dismiss

Queenie Malone's Paradise Hotel by Ruth…

Queenie Malone's Paradise Hotel (edition 2019)

by Ruth Hogan (Author)

From the wildly popular bestselling author of The Keeper of Lost Things comes an uplifting novel of mothers and daughters, families and secrets and the astonishing power of friendship. 'As lovely as a burst of bright bluebells' Sunday Express 'Technicolour' Daily Mail 'A moving exploration of the complex relationship between mothers and daughters' Observer 'A poignant tale of love and family' Good Housekeeping 'Enchanting . . . divine' Prima 'Beautifully written - astute and funny' Daily Express 'This book really shines . . . laugh-out-loud funny' Stylist Tilly was a bright, outgoing little girl who liked playing with ghosts and matches. She loved fizzy drinks, swear words, fish fingers and Catholic churches, but most of all she loved living in Brighton in Queenie Malone's magnificent Paradise Hotel with its endearing and loving family of misfits. But Tilly's childhood was shattered when her mother sent her away from the only home she'd ever loved to boarding school with little explanation and no warning. Now an adult, Tilda has grown into an independent woman still damaged by her mother's unaccountable cruelty. Wary of people, her only friend is her dog, Eli. But when her mother dies, Tilda returns to Brighton and with the help of her beloved Queenie sets about unravelling the mystery of her exile from The Paradise Hotel, only to discover that her mother was not the woman she thought she knew at all ... Mothers and daughters ... their story can be complicated ... but it can also turn out to have a happy ending. 'A tender tale' Woman & Home 'Absorbing, tender and heartfelt' Mike Gayle, author of The Man I Think I Know 'Her best novel yet' Hannah Beckerman, author of If Only I Could Tell You 'Exuberant and full of zest' Nina Pottell… (more)
Member:katiekrug
Title:Queenie Malone's Paradise Hotel
Authors:Ruth Hogan (Author)
Info:Two Roads (2019), 352 pages
Collections:DEACCESSIONED
Rating:***1/2
Tags:Fiction, contemporary, British, childhood, memory, family, LTER, DEACCESSIONED 6-30-2020

Queenie Malone's Paradise Hotel by Ruth Hogan

Recently added byrhfoesch, LeslieOcc, IMBOS, LDVerbos, private library, CatieN, suki1, NancyAx

This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I have loved Ruth Hogans previous books so went into Queenie Malone’s Paradise Hotel with high hopes. I found the book okay but I didn’t connect with the main character Tilly/Tilda. The storyline dragged in places and I found myself wanting it to hurry along instead of settling into the life and rhythms of the book. I do appreciate the book comes recommended by trusted friends so perhaps it’s the reader right now and just a mismatch. If you’ve previously enjoyed Ruth Hogans books absolutely give this one a try. If you’re new to her writing I recommend trying The Keeper of Lost Things which I highly recommend.
Thank you to LibraryThing and William Marrow for a copy of Queenie Malone’s Paradise Hotel. All opinions are my own. ( )
  CMDH5 | Jul 9, 2020 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I completely judged a book by its cover when selecting this but it was completely different than what I expected. The first half of the book was a bit of a slow build for me and took a bit to get into. I have a 100 page rule before I quit and I'm glad I didn't. There are several parts of the book that are overwhelmingly bogged down with details, but then it's almost as if the book is wrapped up so rapidly. The cast of characters were hard to keep up with and I mostly struggled with who was real and who wasn't. I would give this 3.5 stars mainly to how wonderful part 3 was; I just wish the whole book would have been that great. ( )
  LDVerbos | Jul 6, 2020 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
This one started slowly for me, and I thought about putting it aside, but eventually, I got caught up in Tilda's story. Tilda had a fraught relationship with her mother, who sent her away to boarding school at a young age, and never seemed to accept Tilda and her "oddness." The novel tells the story of Tilda discovering the truth about her mother following the latter's death - a truth obscured by secrets and regrets and the many ways we can hurt those we love the most. Much of the book is told in flashbacks to Tilda's (then Tilly) childhood when she lost her father, the world was a confusing place, and she never felt that she fit in.

This was a decent novel but some of the characters and plot threads were weak. What kept me reading was wanting to know if Tilda would ever reconcile with the memory of her mother. ( )
  katiekrug | Jun 30, 2020 |
I loved this from the beginning first page. The story is told by the child, Tilly and her adult self, Tilda. Her mother is a drunk. Her fathers disappeared. She has been told her father died. Moving to Brighton England, Tilly’s mom is working at Queenie Malone’s Hotel. Every single employee is a well-drawn character with flaws. Queenie’s elderly mother is the most original character of all. All we see is Tilly’s point of view from childhood. But after her mother dies, the grown-up Tilda returns to live in her mother’s flat. Through her mother’s diaries, Tilda, finds a different mother than she knew. This book is strong proof that family can stretch way beyond those to whom you are related. ( )
  brangwinn | May 24, 2020 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
This was a delightful book. Great quirky characters, funny, sweet and touching - it reminded me a lot of Fredrik Backman's books. I look forward to reading Ruth Hogan's other books. ( )
  susan.h.schofield | May 24, 2020 |

LibraryThing Early Reviewers

Ruth Hogan's book Queenie Malone's Paradise Hotel is currently available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 147,955,545 books! | Top bar: Always visible