The Conspiracy (Maximum Security Book 1) by…

The Conspiracy (Maximum Security Book 1)

by Kat Martin

202764,146 (3.25)None

I really love romantic suspense, and this one sounded amazing. Unfortunately, this was not for me and I did end up DNF (did not finish) this one.

This started off really strong, and I thought I would run through this one. Then it took a turn that just lost me. I was not expecting pirates and rebels and such. It was just not something that interested me enough to continue.

I also love romance, and need some sort of romance in a story to really love it. This just did not work for me. It was like steamy and sexy thoughts and scenes were thrown in at the very wrong times. It annoyed me.

Overall, this is disappointing as book two is also on the way and I have no desire to pick it up at this time. ( )
  SimplyKelina | Jul 6, 2019 |
The Conspiracy by Kat Martin
Maximum Security #1

Great introduction to what will no doubt be a wonderful suspense packed romantic thrill ride provided book by book. In book one we meet the Garrett brothers, find out a bit about them and what they do, learn about Maximum Security (one of the businesses of the Garrett brothers) and are introduced to a number of people that may show up in future books of the series. That said...THIS book is about Chase Garrett and Harper Winston.

Harper’s brother Michael has not checked in for a long enough time that she is worried and the person she feels most likely to help her find him is Garrett. So, she approaches him and in the first portion of the book the two head off together to follow the trail and try to find out what is what. This section is filled with suspense and action and seems to conclude only to have a twist appear that leads the story on to another story line that is still related to the reason Michael disappeared in the first place.

Back in the USA again the story continues with Harper in danger and potential romance happening between Harper and Chase although the two do have some questions about whether or not they should pursue a relationship. And...I don’t want to give anything away so will say there was some yes-no-maybe going on but both really do like one another so it is more than likely they will get their HEA.

In addition to the main thread of this story there are a few Maximum Security jobs undertaken that give an idea of what types of stories might occur in future books of the series. Maximum Security provides body guards, does private investigative work, seeks the lost and runaways, coordinates with police and other law enforcement bodies, does bail bond enforcement and no doubt other things, too. The men that work for the firm are many and hunky and worth thinking about and no doubt will get books as the series progresses.

There was a lot going on and in many ways this is more a romantic suspense fantasy than reality story. Why? Well...humans are just that and not superheroes but then...when you pick up fiction you have to leave reality behind...at least a bit.

* Did I enjoy this book? Yes
* Do I want to read more books in this series? Definitely...I mean...Hawk? Of COURSE I want to read his story!

Thank you to NetGalley and Harlequin for the ARC – This is my honest review.

3-4 Stars ( )
  CathyGeha | Jan 22, 2019 |

"Martin keeps the twists and turns coming in the sensuous and spirited first Maximum Security romantic thriller.... Readers will find it hard to wait for the next book in this tantalizing series about detectives, bodyguards, and bounty hunters." ?Publishers Weekly New York Times bestselling author Kat Martin raises the tension and the passion when family ambition turns deadly... Harper Winston's brother has disappeared. Pursuing his dream of sailing the Caribbean, Michael hasn't responded to texts or emails in days. When even the Coast Guard can't find him, Harper is forced to take desperate measures. Which means going to Chase Garrett, once her brother's best friend, now the only man she can trust...or so she hopes. As the successful owner of Maximum Security, Chase has learned to trust his gut. He knows Harper's father is mixed up in a deadly business, and suspects there's more to Michael's disappearance than meets the eye. Getting involved again with the Winstons goes against everything he stands for, yet old loyalties die hard. As the case draws him closer to Harper and deeper into the Winstons' snarled crime family, he is forced to put everything on the line to keep Harper safe...and both of them alive.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 136,349,512 books! | Top bar: Always visible