Orange World and Other Stories by Karen…

Orange World and Other Stories (2019)

by Karen Russell

This is a collection of short stories to be savored. After reading Swamplandia I expected fine writing, but my expectations were exceeded. Karen Russell 's style is elegant, lyrical, and accessible, with memorable turns of phrase. The stories may seem bizarre, but the plots move along and capture our attention, and although the characters and their situations may be incredible and even distasteful, at the same time we believe in them and care. ( )
  sleahey | Jun 4, 2019 |
What Russell has accomplished with these stories are hard to describe, but I'll try. She takes what often starts off as a relatively normal situation, and then pulls the stories into a surreal world. One never knows when, how or even why it happens but it does. I'm always in awe of authors who have this kind of imagination, and write so well that the reader accepts these situations as they are. Fiendish!

This is a strong work. Eight stories, all but one I liked, the first, The Prospector my favorite. There is humor, horror, unbelievable happenings accepted as normal. They are strange, but always recognizable, the emotion true. In short, very unexpected, different, and executed well.

"Look," he says dreamily, and points to where the moon is rising, bright and enormous as the door to another Galaxy, on the opposite side of the bay."

ARc from Edelweiss. ( )
  Beamis12 | May 30, 2019 |
Orange World and Other Stories by Karen Russell is a very highly recommended collection of eight short stories.
This remarkable, memorable collection is impressive in both the writing and the story telling. Russell captures basic human truths and presents them in her curious tales. The well-written, off-beat stories have a basis in magic realism and make the bizarre seem normal. They can be strangely funny while also deeply emotional. The whole collection is truly reminiscent of Twilight Zone episodes.

The stories include:
The Prospectors: Two young women who call themselves the prospectors have an unforgettable night at a mountain lodge.
The Bad Graft: A woman becomes the host of the spirit of a Joshua Tree.
Bog Girl: A first romance blossoms between a young man and a girl he found buried in the peat of a bog.
Madame Bovary’s Greyhound: The inner thoughts and devotion of a young greyhound and her fickle mistress.
The Tornado Auction: A retired tornado farmer decides to take a chance and risk it all on raising one more tornado.
Black Corfu: A doctor whose job is to make sure the dead stay dead.
The Gondoliers: Four sisters who call themselves the Gondoliers, use echolocation by singing in order to navigate while poling people through the canals of New Florida
Orange World: A new mother made a pact for the safety of her baby and is now breast feeding the devil.

Disclosure: My review copy was courtesy of Knopf Doubleday.

http://www.shetreadssoftly.com/2019/05/orange-world-and-other-stories.html ( )
  SheTreadsSoftly | May 15, 2019 |

"From the Pulitzer finalist and universally beloved author of the New York Times best sellers Swamplandia! and Vampires in the Lemon Grove, a stunning new collection of short fiction that showcases her extraordinary gifts of language and imagination"--

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 138,091,088 books! | Top bar: Always visible