Tristan Strong Punches a Hole in the Sky (A…

Tristan Strong Punches a Hole in the Sky (A Tristan Strong Novel, Book 1)… (edition 2020)

by Kwame Mbalia (Author)

Series: Tristan Strong (1), Rick Riordan Presents (Tristan Strong 1)

Tristan Strong feels anything but strong ever since he failed to save his best friend Eddie when they were in a bus accident together. But on his first night at his grandparents' farm, a sticky creature shows up in his bedroom and steals Eddie's notebook. When Tristan chases after, he finds himself in the middle of a battle that has left black American folk heroes John Henry and Brer Rabbit exhausted. In order to get back home, Tristan and these new allies will need to entice the god Anansi to come out of hiding. Can Tristan save this world before he loses more of the things he loves?… (more)
Member:MissSherwood
Title:Tristan Strong Punches a Hole in the Sky (A Tristan Strong Novel, Book 1) (Tristan Strong, 1)
Authors:Kwame Mbalia (Author)
Info:Rick Riordan Presents (2020), Edition: Reprint, 528 pages

Work Information

Tristan Strong Punches a Hole in the Sky by Kwame Mbalia

“Are you ready to be a hero?”
“No.”
Honestly this had such a relatable hero. Young Tristan is such a fantastic character and I really enjoyed this book! I can’t wait for book 2 to come out so I can see where the story goes!
I gotta say though that there were a lot of gods in this that I did not know about and was fascinated to read about! I grew up on Greek, Roman, and Egyptian myths so this was very refreshing to learn about new gods and tales. ( )
  klcarmack | Nov 12, 2021 |
I bought this book on release day after following all the hype on twitter, and my kids picked it for bedtime story shortly thereafter.

This is one of those books that I think would have worked better reading at your own pace rather than as a read aloud book. I think reading it only one chapter at a time broke up the momentum and undermined the urgency. Don't get me wrong, the kids enjoyed this story, I just think they might have gotten more excited if they'd been able to binge-read it.

I remember reading about some of these stories and characters as a kid, and it was fun to see them again, all connected in one big story. I am very curious about some of these characters and how they will come back in the sequel — especially Tristan's family "in the real world." How will his adventures and heroics, mostly based in storytelling, affect his boxing bouts? his relationship to his family? It sounds like I am definitely here for book two. I suppose I should go ahead and pre-order!

It seems I am reading more and more Anansi stories, and I like it. ( )
  greeniezona | Sep 17, 2021 |
Coretta Scott King Honor Award. Rick Riordan Presents. Maps.
  VillageProject | Aug 24, 2021 |
Chicago teenager Tristan Strong is sent to his grandparents in Alabama for the summer after his friend Eddie is killed in an accident. On his first night there, a creature steals Eddie's journal and Tristan chases him into the woods, where Tristan accidentally punches a hole into the ground near a bottle tree, breaking one of the bottles and tearing a hole into another realm. He and the creature (Gum Baby) (the thief) fall into the realm taking a freed haint with them. Tristan finds himself in a world where African-American myths are real: he meets John Henry, Brer Fox and Brer Rabbit and discovers he is a storyteller. He also realized the realm is in deep trouble because of his error.

While I wanted to like this book, I just couldn't. It was too disjointed, the mythical characters were not understandable nor explained, except Gum Baby was a riot. And Tristan kept alternating between being strong and weak. ( )
  skipstern | Jul 11, 2021 |
*reviewed from uncorrected ARC*

diverse children's middlegrade adventure fiction - humor/adventure
Funny, entertaining, exciting ride of a read, from the very first page to the very last. Highly recommended, along with the other diverse #ownvoices books published under RR's imprint (especially [b:Sal and Gabi Break the Universe|36595887|Sal and Gabi Break the Universe (Sal and Gabi, #1)|Carlos Hernandez|https://i.gr-assets.com/images/S/compressed.photo.goodreads.com/books/1536087897l/36595887._SY75_.jpg|58346652] but also [b:Aru Shah and the End of Time|36222611|Aru Shah and the End of Time (Pandava Quartet, #1)|Roshani Chokshi|https://i.gr-assets.com/images/S/compressed.photo.goodreads.com/books/1506615949l/36222611._SX50_.jpg|56242795] and [b:Dragon Pearl|34966859|Dragon Pearl|Yoon Ha Lee|https://i.gr-assets.com/images/S/compressed.photo.goodreads.com/books/1517413544l/34966859._SX50_.jpg|56241840]) for the characters that look and act like kids we all know, and for great humor and action-filled stories. I would also highly recommend [b:Charlie Hernández and the League of Shadows|36347821|Charlie Hernández and the League of Shadows|Ryan Calejo|https://i.gr-assets.com/images/S/compressed.photo.goodreads.com/books/1535685480l/36347821._SX50_.jpg|58029088] which is not published under this imprint but which is also very funny and entertaining. ( )
  reader1009 | Jul 3, 2021 |

Kwame Mbaliaprimary authorall editionscalculated
Riordan, RickIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Belongs to Series

Rick Riordan Presents (Tristan Strong 1)

This book reminds me of The Magical Adventures of Pretty Pearl. It includes characters from African and African American mythology. Rick Riordan praises it as adding to literature about myths, gods, and goddesses.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 164,438,984 books! | Top bar: Always visible