Something Read Something Dead: A Lighthouse…

Something Read Something Dead: A Lighthouse Library Mystery (edition 2019)

by Eva Gates (Author)

National bestselling author Eva Gates's fifth Lighthouse Library mystery will carry fans of Miranda James and Jenn McKinlay to the Outer Banks of North Carolina. Dark deeds in the Lighthouse Library threaten to send Lucy Richardson's soon-to-be-wed cousin Josie to an early 'til-death-do-us-part. Winter falls on North Carolina's Outer Banks as Lucy Richardson and her friends joyfully help her favorite cousin, Josie O'Malley, plan her wedding. The owner and head baker of Josie's Cozy Bakery and her fiancé, chef Jake Greenblatt, want a small, simple wedding. But to their horror, Josie's imperious grandmother, Gloria, descends with the "Louisiana Mafia": a gaggle of aunts and cousins who intend to take control of the wedding plans. Gloria doesn't do small and simple, and cousin Mirabelle has her own ideas for Josie's wedding, something grand and lavish--and paid for by Josie's parents, of course--that will kickstart her fledgling event planning business and get her work shown on the covers of wedding magazines. To make matters worse, Mirabelle focuses her full Southern charm on the prospective groom...and Jake doesn't seem entirely adverse to her attentions. To smooth the waters, Lucy hosts a bridal shower at the Bodie Island Lighthouse Library. But it turns deadly when Mirabelle collapses--soon after eating the gluten-free treats Josie prepared specifically for her. Now, to save her favorite cousin from prison, Lucy will have to bring a crook to book in this fifth festive Lighthouse Library mystery from national bestselling author Eva Gates.… (more)
Member:Rhondadarlage1963
Title:Something Read Something Dead: A Lighthouse Library Mystery
Authors:Eva Gates (Author)
Info:Crooked Lane Books (2019), Edition: Reprint, 336 pages

Something Read, Something Dead by Eva Gates

Something Read, Something Dead (Lighthouse Library Mystery #5) by Eva Gates

This is the fifth book in the Lighthouse Library Mystery series.
Lucy Richardson is helping her cousin, Josie plan her wedding. But Josie’s Grandma Gloria makes a visit and brings along cousins and a wedding planner, as well as all of her overbearing demands on the wedding plans that everything must be big and better, even down to the cake.
When Josie can’t take any more of her grandma’s overbearing demands and watches her cousin Mirabelle openly flirts with her soon to be husband, Josie says a few heated words and storms out.
What a wonderful, well-planned story with plenty happening with over the top Grandma Gloria who has to have the best, The humour and lightheartedness, and poor Josie who wants nothing more than a small simple wedding. ( )
  DSB041170 | Mar 3, 2021 |
Something Read, Something Dead is the 5th book in the Lighthouse Library mystery series. I enjoy the series for its characters, humor and mystery plots....but also because the series is set in Nags Head, NC. I love to visit Nags Head! I've been to the Bodie Island Lighthouse -- climbed to the top, bought the t-shirt, love the place! So, being a Carolinian, I love this cozy mystery series!

I will say that I do have to suspend reality while I read these books. Bodie Lighthouse in the books and the real deal are quite different. Bodie Lighthouse is not big enough to house a library and an apartment...not even close. It's basically big enough to house the winding staircase to the top, and that's it. But I'm willing to forget that and enjoy imagining what it would be like for the tall, magestic, black and white striped landmark to house a library. :)

In this 5th visit to the Bodie Island Lighthouse Library, Librarian Lucy Richardson has a lot going on. Her cousin Josie is trying to plan her wedding, but apparently not fast enough for her Grandma Gloria. Gloria shows up with wedding planners in tow, expecting to take over the arrangements. Fussing about the venues, caterers, menus, dresses, etc ensues. All that fuss alone causes enough commotion all by itself....but it gets fundamentally worse when one of the planners drops dead at the wedding shower. Then a contractor finds major foundation damage to the lighthouse. Lucy is beside herself trying to investigate a murder....and save the library.

Great addition to this fun series. I love the mix of humor, mystery and NC coast quirkiness. :) I highly recommend both reading this series and visiting Nags Head! :)

**I voluntarily read an advanced readers copy of this book from Crooked Lane via NetGalley. All opinions expressed are entirely my own. This review is gluten free.** ( )
  JuliW | Nov 22, 2020 |
This wonderful story contained plenty to hold my attention. Author Eva Gates had me completely hooked within the first couple of pages. Unwanted wedding advice, the appearance of someone her groom once dated, and the possible murder of a shower guest leaves the bride-to-be more than a little frustrated about the impending nuptials.

For those new to this series, the library lighthouse is a charming setting. Lighthouses are fascinating to many, including this reader who lives only a short distance from several of them. Add in a cat, and I’m ready to settle in for a good cozy mystery. Dog people need not panic as the cat is really a more peripheral character – you will not be drowning in feline overkill.

Something Read, Something Dead is the first book I’ve read by Ms. Gates and I will be looking for more of her work. Her writing flows easily. Her characters are well fleshed out, so the reader can easily read this fifth book in a series without feeling that she is missing some critical detail. For those who try to outguess the fictional sleuth, you have your work cut out for you.

I received my copy as a contest prize with no obligation to review. ( )
  catchat | Nov 29, 2019 |
Cute and cozy. Josie is married with the usual family drama. ( )
  bgknighton | Oct 20, 2019 |
I'm not a fan of weddings, so I enjoyed this installment less than others in the series, but I want to continue reading the series. ( )
  bookcookie1920 | Sep 17, 2019 |

Belongs to Series

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 158,909,616 books! | Top bar: Always visible