The Testaments: A Novel by Margaret Atwood

The Testaments: A Novel (original 2019; edition 2020)

by Margaret Atwood (Author)

4,1171792,349 (4.07)1 / 258
More than fifteen years after the events of The Handmaid's Tale, the theocratic regime of the Republic of Gilead maintains its grip on power, but there are signs it is beginning to rot from within. At this crucial moment, the lives of three radically different women converge, with potentially explosive results. Two have grown up as part of the first generation to come of age in the new order. The testimonies of these two young women are joined by a third voice: a woman who wields power through the ruthless accumulation and deployment of secrets. As Atwood unfolds The Testaments, she opens up the innermost workings of Gilead as each woman is forced to come to terms with who she is, and how far she will go for what she believes.… (more)
Member:jeff.coatsworth
Title:The Testaments: A Novel
Authors:Margaret Atwood (Author)
Info:Anchor (2020), 448 pages
Tags:2022-05 #20

Work Information

The Testaments by Margaret Atwood (Author) (2019)

The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood (sturlington)
    sturlington: Obvious connection but there you go.
    Future Home of the Living God by Louise Erdrich (vwinsloe)
    Abigail by Magda Szabó (Dilara86)
    Dilara86: One is speculative fiction, the other isn't, but they both take place in a girls-only school at a time of war/unrest and describe female microcosms, friendships between teenage girls and ambiguous authority figures.

English (169)  Dutch (3)  Spanish (3)  German (2)  French (2)  All languages (179)
Not Atwood's best (but the standard is very high). Nice to know how things turn out for the characters in A handmaid's Tale (and for Gilead). ( )
  Estragon1958 | May 23, 2022 |
Good read! Blends nicely after Handmaid's Tale the book and Hulu show. ( )
  BarbF410 | May 22, 2022 |
Review coming soon on Sci Fi and Scary ( )
  whatmeworry | Apr 9, 2022 |
I liked how Atwood tied this story to The Handmaid's Tale in that I got some closure for the questions I had at the end of that book. There were parts I really liked such as learning Aunt Lydia's origin story. The ending was too neatly tied up for my taste. ( )
  Dairyqueen84 | Mar 15, 2022 |
Honestly - it just wasn't all that good. A sloppy grab for cash? Probably ... ( )
  donhazelwood | Mar 12, 2022 |
Agency and strength, Atwood seems to be suggesting, do not require a heroine with the visionary gifts of Joan of Arc, or the ninja skills of a Katniss Everdeen or Lisbeth Salander — there are other ways of defying tyranny, participating in the resistance or helping ensure the truth of the historical record. The very act of writing or recording one’s experiences, Atwood argues, is “an act of hope.” Like messages placed in bottles tossed into the sea, witness testimonies count on someone, somewhere, being there to read their words [...]

Atwood, MargaretAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Bar, NomaCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Cardinal, TantooNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Dean, SuzanneCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Dowd, AnnNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Howard, Bryce DallasNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Jacobi, DerekNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Whitman, MaeNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
“Every woman is supposed to have the same set of motives, or else to be a monster.” —GEORGE ELIOT, DANIEL DERONDA
“When we look one another in the face, we’re neither of us just looking at a face we hate—no, we’re gazing into a mirror….Do you really not recognize yourselves in us…?” —OBERSTURMBANNFÜHRER LISS TO OLD BOLSHEVIK MOSTOVSKOY, VASILY GROSSMAN, LIFE AND FATE
“Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake….It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one.” —URSULA K. LE GUIN, THE TOMBS OF ATUAN
Only dead people are allowed to have statues, but I have been given one while still alive.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 170,341,782 books! | Top bar: Always visible