The Undefeated (Caldecott Medal Book) by…

The Undefeated (Caldecott Medal Book) (original 2019; edition 2019)

by Kwame Alexander (Author)

Winner of the 2020 Caldecott Medal A 2020 Newbery Honor Book Winner of the 2020 Coretta Scott King Illustrator Award The Newbery Award-winning author of THE CROSSOVER pens an ode to black American triumph and tribulation, with art from a two-time Caldecott Honoree. Originally performed for ESPN's The Undefeated, this poem is a love letter to black life in the United States. It highlights the unspeakable trauma of slavery, the faith and fire of the civil rights movement, and the grit, passion, and perseverance of some of the world's greatest heroes. The text is also peppered with references to the words of Martin Luther King, Jr., Langston Hughes, Gwendolyn Brooks, and others, offering deeper insights into the accomplishments of the past, while bringing stark attention to the endurance and spirit of those surviving and thriving in the present. Robust back matter at the end provides valuable historical context and additional detail for those wishing to learn more.  … (more)
Member:djkkasims
Title:The Undefeated (Caldecott Medal Book)
Authors:Kwame Alexander (Author)
Info:Versify (2019), Edition: Illustrated, 40 pages

Work Information

The Undefeated by Kwame Alexander (2019)

This book is a poem about the African American culture through the history of America. It is a touching representation of the history and the current events going on in the United States surrounding the Black Lives Matter movement. The illustrations are notable historical figures and events that have shaped the African American culture. I would use this book as a read aloud to my class to introduce American history and bring the beautiful poetry to light of a dark time in history. The author said it best when she said we have "to accept and embrace all of our woes and wonders." I believe this book does just that. ( )
  Teagan.Mies | Nov 18, 2021 |
"Past and present are quilted together in this innovative overview of black Americans’ triumphs and challenges in the United States.

Alexander’s poetry possesses a straightforward, sophisticated, steady rhythm that, paired with Nelson’s detail-oriented oil paintings, carries readers through generations chronicling “the unforgettable,” “the undeniable,” “the unflappable,” and “the righteous marching ones,” alongside “the unspeakable” events that shape the history of black Americans. The illustrator layers images of black creators, martyrs, athletes, and neighbors onto blank white pages, patterns pages with the bodies of slaves stolen and traded, and extends a memorial to victims of police brutality like Sandra Bland and Michael Brown past the very edges of a double-page spread. Each movement of Alexander’s poem is a tribute to the ingenuity and resilience of black people in the U.S., with textual references to the writings of Gwendolyn Brooks, Martin Luther King Jr., Langston Hughes, and Malcolm X dotting stanzas in explicit recognition and grateful admiration. The book ends with a glossary of the figures acknowledged in the book and an afterword by the author that imprints the refrain “Black. Lives. Matter” into the collective soul of readers, encouraging them, like the cranes present throughout the book, to “keep rising.”

An incredible connector text for young readers eager to graduate to weighty conversations about our yesterday, our now, and our tomorrow. (Picture book/poetry. 6-12)" A Kirkus Starred Review, www.kirkusreviews.com
  CDJLibrary | Nov 3, 2021 |
Strikingly illustrated poem celebrating the resilience of Black Americans. The portraits of famous figures are stunning.
Nelson's stylized rendition of the inhumane conditions on slave ships may be hard to talk about with the youngest readers. That is the challenging truth of history: it's hard to talk about, whether your ancestors were the ones suffering at the time or the ones making someone else suffer. To me it seems like a great starting point for learning for grades 2 and up. ( )
  KSchellVT | Sep 30, 2021 |
This Poem is a unique and well written poem that highlights black Americans and their achievements all throughout history. You can truly tell that the author and illustrator were passionate about putting this piece of literary work together. There is great feeling in the words used as well as power in the illustrations. This book, while entertaining, also provides a great chance to educate people. The historical figures highlighted all have their own stories and backgrounds, and the situations portrayed in the poem are important pieces of history. There are great teaching points to show that a wicked history doesn't have to be repeated, and when we respect everyone we can accomplish so much more. This book recognizes so many great people and achievements that have not gotten enough recognition in the past due to hatred in some peoples' hearts. The vibrant, beautiful illustrations also capture the reader's attention, and I think that they are also very important elements to this literary work. ( )
  Caedon | Jul 14, 2021 |
Kwame Alexander's book, The Undefeated is a beautifully written celebration of the perseverance of blacks throughout history and current times. This book evokes emotion. The poetry is powerful and joy to read. The illustrations, by Kadir Nelson, impactful. I appreciate the listing of iconic historical figures and events that Alexander presents throughout the book in the reference pages in the end. This book is not only a celebration of perseverance, but a reminder of those who did not survive and were taken by hatred. The introductory message striking…”This is a love letter to America. To black America…” and the afterward that Mr. Alexander writes provides insight to his process regarding the book. This is a book that can be used at any grade level, kindergarten through high school, with differing objectives. This is a book I will read every year to my students as we need to hear this message repeatedly. ( )
  Kate.K | Jul 12, 2021 |
Great start! I'd like to see how this is going to turn out. You know what, you can publish your book in N0velStar, and I am sure that a lot of readers will love your work.
added by Lucia_Ocampo | editLibraryThing.com

Kwame Alexanderprimary authorall editionscalculated
Nelson, KadirIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
To my great-great-grandfather, Sgt. March Corprew, 2nd USCT. - Kwame Alexander
For my grandmother, Verlee Gunter Moore. I love you. - Kadir Nelson
This is for the unforgettable.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 164,591,007 books! | Top bar: Always visible