Trust Exercise: A Novel by Susan Choi

Trust Exercise: A Novel (edition 2019)

by Susan Choi (Author)

Member:jtb55
Title:Trust Exercise: A Novel
Authors:Susan Choi (Author)
Info:Henry Holt and Co. (2019), 272 pages
Tags:First Edition

Trust Exercise by Susan Choi

Summer 2019 TOB--How frustrating it is to read a book and not know or understand what happened. After I finished this book I read a review in The New Yorker and realized that I literally didn't understand it. Still don't know what part of the book is true or not. The book is split into 3 parts--2 long and 1 short ending. The first part was okay at best. The "trust exercises" of repeating the same thing to each other back and forth was overdone. In the 2nd part, it took awhile to figure out what was going on an are left hanging a little bit. The last part--what was that. Clearly much of what we just read wasn't true--I think anyway.

So as you can tell, this book wasn't for me. ( )
  kayanelson | Jun 7, 2019 |
I kept telling myself I could power through, but then...there are so many other books to read. Why continue to punish myself with this narcissistic teen when I have The Old Drift from the library?
  hairball | May 26, 2019 |
Transported back in time...check, love angst teenagers...check, the words "trust exercise" used a lot...check.

Sarah and David started out hot and heavy but along the way they lost their way. This is where Mr. Kingsley comes into play. As part of his class, he has the students face each other and conduct "trust exercises". The only ones that can't commit to the exercise is Sarah and Dan. After seeing them struggle; as the reader you are left wondering if these two can ever reconcile.

Fast forward to the present. The timeline is speed up. It almost feels like missed some important facts. I even re-read a part thinking I had but nope. It was frustrating. At least the ending was a nice one. I wished that the speed of the present was spread out as I grew bored half way through the story. ( )
  Cherylk | May 25, 2019 |
This is almost two books. The first part follows several characters in an elite performing arts high school in the 1980s, specifically actors. It's stunning in its detail, verisimilitude and writing. The second part explores the aftermath of the relationships that occurred in that program. It is less successful and actually messy. ( )
  Hagelstein | May 18, 2019 |
This books is designed to make you feel off-kilter, which I believe is what Choi was going for, and it definitely makes you ponder a lot at the end, but there still seemed to be something missing to make me enjoy it. ( )
  bookwyrmm | May 15, 2019 |

As captivating and tender as it is surprising, Susan Choi'sTrust Exercise will incite heated conversations about fiction and truth, and about friendships and loyalties, and will leave readers with wiser understandings of the true capacities of adolescents and of the powers and responsibilities of adults. "Superb, powerful . . . this novel is destined to be a classic." -Publishers Weekly (starred review) "[Choi's] finest novel. . . . exposing tenuous connections between fiction, truth, lies, and, of course, people. Literary deception rarely reads this well." -Booklist (starred review) NAMED A MOST ANTICIPATED BOOK OF 2019 by Buzzfeed, Entertainment Weekly, New York Magazine, Electric Literature, The Millions, PopSugar, The Philadelphia Inquirer, Publishers Weekly, Lit Hub, Bustle, and The Huffington Post In an American suburb in the early 1980s, students at a highly competitive performing arts high school struggle and thrive in a rarified bubble, ambitiously pursuing music, movement, Shakespeare, and, particularly, their acting classes. When within this striving "Brotherhood of the Arts," two freshmen, David and Sarah, fall headlong into love, their passion does not go unnoticed-or untoyed with-by anyone, especially not by their charismatic acting teacher, Mr. Kingsley. The outside world of family life and economic status, of academic pressure and of their future adult lives, fails to penetrate this school's walls-until it does, in a shocking spiral of events that catapults the action forward in time and flips the premise upside-down. What the reader believes to have happened to David and Sarah and their friends is not entirely true-though it's not false, either. It takes until the book's stunning coda for the final piece of the puzzle to fall into place-revealing truths that will resonate long after the final sentence.… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers

Susan Choi's book Trust Exercise is currently available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,565,902 books! | Top bar: Always visible