The Bastard (Filthy Duet Book 1)

by Lisa Renee Jones

Series: Filthy Trilogy (1)

I'm the bastard child, son to the mistress, my father's backup heir to the Kingston empire. He sent me to Harvard. I left and became a Navy SEAL, but I'm back now, and I finished school on my own dime. I'm now the right hand man to Grayson Bennett, the billionaire who runs the Bennett Empire. I'm now a few months from being a billionaire myself. I don't need my father's company or his love. My "brother" can have it. I will never go back there. I will never be the mistake my father made, the way he was the mistake my mother made.And then she walks in the door, the princess I'd once wanted more than I'd wanted my father's love. She wants me to come back. She says my father needs to be saved. I don't want to save my father but I do want her. Deeply. Passionately. More than I want anything else.But she's The Princess and I'm The Bastard. We don't fit. We don't belong together and yet she says he needs me, that she needs me. We're like sugar and spice, we don't mix, but I really crave a taste. Just one. What harm can just one taste do?BOOK ONE IN THE FILTHY DUET… (more)

The Bastard is the first book in the Filthy Trilogy by Jones and I am just beginning to get into this author's work and I am intrigued. Now I tried reading this one just a couple of weeks ago and yeah I set it aside when I saw that it was a step sibling romance and that is not my cup of tea. But then for some reason this week I was in the mood for this one, I don't know why but I decided to try it out again and I quickly fell in love with this story. Its not your typical step sibling romance either, so I did enjoy seeing how this author implemented this aspect within the story.

The Bastard is a story of two people that once had an affair, but then Eric left and Harper was left alone. But then they are brought back together when Eric returns home to get justice against his family that wronged him, only to learn, the only woman he ever loved is now related to him when her mother married his father. Harper has her reasons for sticking with the Bennett family, but the feelings she carries for Eric are her undoing and they both end up stumbling on a plot to destroy them but there are secrets that Harper is keeping from Eric, could that be what destroys them?

Man this book was a whirlwind of a read and honestly I knew after that ending I would be picking up book two....dang those cliffhangers. I actually really fell hard for these two characters. There is such angst and deep emotion and the way that this author really balanced out those elements worked for me. Their romance is fiery and intense and the emotional build up is one that will leave the reader on the edge, highly looking forward to the rest of the trilogy to see where this author takes this pair. ( )
  addictofromance | Jan 2, 2021 |
I've received a ARC from Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.

Some of the scenes and dialogue seem really repetitive. The overall story fell flat and there wasn't enough depth with the characters for me to feel any sort of connection with the story. Unfortunately this just wasn't for me. ( )
  ayoshina | Oct 2, 2020 |
Find this review and others at Carlene Inspired.

The Bastard is Lisa Renee Jones' first novel in the new Filthy Duet and the sixth book in the Dirty Rich series. I'm happy to report the duet is completely standalone and can be reach without reading the Dirty Rich series, though if you're like me it's going to make you want to read them. Like all other LRJ novels, The Bastard sucked me in within the first few pages and I couldn't stop reading for anything. Eric Mitchell is self-made, no thanks to his father, but the hurt from being the bastard child is still there. When The Princess asks for his help though, he can't say no, even if it means helping his father along the way too. Harper is beautiful, smart, and in too deep, but she means something to him, even when nothing and no one else does.

"This is unforgiving. It's in my blood. It's who I am, who I was born to be. A bastard who wants her."

Secrets, lies, and some serious chemistry fill the pages of this book. Eric is handsome, wealthy, and always in control, plus he's seriously a sweetheart. I loved his strength, he faces those who have wronged him just to help the girl he can't get out of his mind. Like all LRJ novels, there's a puzzle to be solved here and there's no doubt that Harper holds some of the pieces. Harper and Eric have instant chemistry, the kind that literally pulls them to one another from across the room, the kind that makes them forget the slightly taboo nature of it. I loved their connection, it's almost at lethal levels with the way the two give in despite all signs pointing to no. Unfortunately, in The Bastard its illegal business practices that bring the two together again and it just might be the secrets that force them apart again.

"He's too good at goodbye. I'm too good at wanting him."

The Bastard is classic LRJ, with just the right amount of detail, extensive dialogue that drives the story, and smut that lights the pages on fire. The cliffhanger didn't shock me, but it certainly was jarring and left me DESPERATE for more. Like, where's The Princess and when can I have a copy of it? The Bastard is sexy, suspenseful, and very character driven. I love how Lisa Renee Jones keeps you hanging on to every word and I highly recommend you take the time to meet Eric and Harper.

"He's trouble, but my God, I have long hungered for another taste of that trouble."

ARC provided. ( )
  CarleneInspired | Jun 14, 2019 |
Count on Jones to create a character that has to get under your skin to steal your heart. Whether you love him or hate him, Eric knows how to be the star of the show. Life may make the rules, but he's intent on calling the shots. Harper is his greatest weakness. She speaks to the broken boy and entices his adult instincts. Their relationship is dangerously messy. Passion runs deep, secrets are endless and heartache is evident. The Bastard is an enchantingly, intricate cryptogram waiting to be solved.

Lashea677 | Feb 16, 2019 |
The description was much better than the book itself. Eric is a soon-to-be billionaire when his only family who always think of him as the bastard need his help. His step-sister Harper who he has a complicated relationship with wants him to help them.
I was excited to read the novel but after 50, 60 pages I had to force myself to go through with it till the end. They “almost” sleep together and the next time they meet is after 6 YEARS. That's a lot of time even for fiction. There was no personality shown, rather everything was just told. There were twists and turns which made me somewhat want to read what happens. I did not like the book. ( )
  sunsettime | Jan 22, 2019 |

Belongs to Series

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 166,300,587 books! | Top bar: Always visible