And Now For Something Completely Different

by Jodi Taylor

Here's a question for you. What's the most exciting thing ever found in a fire bucket? And don't say 'fire' because you'll be wrong.   Suppose - just suppose - it was the technology to take a pod to Mars? Yeah, now we're talking!   Every Christmas, for reasons which seem good at the time - especially after an eggnog or two - Max and the others leap into the nearest pod and indulge in their illegal Christmas jump. It's a tradition. This year, however, just to be different, they find themselves part of someone else's illegal Christmas jump. It's time to don a spacesuit and bring your own urine!… (more)

Considering that historians generally equate Christmas with hijinx, this really IS a Christmas story. :)

That being said, our intrepid pee-drenched explorers head to mars against all good sensibilities, precautions, and common sense. Especially since doing so inevitably screws up... everything. History, the timeline, other expeditions... who cares! It's now all about Covering One's Ass.

Good thing we're on the historian's side... right?

Fun story! ( )
  bradleyhorner | Jun 1, 2020 |
Absolutely totally different from other short stories in this series. Rather than travel thru time, the characters travel thru space for a special Christmas trip to Mars! Although not a favorite in the series, this one has laugh-out-loud moments I stifled because I was reading during insomnia and didn’t want to wake the hubby. But I was definitely full-body chuckling. Which is why I love this series! ( )
  KarenMonsen | Dec 19, 2019 |
Full review to come! ( )
  Floratina | Dec 7, 2019 |
A new wrinkle for the annual intrepid Christmas Jump. Another planet, why not? The dialogue between the Commanders is appropriately apt and entertaining Abbott and Costello who made a similar journey would have loved it. ( )
  jamespurcell | Sep 25, 2019 |
And Now For Something Completely Different - Taylor
Audio performance by Zara Ramm
2 stars

This is a short story from Taylor’s ongoing time travel series. A very short story. Listening time came in just under 2 hours. Of the two hours, possibly 30 minutes held new material. I didn’t object when the author rehashed background from previous books in her preface, but when characters in the story reiterate exactly the same material, this was obviously padding to meet a required word count.
The actual story about an illicit ‘jump’ to the first human Mars landing was mildly entertaining. However, it suffered from the very tired, overused, body fluid jokes. And, it didn’t help that the author took the narrative voice away from Maxwell. Overall, a disappointment. ( )
  msjudy | Dec 29, 2018 |

Belongs to Series

The Chronicles of St Mary's (9.2 short story)

Is contained in

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 164,413,158 books! | Top bar: Always visible