The Christmas Train by David Baldacci

The Christmas Train (edition 2003)

by David Baldacci (Author)

2,120755,266 (3.27)84
"Tom Langdon, a weary and cash-strapped journalist, is banned from flying when a particularly thorough airport security search causes him to lose his cool. Now, he must take the train if he has any chance of arriving in Los Angeles in time for Christmas with his girlfriend. To finance the trip, he sells a story about a train ride taken during the Christmas season."… (more)
Member:VasArch
Title:The Christmas Train
Authors:David Baldacci (Author)
Info:Pan Books (2003), 272 pages

The Christmas Train by David Baldacci

Recently added byprivate library, CCooper67, MendoLibrary, St.MarkUMC, happybird, Twinmountain, Nora_Max
    Skipping Christmas by John Grisham (MikeBriggs)
    The Edge by Dick Francis (SylviaC)
    SylviaC: Trans-continental train journeys full of railway atmosphere. The Edge has more suspense, while The Christmas Train is light and cheerful.

English (73)  Italian (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (75)
Absolutely the best holiday/Christmas story I've ever read. I first read this the year it came out (and bought the hardback) and have since listened to the audiobook twice. I still enjoy the characters and the story. It creates a longing to take a cross country train trip. It is extremely well written and the audiobook is among the best narrated books I have listened to. No matter what genre you prefer, you will still enjoy this story. There is a bit of a mystery, some romance, some suspense, some drama, some comedy . . . it has everything. ( )
  JohnKaess | Jul 23, 2020 |
One of my favorite holiday books ( )
  JohnKaess | Jul 23, 2020 |
Included short story “Waiting for Santa” ( )
  LindaFSHemp | May 17, 2020 |
"The Christmas Train" is the first of four books I've bought to try and read myself into the Christmas spirit. It didn't go so well.

The start of the book was so sickly sweet, I thought it might raise my blood sugar enough to push me over into type two diabetes. I persisted because it's a Christmas book and a certain amount of schmaltz was to be expected and I hoped things would get better when the book go into its stride.

The book never got into its stride. It stumbled along from scene to scene, clumsily structured and underwritten.

David Baldacci seemed to be trying to do some kind of homage to Mark Twain but ended up simply emphasizing the gap between Twain's storytelling ability and his own.

I could have forgiven the cardboard characters in the supporting cast and the inept attempts at some kind of magical realism, and the over-long info-dumps and pro-Amtrack propaganda that sat in this under-cooked Christmas Pudding of a book, as indigestible as a sixpence, if only the main character, Tom Langdon had been worth caring about. Instead I got an implausible, inconsistent, cipher of a man who, it seemed to me, was a self-absorbed, immature, manipulative, prankster who didn't seem up to the task of being the romantic lead.

The book is narrated by Tim Matheson. He did the dialogue reasonably well but the prose dragged him down with its mediocrity no matter how much seasonal cheer he tried to inject.

The only thing that made it worth trudging through the slush of this book for seven hours were the insights into the, to my European eyes, peculiar attitude of Americans to passenger trains. I use trains for long journeys all the time. These days, the high-speed, high-tech trains are a viable competitor to planes for many business trips, yet here they were presented as a dying anachronism. Still, given how bad the rest of the book was, I'm not sure I can rely on this information.

This was my first David Baldacci book. I assume, as the book cover declares him to be a "Number One International Bestselling Author", they can't all be this bad but my experience of "The Christmas Train" doesn't encourage me to find out. ( )
  MikeFinnFiction | May 16, 2020 |
Boring and predictable ( )
  Melwilk | Mar 19, 2020 |
This novel is dedicated to everyone who loves trains and holidays.
Tom Langdon was a journalist, a globetrotting one, because it was in his blood to roam widely.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 150,684,548 books! | Top bar: Always visible