BEASTARS, Vol. 1 (1) by Paru Itagaki

BEASTARS, Vol. 1 (1) (edition 2019)

by Paru Itagaki (Author)

Series: Beastars (1)

At this high school, instead of jocks and nerds, the students are divided into predators and prey. At a high school where the students are literally divided into predators and prey, it's personal relationships that maintain the fragile peace. Who among them is a Beastar--an academic and social role model destined to become a leader in a society naturally rife with mistrust? Last night at Cherryton Academy, an herbivore student was killed and eaten. Among the members of the drama club, the herbivores' suspicions naturally turn to their carnivore classmates... The prime suspect? Legosi, a large wolf. But he wouldn't hurt a fly--or would he? And will dwarf rabbit Haru bring out the beast in him? Or are his feelings for her...something else?… (more)
Member:MisterMeowzer
Title:BEASTARS, Vol. 1 (1)
Authors:Paru Itagaki (Author)
Info:VIZ Media LLC (2019), Edition: Illustrated, 216 pages

Work Information

BEASTARS, Vol. 1 by Paru Itagaki

English (5)  Spanish (2)  All languages (7)
After watching the first couple of episodes of the anime adaptation of this series I decided I had to check out the original manga.

Volume One does not disappoint. The art is a little rough/sketchy but it works. The story is essentially the same as the anime, but I prefer the order of telling in the manga. Scenes seem to flow more smoothly here.

Characters are distinctive and fun and there is darkness afoot, far more than the family-friendly cover art suggests.

Four BEASTARS. Recommended! ( )
  freelunch | Jun 14, 2021 |
Its very Zootopia-esque. Or a more wholesome Bojack Horseman. Beastars came out, what, a few months after Zootopia? I could see the movie as an inspiration, given the speed with which manga artists must work in general.

It always interesting to see a good twist on a slice-of-life novel. I don't know how good of a twist it is as a lot of the potential problems are handwaved away - such as obligate carnivores being fed beans as their primary source of protein and no meat. It...doesn't work that way, and there are a few darker, more realistic, and more interesting ways to address this issue.

Not a terrible opening, some really good blocking. Seems like the artist team struggles to stay on-model for some characters, and I'm not entirely certain any of them have seen a horse. ( )
  kaitlynn_g | Dec 13, 2020 |
I tried to watch the anime adaptation a few months ago while browsing Netflix with my daughter, but I'm not a fan of subtitles because I like to do chores while "watching" TV. Also, it was a freaky weird show that did not appeal to my daughter at all. When the manga showed up in one of my libraries a while later, I thought I'd give it another go. This first volume overlaps pretty much entirely with the portion of the show I saw.

Anyway, this is an angsty high school melodrama with the allegorical twist being that all the students are anthropomorphized animals that fall into predator or prey cliques in their segregated school. There is much mistrust, especially since an herbivore has just been killed and everyone suspects it was one of the carnivores.

Legoshi is the male lead, an introverted guy who just wants to fly under the radar, but who happens to be a big, bad wolf, an apex predator who freaks everyone out just by standing there. All the tension from the murder mystery has everyone on edge, and the vibe is starting to awaken some dark instincts in Legoshi, especially when he is close to Haru, a dwarf rabbit who has been ostracized by the herbivores' queen bee. She's small, weak, and cut off from the herd . . .

I found it easy to identify with Legoshi, having been the big guy who'd rather read comic books than take the football coach up on his offer to buy me a brand new helmet if I'd just join the team. And I find the story intriguing enough to keep reading on through the several volumes I have on hand. ( )
  villemezbrown | Aug 21, 2020 |
Wow, this book has a lot to unpack. On the surface it seems to be a furry high school drama with anthropomorphic animals, but there's an extremely dark layer underneath all of it. The main plot line is that an Alpaca got murdered by a carnivore and no one knows who killed him. The characters are all worried and concerned, but it's not clear if there's actually an investigation going on or what. The allegory of a high school full of animals is obvious and there are definite social classes to the animals, jocks, nerds, etc... but the real story here is the dark underbelly of desire and acting out your desires.

For example, the main character is a wolf; a carnivore who desires to kill and devour. Does that mean he should? He doesn't seem to want to, but his desire almost overwhelms him at times. Is giving into your primal desires wrong? Is that what separates humans from animals? Should you feel guilty for desiring?

I was pretty unsure of this when I started reading it, but by the middle of the book, I was hooked. I'm not a huge fan of the artwork, but I got over it quickly. Great story and I'll be certain to read the rest. ( )
  spaceman5000 | Jul 23, 2020 |
Tendría que haber esperado a que saliera el dos, qué hago ahora con mi vida? ( )
  Carla_Plumed | Dec 3, 2018 |

Belongs to Series

Why now?! Why give in to your true nature now?

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 166,316,743 books! | Top bar: Always visible