dismiss

Too Close by Natalie Daniels

Too Close

by Natalie Daniels

"Working as a dedicated forensic psychiatrist for many years, Emma is not shocked so easily. Then she is assigned to work with Connie, a wife and mother accused of a despicable crime. Connie is suffering from dissociative amnesia--or at least seems to be. Now it is up to Emma to decide whether Connie can stand trial for her sins. But there is something about Connie that inexorably pulls Emma into her orbit. Perhaps it is the way she seems to see right through Emma, speaking to Emma's deepest insecurities about her life, marriage, and her own tragic past. And soon Emma begins to understand how Connie's complicated marriage and toxic relationship with her beautiful best friend, Ness, could have driven Connie to snap--or maybe, like Connie, Emma is simply getting too close to a woman who is unforgivable"--… (more)

This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
It has been a very long time sense I have read a book I stayed up half the night to finish. This was one of those books. Once I started it, it was impossible to put down. This was a very fast read and kept me turning the page. But me being the person I am was not thrilled with the ending. I would have liked to see a little justice for the main character. But this author did not disappoint on a fantastic story. I HIGHLY recommend it ! Absolutely fantastic! So happy I did not miss reading this book. (***** ) ( )
  kmjessica | Apr 26, 2020 |
I absolutely loved this debut novel by Natalie Daniels. It's a real page turner with an ending that is surprising. It's one of the few books that I've read recently that kept me up way past bedtime but I just had to know how it would end.

At the beginning, Connie was married with two small children and a stressful job. She didn't get to spend as much time with her family as she wanted to but everything was working out. One day at the park she met Ness, a new neighbor with a daughter the same age as Connie's. They became best friends and confided all of their secrets to each other. A few chapters later, Connie woke up in a psychiatric hospital. She was battered and bruised and her hair was falling out AND she had no idea why she was there or how long she'd been there. She was told that she'd committed a horrific crime and the media is referring to her as the Yummy Monster but she has no memory of a crime. When her doctor starts coming to visit, she starts to remember things. Her psychiatrist is Emma, a dedicated forensic psychiatrist whose job was to determine if Connie was able to stand trial for her crime. Some people thought that Connie was fooling everyone by acting like she doesn't remember but Emma decides that she has dissociative amnesia and really can't remember what happened. As Connie and Emma spend more time together, Emma begins to develop a friendship and tells Connie things about her life that shouldn't have been discussed between the two of them. Will their growing relationship help or hurt Connie's recovery?

This is a page turner of a novel about friendship and mental illness and forgiveness not only of others but of yourself. It was hard to believe that this was a debut novel and I will be watching for this author's next book. ( )
  susan0316 | Nov 10, 2019 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I first want to address the marketing of this book. The publisher opted to label this as a "psychological thriller." It's not a thriller at all, and the overuse of that genre label has become problematic. "Thriller" sets certain expectations, which readers then bring with them into the story. The nonexistence of thriller content inevitably leads to disappointment. Too Close is slow-burning psychological suspense. This book is absolutely not a fast-paced thriller.

The story is dark, dramatic, and intense. The author provides incredible insight into the spiraling destruction of mental illness. We take an in-depth look at relationships of all sorts, exploring a wide range of emotions against the backdrop of a shattered mind. I really loved this aspect of the book.

The writing style occasionally reaches literary standards, but other times the sentences lack rhythm and become repetitive - not in content but in form. A little editing would easily make this a more absorbing read.

The story's format could be irritating for some readers. We float between the present and the past, filling in the gaps of Connie's memory. I wasn't bothered by this stylistic choice, but I would've liked the sections to be labeled. Often I'd assume I was in the present or a particular part of the past, and it would take a few paragraphs before I realized I was in a totally different time period.

While I had some quibbles with the story's execution, I was totally invested in the characters' tangled relationships.

*I received a review copy from the publisher, via LibraryThing.* ( )
  Darcia | Jul 23, 2019 |
Emma Robinson is a forensic psychiatrist with a new case. Connie, her institutionalized patient, is suffering from amnesia. Emma must decide if Connie is fit to stand trial for a crime she committed but can't remember. And why can't she remember anything? Did her relationship with her best friend Ness leave her vulnerable and ready to snap? Were Connie and Ness too close to each other or is Emma the one getting too close to Connie as she tries to unravel the events that led to Connie's break down?

Too Close is a well written psychological drama with its share of twists and turns. And although I liked the story, I was somehow unable to develop real feelings for the characters. I'm not sure why this was the case because all the events that led to the dilemma of the main characters are laid out for the reader as the story unfolds. Nevertheless, it felt as if they were all too distant, which meant that I didn't have as much empathy for them as I would have liked. I did, however, think the second half of the story had a better pace and more tension, which made it worthwhile reading.

Thanks to Harper Collins for allowing me to read this book in exchange for an honest review.
More reviews at: www.susannesbooklist.blogspot.com ( )
  SUS456 | Jul 22, 2019 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Six years ago, Connie met Ness – who had just moved into the neighborhood - in the park, and they have bonded an inseparable friendship since then. What Connie didn’t know is that the nightmare of her life had also just begun.
One day, Connie wakes up in a mental health institution, with her torso and limbs covered in deep open wounds and bumpy mass of redness due to severe burning. A psychiatrist, Emma Robinson, has been assigned to work with her to recover the memories of the tragedy that has happened to her and her family.
At the mean time, Emma has to deal with the demon of her life as well. Is she fit enough to perform her profession accordingly?
Is Connie able to wake up from her nightmare? What is Emma’s demon? One has to read this original, gripping page-turner to find out.
I would like to thank LibraryThing and Harper Collins for giving me the opportunity to read and review Natalie Daniels’ “Too Close”.
Natalie Daniels is a darn talented British author in the psychological thriller genre, and I am looking forward to reading her future thrillers! ( )
  Emily_Wai_Catan | Jun 15, 2019 |

LibraryThing Early Reviewers

Natalie Daniels's book Too Close is currently available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 146,693,556 books! | Top bar: Always visible