Komi Can't Communicate, Vol. 1 (1) by…

Komi Can't Communicate, Vol. 1 (1) (edition 2019)

by Tomohito Oda (Author)

The journey to 100 friends begins with a single conversation. Socially anxious high school student Shoko Komi's greatest dream is to make some friends, but everyone at school mistakes her crippling social anxiety for cool reserve! With the whole student body keeping their distance and Komi unable to utter a single word, friendship might be forever beyond her reach. Timid Tadano is a total wallflower, and that's just the way he likes it. But all that changes when he finds himself alone in a classroom on the first day of high school with the legendary Komi. He quickly realizes she isn't aloof--she's just super awkward. Now he's made it his mission to help her on her quest to make 100 friends!… (more)
Member:bebopfirefly
Title:Komi Can't Communicate, Vol. 1 (1)
Authors:Tomohito Oda (Author)
Info:VIZ Media LLC (2019), Edition: Illustrated, 192 pages

Work Information

Komi Can't Communicate, Vol. 1 by Tomohito Oda

I enjoyed the art style of this, but couldn't get into the story. I guess what I've learned is that I like my manga with a little bit more fantasy than this one has. Manga + magic is a big plus.
  ca.bookwyrm | Jun 15, 2020 |

Buen comienzo. No soy muy amigo de leer mangas, pero quería saber de qué iban los memes y decidí darle una oportunidad. Es una lectura divertida, el arte es bastante original y se trata el tema del autismo desde una óptica, digamos, wholesome. Ideal para descansar un poco de libros más densas.
Daré mi veredicto definitivo en el último tomo. ( )
  little_raven | Jun 1, 2020 |
To her classmates, quiet Shoko Komi is serene, elegant, charismatic and pretty, the class goddess. But average schmo Tadano stumbles upon the secret that she suffers so greatly from social anxieties and shyness that she is electively mute and has no friends. It's one of those oddly paced humor manga where each eight page chapter consists of a string of single page gags, so it took me a while to warm up to it. But the shy girl is very cute and I found myself pulling for her every time she made a little progress toward finding friends.

There is what I thought was going to be a typical comic relief cross-dressing side character, but so far the author and/or translator actually seem to be treating them as genderfluid. We'll have to see where that goes. ( )
  villemezbrown | Sep 8, 2019 |
Hitohito Tadano has somehow been accepted to Itan Private High School, an elite prep school, despite being average in every way. His primary goal is to blend in and not make any waves.

This becomes difficult after he meets Komi, the cool, distant, and elegant girl who sits next to him in class. Tadano gradually comes to the realization that Komi isn't actually cool and distant, but rather incredibly socially anxious and bad at talking to people. Forgetting his own goals, Tadano becomes determined to help her.

I'm not sure how I feel about this series yet.

Komi was cute and, as a socially anxious person myself (although not nearly as bad), I really felt for her. And Tadano was super sweet - I loved the chalkboard conversation he had with Komi, and the way he forced himself to do something he wasn't really wild about, talk to Najimi, to help Komi make friends and connect with others. I wasn't happy about the occasional sexual jokes involving Najimi, though, and I hope Najimi's ambiguous gender doesn't become some kind of ongoing joke.

The various attempts to help Komi gain new friends and do "normal" social things were hit-or-miss for me. I loved the storyline involving Komi, her new phone, and her efforts to create her first contacts list, but I was unmoved by the group games story. Najimi's "go buy me a Frappuccino or I won't be your friend anymore" quest was a bit painful to watch, but at least Najimi realized after it was over that they'd been cruel and rightfully apologized to Komi. And while Himiko Agari, another anxious student, should have been a great new friend for Komi, that entire storyline was ruined by her off-putting "I want to be your dog" moment.

I'm a little worried that, since this is a comedy series, its focus will be on "Komi's ridiculous new friend of the week" and "watch Komi somehow make friends despite being unable to speak" rather than on any sort of character growth or even deepening of Komi's friendships. I'm not a fan of Komi's "make 100 friends" goal, and I hope that, at some point, she realizes that deepening her relationships with the friends she currently has might be more worthwhile than making a few dozen new "friends" she barely knows.

The premise reminds me a little of Kimi Ni Todoke, only more focused on humor than on romance (so far, at least). At the moment, I prefer that series, because of its focus on the heroine's POV and her deepening friendships with those around her, to this one, which feels more focused on Tadano and his perception of Komi. I'll probably read the next volume of Komi Can't Communicate at some point, to get a better idea of where Oda might be taking the series, but it'll more than likely be via a library checkout rather than another purchase.

Extras:

A couple pages of extra comics that basically boil down to "Najimi and Komi are complete opposites and likely incapable of ever understanding one another."

(Original review posted on A Library Girl's Familiar Diversions.) ( )
  Familiar_Diversions | Jun 23, 2019 |

Belongs to Series

The term "communication disorder"...describes a cluster of symptoms that cause people to experience difficulty interacting with others. Those suffering from this disorder may appear unfriendly. But the truth is...that while they appear standoffish...they actually want to have relationships.

Checklist category/categories: Translated from Japanese
Title: Komi Can't Communicate, Vol. 1
Author or Creator: Tomohito Oda
Publisher and number of pages/length of time: 192 pages
Year of publication/release: 2019
Your brief response to the title - Komi isn't much of a talker and has never really had a friend before. Everyone assumes that she has this cool aloofness too her when she really is just shy. Tadano is the first person to be her friend and has decided to help Komi get more friends.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 164,461,379 books! | Top bar: Always visible