dismiss

Milwaukee Noir (Akashic Noir)

by Tim Hennessy (Editor)

Other authors: Shauna Singh Baldwin (Contributor), James E. Causey (Contributor), Christi Clancy (Contributor), Reed Farrel Coleman (Contributor), Vida Cross (Contributor)9 more, Jane Hamilton (Contributor), Derrick Harriell (Contributor), Valerie Laken (Contributor), Jennifer Morales (Contributor), Nick Petrie (Contributor), Matthew J. Prigge (Contributor), Mary Thorson (Contributor), Larry Watson (Contributor), Frank Wheeler Jr (Contributor)

Series: Akashic Books Noir Series

Milwaukee Noir is a Boswell Book Company best seller:#1 Paperback Fiction Bestseller for the week ending May 25, 2019, and a#2 Paperback Fiction Bestseller for the week ending May 4, 2019! "Luxuriate in the seedy, wallow in the angry and shiver at the horrors that surely await you around the corner...The sheer localness ofMilwaukee Noir is superb, and the seediness of many characters here would qualify them for membership in a Tom Waits song." --Milwuakee Journal Sentinel "Fourteen fictional tales of people behaving badly in the city and the 'burbs, including top-shelf writers Valerie Laken, Jane Hamilton, Larry Watson and Nick Petrie." --Milwaukee Journal Sentinel, included in Summer Reading 2019; Editor's Pick "InMilwaukee Noir, among the latest titles in Akashic Books' Noir series, 14 writers who've lived here offer a sinister tour of Brew City's radically diverse neighborhoods...Many of these pieces...work effectively not only as atmospheric fiction but also as influential social commentary." --Shepherd Express "Akashic's distinctive series of crime fiction anthologies arrives in Brewtown. The fourteen contributors include familiar Wisconsin writers Valerie Laken, Jennifer Morales, Jane Hamilton, Larry Watson, Nick Petrie and myJournal Sentinel colleague James E. Causey. Like other volumes in this series,Milwaukee Noir foregrounds specific locations: for example, Watson's story has a Yankee Hill setting, and Morales' is set in the Silver City neighborhood." --Milwaukee Journal-Sentinal "Noir exposes the underbelly of a place. In film or fiction, characters live in the shadows, denizens of a night where every good intention is punished. Noir found its natural home in New York City and LA in the 1940s and '50s. Now, Milwaukee can lay claim to its own piece of the genre." --Lake Effect (WUWM 89.7 FM, Milwaukee) Akashic Books continues its award-winning series of original noir anthologies, launched in 2004 withBrooklyn Noir. Each book comprises all new stories, each one set in a distinct neighborhood or location within the respective city. Brand-new stories from: Jane Hamilton, Reed Farrel Coleman, Valerie Laken, Matthew J. Prigge, Shauna Singh Baldwin, Vida Cross, Larry Watson, Frank Wheeler Jr., Derrick Harriell, Christi Clancy, James E. Causey, Mary Thorson, Nick Petrie, and Jennifer Morales. From the introduction by Tim Hennessy: Presently, Milwaukee is going through a renaissance--abandoned factories being converted to condos, craft breweries and distilleries pushing out corner taverns--yet at the same time it is among the most segregated and impoverished big cities in the country. The gentrification of neighborhoods outside of downtown bear the impact of twentieth-century redlining efforts, forcing residents out due to housing demand, adding fuel to the affordable-housing crisis. Such an environment and atmosphere make excellent fodder for noir fiction... The book you're holding is the first of its kind--a short fiction collection about Milwaukee, by writers who've experienced life here. The crime/noir genre at its best can be one of the purest forms of social commentary. I've gathered contributors who can tell not just a fine story, but who can write about the struggles and resilience of the people who live here...I'm honored to compile a body of work that represents what I love, and fear, about Milwaukee. I love my city's lack of pretension;its stubbornness and pride in the unpolished corners. I fear that my city faces an uncertain future--that as it becomes more divided it may pushes our best and brightest to find somewhere else to shine.… (more)

This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
As usual with these noir books, the stories are uneven. Some good, some not so much. Again, as usual, I couldn't bring myself to finish it. It may be me and not the series but I've found this often to be the case with these. I think I need to stay away. ( )
  lindapanzo | Oct 7, 2019 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Essential reading for any literary-minded resident (or former resident) of Milwaukee, one of America's most overlooked cities. "Noir" here covers the seedy, the squalid, and the somewhat mysterious, not just the hard-boiled and the violent. And Milwaukee, with its crumbling industrial infrastructure and its persistent poverty, provides a lot of material for such a focus, despite the creative startups and the truly impressive little restaurants.

The quality of the writing is very good, and the pleasure of a recognizable setting that is not Los Angeles or New York City is not to be underestimated. ( )
  john.cooper | Jun 21, 2019 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Milwaukee Noir, edited by Tim Hennessy, is part of Akashic's Noir series. I am fairly new to the series, this is maybe my third volume, but I am loving them so far.

First is a map of the city, with the neighborhoods highlighted in the collection marked. While the map probably isn't absolutely necessary I do really like having it. It gives a nice geographical grounding that simply saying "Milwaukee" doesn't do. I have visited the city several times, while stationed at Great Lakes years ago, so the map had me trying to figure out where I had been.

In both this volume and the series as a whole the concept of what is noir is left fairly open. The writers can make it about crime or they can make it just plain old dark and oppressive. Atmosphere is key and the writers all tell compelling stories. Like any collection, there are ones I like more and ones I like less but all in all this is a strong collection of short stories, period. They also happen to be of the same genre.

Social commentary is a big part of noir fiction and this volume illustrates some of the issues we face in society. The perspectives are likely different from the reader's, they were for me, even on topics I might have given thought to. So on top of being entertaining (well, as entertaining as dark literature can be) the stories are also thought provoking.

I highly recommend this to readers of short stories, fans of noir or crime stories, and of course anyone familiar with Milwaukee. Nothing makes a book more compelling than knowing the locations mentioned throughout. I'm not familiar enough to be part of that third group, but the first two are definitely me.

Reviewed from a copy made available by the publisher via LibraryThing Early Reviewers. ( )
  pomo58 | Jun 10, 2019 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
The Akashic Noir series is my favorite collection of noir fiction and I've been fortunate enough to have read many of these books. I now count Milwaukee Noir as one of my favorites. There's not a disappointing story in those that editor Tim Hennessy has put together. Milwaukee Noir's stories have a certain flavor that rings true, a Midwestern city, founded and formed by immigrants, a community with a high crime rate and rising poverty level, peopled with characters who cling to their town no matter what the circumstances as Milwaukee clings to the shores of Lake Michigan. ( )
  bayleaf | May 18, 2019 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
It is fun reading about a place you know thru experience, but I didn't know this Milwaukee. At least not the Milwaukee in this book. Yes, the places and street names were familiar and, people in Milwaukee misbehave as they do in other places. But I never felt as involved with the problem people and the problems they have, as I did reading this book. The real life drama of Milwaukeeans have become a little more personal with these stories. The stories ring true and describes the area and its' people as they are. Well worth reading, good stories with the taste of reality in them. ( )
  thosgpetri | May 12, 2019 |

Neubauer, Erica RuthCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Petrovich, AaronCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Belongs to Series

LibraryThing Early Reviewers

Tim Hennessy's book Milwaukee Noir is currently available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 148,122,796 books! | Top bar: Always visible