Have you checked out SantaThing, LibraryThing's gift-giving tradition?
dismiss

Once Ghosted, Twice Shy (2019)

by Alyssa Cole

Series: Reluctant Royals (Novella 1)

Alyssa Cole returns with a fun, sexy romance novella in the Reluctant Royals series! While her boss the prince was busy wooing his betrothed, Likotsi had her own love affair after swiping right on a dating app. But her romance had ended in heartbreak, and now, back in NYC again, she's determined to rediscover her joy--so of course she runs into the woman who broke her heart.When Likotsi and Fabiola meet again on a stalled subway train months later, Fab asks for just one cup of tea. Likotsi, hoping to know why she was unceremoniously dumped, agrees. Tea and food soon leads to them exploring the city together, and their past, with Fab slowly revealing why she let Likotsi go, and both of them wondering if they can turn this second chance into a happily ever after.… (more)

4/5 ( )
  wayfaring_stranger | Oct 12, 2020 |
Charming novella with engaging characters. ( )
  elenaj | Jul 31, 2020 |
I read this in a couple hours during a cozy winter afternoon, and it was good for that but not perfect. While I liked seeing Likotsi again, and her get her happy ending, I’m not sure I care for her quite in a leading role and I found myself skimming a little. A bit too much organization and reserve for my taste, I think. Fab was great though, and I almost wish I could’ve gotten the whole book from her POV.

The book stays well within its limits as a novella, though. Doesn’t try to do too much, doesn’t add things in to build out space, is designed to be short and sweet and was certainly both. The romance is cute and seeing them work out their issues in a whirlwind of a date was enjoyable, and on top of that, I think I detected some nice upending of butch/femme stereotypes. For one thing, Likotsi’s pretty comfortable being vulnerable.

And like the other books in this series, I appreciated that Cole’s touching on contemporary issues and extending “Black Americans” beyond “people who were born in the States”. It gives this story the heart and tension it needs, for sure.

But … a good book in my view holds my attention, so maybe I wasn’t quite in the mood for romance or reading or maybe I just ran into my “novellas are rarely perfect” problem. Or the writing in this one was a little weaker than the novels themselves? I dunno. Something that turned this into a “liked, didn’t love”, anyway.

To bear in mind: Will give you a tour of Weird New York. Might make you hungry.

6.5/10 ( )
1 vote NinjaMuse | Jul 26, 2020 |
I love this series. ( )
  j_tuffi | May 30, 2020 |
The f/f romance we all deserve, honestly. ( )
  kittenelephant | Mar 21, 2020 |

Belongs to Series

Reluctant Royals (Novella 1)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 152,553,999 books! | Top bar: Always visible