The Most Fun We Ever Had: A Novel by Claire…

The Most Fun We Ever Had: A Novel (edition 2019)

by Claire Lombardo (Author)

Longlisted for the Women's Prize for Fiction When Marilyn Connolly and David Sorenson fall in love in the 1970s, they are blithely ignorant of all that awaits them. By 2016, their four radically different daughters are in a state of unrest. Wendy, widowed young, soothes herself with booze and younger men; Violet, a litigator turned stay-at-home-mom, battles anxiety and self-doubt; Liza, a neurotic and newly tenured professor, finds herself pregnant with a baby she's not sure she wants by a man she's not sure she loves; and Grace, the dawdling youngest daughter, begins living a lie that no one in her family even suspects. With the arrival of Jonah Bendt--a child placed for adoption by one of the daughters fifteen years before--the Sorensons will be forced to reckon with the rich and varied tapestry of their past: years marred by adolescent angst, infidelity, and resentment, but also the transcendent moments of joy that make everything else worthwhile.… (more)
Member:AlexaYM
Title:The Most Fun We Ever Had: A Novel
Authors:Claire Lombardo (Author)
Info:Doubleday (2019), 544 pages

The Most Fun We Ever Had by Claire Lombardo

English (33)  Dutch (1)  All languages (34)
This book was perfect from start to finish. Someone said "I need the Lifetime Movie!"

GAWD NO. Do not let Lifetime or Hallmark ruin this story. It would be such a disservice to Wendy. This book deserves an HBO or Netflix series.

Also, I wish I could get my hands on the 400 pages that I think I read the author had to cut. Gimme more!!!! ( )
  Jinjer | Jul 19, 2021 |
Oh, how I love this kind of novel, and I'm so glad that Claire Lombardo invented the Sorensons! From the acknowledgments, it sounds like they are based on the Lombardos more than a little bit, but the author's eye (and ear) for the micro level nuances of relationships within a family are quite her own. Aside from a few minor complaints, I am utterly dazzled. ( )
  CaitlinMcC | Jul 11, 2021 |
Marilyn and David have three daughters. You will come to know them all well--their fears and foibles, successes and failures. I love it when I identify with characters, thinking "this is so real," flipping back and forth between who I like best, and who I'm most angry with. Saying to one or another: "Why did you do THAT?" or "Big mistake, mister!" or "Yes, you're right!" I love that the daughters, each with her own personality (of course!), issues, and problems, think that none of them can possibly live up to what they perceive as their parents' "perfect" marriage, when of course, we learn that it has often been anything but.

You'll laugh, you'll cry, you'll want more. ( )
  cherybear | May 28, 2021 |
Review to come ( )
  purple_pisces22 | Mar 14, 2021 |
Started out strong and then fell flat. I had 30 pages left and didnt finish because I cared so little about the characters. I just didnt want to bring it into the New Year with me so it will go unfinished,
1/2 star for the writing. ( )
  Lynsey2 | Jan 3, 2021 |

Lombardo, Claireprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Rankin, EmilyNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Sally and Tony Lombardo,
MY MOM AND DAD
Other people overwhelmed her.
So he was left with the women, Violet and Liza and Wendy and Marilyn all staring at him like a horror-movie coven of unassuming kindergarten teachers who were about to disembowel him.
She'd given up so much and so little when she agreed to marry him, but he had been so fixated on having her that he had rarely stopped to consider what it would mean for her to allow herself to be had. This is how he saw it: getting her, winning. It wasn't fair. She deserved more.
Marriage, she had learned, was a strangely pleasurable power game, a careful balance of competing egos, conflicting moods. She could turn hers off in order to allow his to shine. Conservation. Reciprocity. She was allowed to feel confident and excited only when he was feeling anxious and pessimistic. If he worried about everything, she was allowed to worry about nothing.
And it was weird, she thought, feeling adult and aware, how a thing so terrible as losing someone could yield goodness in the ones who were left.
It wasn't always the most logical decision that was the right decision.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 160,427,638 books! | Top bar: Always visible