Have you checked out SantaThing, LibraryThing's gift-giving tradition?
dismiss

De testamenten by Margaret Atwood
When the van door slammed on Offred’s future at the end of The handmaid’s tale, readers had no way of telling what lay ahead. With The testaments, the wait is over. Margaret Atwood’s sequel picks up the story more than 15 years after Offred stepped into the unknown, with the explosive testaments of three female narrators from Gilead.… (more)
Member:jankaldenbach
Title:De testamenten
Authors:Margaret Atwood
Other authors:Lidwien Biekmann, Tjadine Stheeman
Info:Amsterdam Prometheus 2019
Rating:****1/2

The Testaments by Margaret Atwood (2019)

Future Home of the Living God by Louise Erdrich (vwinsloe)
    Abigail by Magda Szabó (Dilara86)
    Dilara86: One is speculative fiction, the other isn't, but they both take place in a girls-only school at a time of war/unrest and describe female microcosms, friendships between teenage girls and ambiguous authority figures.

English (130)  Spanish (3)  Dutch (2)  German (2)  French (1)  All languages (138)
Sequels typically disappoint, and one written over thirty years after its predecessor is all but written by a different author given the maturation of time and culture. I do think there are stylistic differences between The Testaments and The Handmaid's Tale, (most obviously the triple narrators of The Testaments) but this sequel does well in keeping the integrity of the original story's world and themes and giving its fans a credible continuation that also adds more to the story. For in the Testaments we learn how Gilead came to be and how it came to fall. In 1985, it seemed like the story was far off in some distant future. In 2019, with The Testaments, it feels like it almost could happen tomorrow. Scarier. Atwood acquiesced to her fans in writing this novel but she did not compromise her integrity as one of Canada's greatest novelists. Her story here continues her astute observations of society, its treatment of people, our relationship with religious beliefs, and her amazing imagination.
Worth the read if you like dystopia literature. ( )
  LDVoorberg | Nov 22, 2020 |
Well written. The story unfolds through separate testimonies of 3 characters whose lives become entwined. You learn much more about the backstory behind Gilead but are still left to ponder how Aunt Lydia came to the decision to play the long game and what that cost her in terms of her soul. ( )
  CarolBurrows | Nov 16, 2020 |
While the narrative stands on its own merits it definitely reflects back to the handmaid's tale. It evokes a strange hateful and unreal seeming society. While their is always the fear that such could evolve it is better to experience it as a work of imagination. ( )
  waldhaus1 | Nov 11, 2020 |
The Testaments was a very good book, engrossing, exciting, horrifying. I only wish that the book had more helpful headers to help me understand whose story I was reading now; there were three of them, and often I got confused. ( )
  ahef1963 | Nov 10, 2020 |
A worthy sequel. I liked it just as much as the classic book. And, finally, some hope! ( )
1 vote DPinSvezia | Nov 9, 2020 |
Agency and strength, Atwood seems to be suggesting, do not require a heroine with the visionary gifts of Joan of Arc, or the ninja skills of a Katniss Everdeen or Lisbeth Salander — there are other ways of defying tyranny, participating in the resistance or helping ensure the truth of the historical record. The very act of writing or recording one’s experiences, Atwood argues, is “an act of hope.” Like messages placed in bottles tossed into the sea, witness testimonies count on someone, somewhere, being there to read their words [...]

Atwood, Margaretprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Bar, NomaCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Dean, SuzanneCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Belongs to Series

“Every woman is supposed to have the same set of motives, or else to be a monster.” —GEORGE ELIOT, DANIEL DERONDA
“When we look one another in the face, we’re neither of us just looking at a face we hate—no, we’re gazing into a mirror….Do you really not recognize yourselves in us…?” —OBERSTURMBANNFÜHRER LISS TO OLD BOLSHEVIK MOSTOVSKOY, VASILY GROSSMAN, LIFE AND FATE
“Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake….It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one.” —URSULA K. LE GUIN, THE TOMBS OF ATUAN
Only dead people are allowed to have statues, but I have been given one while still alive.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 152,447,240 books! | Top bar: Always visible