The rest of the story by Sarah Dessen

The rest of the story (edition 2019)

by Sarah Dessen

Emma Saylor doesn't remember a lot about her mother, who died when Emma was twelve. But she does remember the stories her mom told her about the big lake that went on forever, with cold, clear water and mossy trees at the edges. Now it's just Emma and her dad, and life is good, if a little predictable ... until Emma is unexpectedly sent to spend the summer with her mother's family that she hasn't seen since she was a little girl. When Emma arrives at North Lake, she realizes there are actually two very different communities there. Her mother grew up in working class North Lake, while her dad spent summers in the wealthier Lake North resort. The more time Emma spends there, the more it starts to feel like she is also divided into two people. To her father, she is Emma. But to her new family, she is Saylor, the name her mother always called her. Then there's Roo, the boy who was her very best friend when she was little. Roo holds the key to her family's history, and slowly, he helps her put the pieces together about her past. It's hard not to get caught up in the magic of North Lake--and Saylor finds herself falling under Roo's spell as well. For Saylor, it's like a whole new world is opening up to her. But when it's time to go back home, which side of her--Emma or Saylor--will win out?… (more)
Member:Mrs.Nicaj
Title:The rest of the story
Authors:Sarah Dessen
Info:New York, NY : Balzer + Bray, an imprint of HarperCollinsPublishers, [2019]

The Rest of the Story by Sarah Dessen

Sarah Dessen books almost never disappoint.... except when it ends. I want to know what happens after. ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ ( )
  hootowl1978 | May 4, 2021 |
My favorite thing about this book was Roo, he was so cute with how he called her from the call center until he got through the entire scrapbook with her I liked exploring the lake and seeing the friend dynamics adjust over time.

I would recommend this as a summer book, especially if you are trying to figure out a new dynamic. Sarah Dessen books are best enjoyed as treats for destressing when things are too intense, but I find reading too many at once can make them feel too similar.

Overall, I'm glad I finally got around to reading this one. I feel like it has been part of my to-read list for longer than it has been published. The dad kind of bugged me, but the underage drinking was especially not cool. I mean the consequences of underage drinking were seen to an extent, but the cool friends who drink are not actually cool friends. ( )
  Emma.June.Lyon | Feb 23, 2021 |
Sarah Dessen writes very predictable, but enjoyable, young adult fiction. In this story, Emma doesn't remember her mother (who died) or her mother's family but when she is dropped off at the resort her maternal grandmother runs, she begins to remember bits and pieces of her past. Now she is divided between two completely different worlds and feels the need to choose one. ( )
  MeganAmundson | Jan 14, 2021 |
Emma Saylor suddenly finds herself at her deceased mother’s home for the summer where she has family who knows her--but she doesn't remember at all. They also know stories of her mother she’s never been told. Some that dad has wanted to protect her from. When Emma/Saylor finds out she’s thought of as the “spoiled rich cousin,” she sets out to change everyone’s opinion of her, and find out for herself who she really is, Emma or Saylor, and where she is from. Working at her Grandmother’s motel, cleaning rooms, goes a long way to keeping her busy, and helping her to fit in. She gains insights into family, friendships, and more.

“But all my life I’d felt more like an observer than an active participant…. Maybe there was a middle ground between living too hard and living at all, Maybe, here, I was finding it.” (Saylor p. 223)

readingbeader | Oct 29, 2020 |
I really enjoyed the beginning of this one. Once Emma gets to the Lake though, things slowed down. I had some issues with pacing and it lost my interest. I ended up DNF this one. ( )
  SimplyKelina | Sep 18, 2020 |

GenreThing

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 160,341,812 books! | Top bar: Always visible