dismiss

Tacoma Stories by Richard Wiley

Tacoma Stories

by Richard Wiley

"Richard Wiley is one of our best writers. These stories satisfy in the way that brilliant short fiction always satisfies; one feels as if one has absorbed the expansive vision and drama of a novel. Read slowly, and I bet you'll want to read again." --Richard Bausch, author ofPeace andLiving in the Weather of the World "It's a strange and winsome feeling I have, readingTacoma Stories, the blue sensation that Richard Wiley has made me homesick for a place I've never been, mourning the loss of friends I never had, in a life where each and every one of us is loved, however imperfectly. Think Sherwood Anderson inhabiting Raymond Carver's Northwest and you'll have a clear picture of Wiley's accomplishment." --Bob Shacochis, author ofEasy in the Islands andThe Woman Who Lost Her Soul On St. Patrick's Day in 1968, sixteen people sit in Pat's Tavern, drink green beer, flirt, rib each other, and eventually go home in (mostly) different directions. In the stories that follow, which span 1958 to the present, Richard Wiley pops back into the lives of this colorful cast of characters--sometimes into their pasts, sometimes into their futures--and explores the ways in which their individual narratives indelibly weave together. At the heart of it all lies Tacoma, Washington,a town full of eccentricities and citizens as unique as they are universal. The Tacoma ofTacoma Stories might be harboring paranoid former CIA operatives and wax replicas of dead husbands, but it is also a place with all the joys and pains one could find in any town, anytime and anywhere. Richard Wiley is the author of eight novels includingBob Stevenson;Soldiers in Hiding, winner of the PEN/Faulkner Award for Fiction and the Washington State Book Award; andAhmed's Revenge, winner of the Maria Thomas Fiction Award. Professor emeritus at the University of Nevada, Las Vegas, he divides his time between Los Angeles, California, and Tacoma, Washington.… (more)

This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
A loosely connected short story collection based on people living in or with some connection with Tacoma, Washington. I particularly liked "The Man Who Looked at the Floor". about a man who is a retired secret agent who thinks that "the man" is spying on him. So he asks his wife to go undercover and meet "the man". The problems is that the relationship goes so well that he wished he hadn't encouraged her. Some stories are memorable and some are forgettable. Overall the book is worth reading. ( )
  muddyboy | Apr 7, 2019 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Tacoma Stories is a short story collection that spans sixty years and follows the lives of sixteen people who once all frequented the same dive bar in sleepy Tacoma, Washington. The characters are vivid and as varied as you can get; the stories highlighting different parts of their lives and their secrets; often times the characters will pop up in each others stories, never content to be alone. From love affairs to goat murder to Ted Bundy's house; this collection is all over the place, yet somehow so cohesive; the characters weaving in and out of each other's lives; often times in the most dramatic ways. Amusing, chilling, and sometimes downright bizarre, readers of short story collections with a unified theme will enjoy this. ( )
  ecataldi | Feb 20, 2019 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Can Bellevue Literary Press do no wrong? With this charming and edgy collection of short pieces they have produced yet another volume in the humane and thoughtful tradition they are known for. I loved the first -centerpiece- story set in Pat's Irish bar on St Patrick's Day in Tacoma. It has all the weird richness needed to flow through the remaining stories -some not quite as engaging as others yet all fulfilling in their quirkiness and poetry. Not every author could pull off a move as wacky as having Orson Wells' daughter (with Rita Hayworth)be a bar regular and make it work . Amazing. ( )
1 vote michaelg16 | Feb 19, 2019 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I received this book as part of the Early Reviewers program on Library Thing.

I really enjoyed how Wiley wrote several interrelated stories featuring a group of folks in attendance at a St. Patrick's Day party in a bar in Tacoma. It was a creative way to present their stories. However, I would have enjoyed the book better had it been written in chronological order and I would not have spend so much time and brain power trying to keep the timeline and relationships straight. I found myself having to go back to other stories and reread to make the connections. Individually, the stories were well-written, I just didn't like the way Wiley connected them.

It was a fun book and I recommend it as a fun way to spend an afternoon. Also appreciated (and used) the branded beer mat sent along with the book! ;^) ( )
  DuffDaddy | Feb 18, 2019 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Tacoma Series is a series of loosely interconnected short stories following the lives of thirteen people gathered in a Tacoma bar on St. Patrick’s Day of 1968, with each story set a different amount of time after 1968. The stories were well-written, although I found that the connections between them were so loose and vague that I kept stopping my reading to flip back to other stories to check details - ultimately it made for a fractured reading experience. ( )
  sarahlu82 | Feb 13, 2019 |

LibraryThing Early Reviewers

Richard Wiley's book Tacoma Stories is currently available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 146,748,334 books! | Top bar: Always visible