Lord of the Butterflies by Andrea Gibson

Lord of the Butterflies (2018)

by Andrea Gibson

2019 (1) depression (1) ebook (1) grief (1) LGBTQ (1) poems (1) poetry (4) suicide (1)

I would give this 10 stars if I could. Just now discovering the work of Andrea Gibson and I am blown away. The only thing more powerful than reading her work is hearing her read her work aloud. ( )
  viviennestrauss | Mar 23, 2019 |
WOW. What an exceptional collection. There wasn't a poem that didn't move, inspire, take me into someone else's perspective so deeply. ( )
1 vote Caroline_McElwee | Mar 3, 2019 |
Lord of The Butterflies
by Andrea Gibson
2018
IPBA/Button Poetry
5.0 / 5.0

Powerful and beautifully written, deep and invigorating, this is poetry and prose that reached into the depth of my soul, taking random, yet strong emotions and putting them into words. Giving them a voice.
Good poets make us feel like we belong, are understood and less alone.
Great poets can make us more aware of ourselves by sharing their own feelings. Can make us see beyond just ourselves, the interconnectivity of life.
Andrea Gibson is a good poet. She's an even better great poet. I love her!
The poems are all gay centered on topics that influence our world today....love, family, politics, friendship. The poems "Orlando" and "America Reloading" brought tears and were the most powerful, to me. "Dear Trump Voter" and "Until We Act" remind us how necessary it is for us to involved in the change we hope to see for our futures. "Your Life" and "America Wakes Up In The Middle Of The Night" were my two favorites. Stellar.....every poem.
Gibson has won a place on my bookshelf and has opened my heart and spirit to feelings I've let sit inside too long.
Amazing.
Highly recommended.
Thank you to #Netgalley and #LordOfTheButterflies for the
e-book advance copy for review.! Loved it! ( )
  over.the.edge | Jan 30, 2019 |
I received a free copy of this book from NetGalley

4 🌟

"You're going to kill your own god
so you can fall in love for the first time."

I first got interested in this book because of poetry from queer perspective but Gibson touches upon many other subjects, mainly -- politics, trump administration (they didn't capitalise his name so I won't do that as well), faith, family, disability, mental health, and suicide.

With so many subjects I would expect this not even 100 pages long work to be all over the place but it never felt like Gibson was jumping from one subject to another and the transition was so smooth I only now realised how many things they managed to include here.

I'm having trouble choosing quotes to put here - I highlighted so many. Many of those poems, or even verses, made me cry, made me rage, made me smile. But between them, there were a few that felt like they described emotions more than evoke them -- and since I read poetry to feel things -- this is the reason I'm not 5-staring this work.

"It's true
what they say about the gays
being so fashionable—
our ghosts never go
out of style"

"I'm fascinated with this idea
of getting high on life. I imagine people
on their backs in lilac fields snorting the lines
the planes leave in the sky, walking
with honeymoons in their bloodstreams."

"When she's down I want to give her my best
pick-up lines.
What's your sign?
My sign has historically been STOP
but since meeting you I've changed it

to MERGE."
  localbeehunter | Jan 15, 2019 |
For my sister

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,221,206 books! | Top bar: Always visible