Casey McQuiston (Author)

What happens when America's First Son falls in love with the Prince of Wales? When his mother became President, Alex Claremont-Diaz was promptly cast as the American equivalent of a young royal. Handsome, charismatic, genius?his image is pure millennial-marketing gold for the White House. There's only one problem: Alex has a beef with the actual prince, Henry, across the pond. And when the tabloids get hold of a photo involving an Alex-Henry altercation, U.S./British relations take a turn for the worse. Heads of family, state, and other handlers devise a plan for damage control: staging a truce between the two rivals. What at first begins as a fake, Instragramable friendship grows deeper, and more dangerous, than either Alex or Henry could have imagined. Soon Alex finds himself hurtling into a secret romance with a surprisingly unstuffy Henry that could derail the campaign and upend two nations and begs the question: Can love save the world after all? Where do we find the courage, and the power, to be the people we are meant to be? And how can we learn to let our true colors shine through? Casey McQuiston's Red, White & Royal Blue proves: true love isn't always diplomatic. Praise for Red, White & Royal Blue: "Effervescent and empowering on all levels, Red, White & Royal Blue is both a well-written love story and a celebration of identity." ? NPR "I took this with me wherever I went and stole every second I had to read! Absorbing, hilarious, tender, sexy?this book had everything I crave. I'm jealous of all the readers out there who still get to experience Red, White & Royal Blue for the first time!" - Christina Lauren, New York Times bestselling author of Love and Other Words and Roomies " Red, White & Royal Blue is outrageously fun. It is romantic, sexy, witty, and thrilling. I loved every second." - Taylor Jenkins Reid, author of The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo and Maybe in Another Life… (more)
Member:melodyun
Title:Red, White & Royal Blue: A Novel
Authors:Casey McQuiston (Author)
Info:St. Martin's Griffin (2019), 448 pages

Work Information

Red, White, and Royal Blue by Casey McQuiston

The Spare by Miranda Dubner (Sam_Ash)
    Sam_Ash: Family dynamics of world leaders, family bonds, bisexual/gay princes and the ramifications of coming out when you are royalty
    Project Hero by Briar Prescott (Jenson_AKA_DL)
    Jenson_AKA_DL: Both "Project Hero" and "Red, White & Royal Blue" are fun coming of age stories involving young college age men entering their first serious relationships.
    Carry On by Rainbow Rowell (Anonymous user)
    A Royal Shade of Blue by Aven Ellis (Anonymous user)

English (183)  French (1)  All languages (184)
Not gonna lie, I didn't love it. The reason for the 4 stars?... epistolary emails.

Too much politicizing; too much "fade-to-black". ( )
  Bookbee1 | Sep 30, 2022 |
Romance books aren't generally my thing but this one sounded different enough to try it out. I finished it shortly before Queen Elizabeth II died which made it a little more poignant than it was probably intended to be.

The two main characters in this book are Alex Claremont-Diaz who is the son of the President of the United States and Prince Henry, a grandson of the reigning Queen and thus in line for the throne. Prince Henry knows he is gay although he hasn't come out to his family at the beginning of the book. Alex is unsure about his sexuality although as his relationship with Henry becomes physical he wonders how he could have missed the fact that he was attracted to both males and females. Before they acknowledged their mutual attraction they had a fractious relationship that culminated in the destruction of a very expensive wedding cake at Henry's older brother's wedding. In order to prevent a public relations disaster the two are required to spend time publicly together. Much jetting back and forth across the Atlantic ensues and then they kiss. More jetting back and forth and much more physical intimacy ensues. When they are not together they are exchanging quite explicit texts. Alex's mother is running for re-election and her opponent leaks a compromising photograph and the texts. Except it doesn't do as much harm as you might think and it solidifies Alex and Henry's relationship. And like any good romance there is a happy ending.

This is a fun listen but so obviously unrealistic that the listener needs to park their pragmatism for the duration of the book. ( )
  gypsysmom | Sep 14, 2022 |
I loved and adored everything about this book! ( )
  wisemetis | Sep 13, 2022 |
I’d be so happy right now to actually have proper words to describe this beautiful mess that this book is but I rarely do have them so this review is going to be an equally hot mess. I’m actually having a doughnut while writing this so that should do. ( )
  Iqrakhalid | Sep 12, 2022 |

Casey McQuiston - Red, White & Royal Blue: What an oddly life-changing book, and it’s not only because of the political fantasy she crafts. #cursorybookreviews #cursoryreviews ( )
  khage | Sep 10, 2022 |

Casey McQuistonprimary authorall editionscalculated
de Ocampo, RamonNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
for the weirdos & the dreamers
On the White House roof, tucked into a corner of the Promenade, there’s a bit of loose paneling right on the edge of the Solarium.
History, huh?

First Son Alex Claremont-Diaz is the closest thing to a prince this side of the Atlantic. With his intrepid sister and the Veep’s genius granddaughter, they’re the White House Trio, a beautiful millennial marketing strategy for his mother, President Ellen Claremont. International socialite duties do have downsides—namely, when photos of a confrontation with his longtime nemesis Prince Henry at a royal wedding leak to the tabloids and threaten American/British relations. The plan for damage control: staging a fake friendship between the First Son and the Prince.

As President Claremont kicks off her reelection bid, Alex finds himself hurtling into a secret relationship with Henry that could derail the campaign and upend two nations. What is worth the sacrifice? How do you do all the good you can do? And, most importantly, how will history remember you?

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 177,061,818 books! | Top bar: Always visible